Main Menu

Pets corner

Started by strontium71, 21 January, 2013, 10:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningChimera

If my girlfriend ever sees this thread I am screwed...

mogzilla

surely a good reason to show her then?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Emp

On the topic of surnames for cats...i always thought it was a bit condescending for people at the vets a just decide that they could come out and say "(insert pet name)(insert your surname)...which is why i decided to give them something to call out...my current mog is called  Sylvan Ivanovich Sylvan Black Daughter of Ivan Iron Claw the Great, amazing how they balk at reading that out :D

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 May, 2014, 12:09:02 AM
Treated my cat to a bit of ham tonight. Within five minutes of doing so she'd brought me a mouse.

Can I borrow her ? We have something of a local rodent problem.

Radbacker

Three cats and nary a mouse in the house, they are great exterminators, unfortunately nary a bird in the yard either :(
As for sir names they are great but only one of mine has the full treatment, Susuli Bang Bang Yidihono (the vet loves it and calls the whole thing out when he visits) the other two are stick with plain old Toolie and Gerty,y forth cat was a lovely ginger named Ernie, Ernie and Gert were the best of friends unfortunatelyy housemates missus wouldn't let us desex him and of course he wondered and never came home, she still won't admit it was her fault for not letting us get him the chop but as anyone whose had a Tom should know the pull of the female is too strong for them to resist.

Two dogs Mate and Kira are no where near as much fun but keep the burglars away.

CU Radnacker

The Doctor Alt 8

Charlie boy

My oldest cat started Sunday with something of a limp that had me assuming she had caught a claw while climbing up onto the bed or something when I was at work. Come the afternoon she was completely avoiding using her right (front) leg and struggling to remain balanced when standing and since the night she has been struggling to get herself up off the ground. She's clearly had arthritis for a while now due to her age but now it looks like her legs are going. All calls I've made to the various vets today have only seen a couple forward the details of emergency practices, all miles away from where I live and I doubt I could afford the taxi fare with it being time and a half or whatever with it being a bank holiday on top of the veterinary bills so it's going to have to be a trip to the vet's first thing tomorrow morning and I've a feeling that today is going to be the last full day I have with her. I've been expecting this day for some time for various reasons, over a year if I'm honest, but I can't say that has made it any easier.

ZenArcade

Terribly sorry to hear that man, make it a good day. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Charlie boy

Cheers mate but given her age, all she ever really wants to do is sleep in her little den inside the cupboard. Even though it isn't funny, I can't help but see humour in how a few family members are rushing over now to see her in case it is their last chance. This'll be the cat who'll probably be thinking "What do you lot want? Leave me alone, I'm relaxing here" as we no doubt try and coax her out with offers of treats.

TordelBack

That's very rough, Charlie.  All the best with that.

We've entered the endgame with our dog, as his control of his lower body degenerates even further, so that he's now pretty much doubly incontinent and having real difficulty getting up.  He's still able to run a bit, but walking is becoming a real problem. We've been stalling on doing anything for a while now, since he still seems to be enjoying life, and only last month was pelting along the beach like a puppy, even if he paid for it later.  This weekend we tried to assess his quality of life, and weigh how many more crazy runs he has left against the frustration of being unable to get  up out of his own waste. 

My wife will be completely devastated, as he works with her every day, and he's barely been away from her side for 13 years, and he's been my beloved walking and swimming companion for as long.  And that's not even thinking of the kids, who have played with him all their lives.  But putting matters off isn't helping any of us. 

How you judge these things rationally I just don't know, but even trying to think about it makes me want to cry. 

Bloody pets, why do we do this to ourselves?

Charlie boy

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 May, 2014, 12:37:04 PM

You've reminded me of my dad's response on being asked why he hasn't had any pets for years (unless you count when me and my cat were still living with him), which is you get attached to them and then they die at an age you consider to be young.
Truth be told, whenever I've fed my two for the last few months, I've found myself picking Poppy up and carrying her into the kitchen to place her down at her bowl and I've long had to help her up onto the bed etc before her leg unexpectedly worsened.  It's hard for me because she's still been purring whenever I've stroked her since yesterday but you can see something of frustration or bewilderment when she tries moving about and outright surprise when she tries standing and drops to the side. I was really hoping when the time came she would go peacefully in her sleep due to all the years I've had her (practically grown up with her) but I guess the vet could be the most peaceful I could make it for her. But yes, it's still shit though.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 May, 2014, 12:37:04 PM

I suppose it's for those years of companionship.

Had four cats. 3 had to be put to sleep for various reasons (all lived a decent age. One made it to 17). The fourth and last lived to be twelve and then had, I presume, a heart attack whilst asleep in the garden.

Now have a dog which we have had for just under two years. We got her as an 8 week old pup. Spends all day with me and follows me around wherever I go.

That's going to be hard when she goes. Hopefully got a fair while yet (she may even outlive me if I'm very unlucky).

Sorry to hear about your cat, Charlie. All the best for both of you  :(

Charlie boy

Managed to get a lift to an emergency vets (PDSA; can't sing their praises enough for the pet care I received while I was unemployed and even today, after telling them I'm in employment, they told me the cost for today's visit was donation only). The vet took a good look at her and said an x ray would be the best thing to do but he wasn't up to doing it as an x ray doesn't count as emergency treatment plus my cat's advanced age means sedating her so she could have an x ray is a risk. From examining her he also believes she has an overactive thyroid, meaning tomorrow brings a trip to a private vet for the x ray that could be a risk as well as blood tests for an overactive thyroid. Seeing how he was continually telling me that every form of potential examination and treatment is a risk due to her age, I'm about to run to the shops and buy the ham slices etc she's so fond of to make sure she has a good night tonight and I'm hoping the painkilling injections she received today carry on through to the morning at least.

moly

TordelBack

Well, it's done.  Tá mo chroí briste.