Main Menu

MEG 334 - This Means War.

Started by vzzbux, 15 March, 2013, 09:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Really enjoyed download tales2 this month

BPP

I've not done a page count with this run of American Reaper but for the first book the page count of comics in the Meg was expanded without any increase in cost.

Of course if you don't want extra free pages fine.

Thought the Meg was great this time out. Now get Wagner back in the prog so we can get away from the dross Dredd of late.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Goaty

Wow...  :o

That was a beautiful final page of Insurrection III, with two humans, gorilla and robots all arms up, with great final line, "What the drokk was that?"

AND I GOT REALLY BIG  :o :o :o :o :o on next page on my digital copy, the teaser of next Meg with Ex-CJ  Francisco back on the streets!

Mabs

Judge Dredd Megazine #334

A very fun Meg this month.

The cover art by Neil Roberts was absolutely beautiful (giving us a small glimpse perhaps of how Insurrection would look in colour).

As for the line-up, we started off with Judge Dredd (Toughlove); a very funny story by Wagner and Willsher. Rojer Golightly has a crush on Dredd, a crush no manner of rehab or therapy will erase... Yes, even getting crushed by Dinosaurs on Cursed Earth! The fantasy element toward the end was very funny; Dredd's Brokeback Mountain moment! The artwork was excellent by Willsher with some funny nods such as Yassa; the movie starring 'Urb Karlan' which everyone is queuing up to see in the begining.

It was a thrilling finale to Hondo City Justice (Revenge of the 47 Ronin). And some startling revelations at the end about Judge Inaba. I've really enjoyed this story since it started a few Meg's back. Mike Collin's artwork has been a joy to behold, as has the story by Robbie Morrison. I hope we can see the start of a new series soon, especially when you consider that ending.

American Reaper continues to divide opinion among readers, but i've enjoyed it. And this month we had what was basically one long chase as our protagonist tries to dodge a 'smart' bullet. It was a really fun ride maybe not too much on character development side of things but hell, i still enjoyed it.

Now, Insurrection was a total drokking revelation - easily the best strip in this months line up. I was simply awed by Colin MacNeil's artwork from the first page and Dan Abnett's terrific storytelling. As the story transpired so i felt my soul had left my body and i had ascended to Zarjaz heaven. Seriously, i was so immersed in MacNeil's beautiful b&w panels, i was lost in it for a moment - transported to the vivid world that i was witnessing. That is what special artwork can do when created by a special individual. And Colin MacNeil is indeed, very special. It can move mountains within your mind or traverse through vast star constellations in the blink of an eye.

And i wasn't even familiar with Insurrection to start with, this being my first reading! Awesome stuff indeed and i can't wait for the next instalment.

As for the non comic stuff; Interrogation was insightful, looking at Warren Pleece (Dandridge) and his work. Another Interrogation was with Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) which i thoroughly enjoyed reading. Fiction (Going Wheely by T.C Eglington) was a nice read. I really hope we can get thoughts from Henry Flint, Patrick Goddard or Colin MacNeil in the future; those are some of the few names whose work i've been very impressed with over the last few months.

The floppy (Downlode Tales v.2) was very enjoyable too. There was some really outstanding artwork from Chris Weston and co. And the story was full of twisted humour, the opener had me laughing out loud. And thanks to this floppy i now know why Dexter has the Sony logo on top of his left eyebrow (which i might've missed on the first volume). But having said that, a part of me wishes we could've had Finn Book 2 much earlier.

So overall an enjoyable Meg, with Insurrection and Dredd being the stand out for me.

--------

Panel of the month;

Insurrection (last panel). Sublime.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Cactus

Quote from: Mabs on 02 April, 2013, 02:44:10 PMThe floppy (Downlode Tales v.2) was very enjoyable too. There was some really outstanding artwork from Chris Weston and co. And the story was full of twisted humour, the opener had me laughing out loud. And thanks to this floppy i now know why Dexter has the Sony logo on top of his left eyebrow (which i might've missed on the first volume). But having said that, a part of me wishes we could've had Finn Book 2 much earlier.

Look more closely Mabs, Dex has a Fony Headcase. ;)

I'm intrigued why you thought Hondo City Justice was so good. I found it incredibly tedious - zombie samurai attack, they fight for three episodes, non sequitur revelation, the end.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Mabs

Hmm...i swear that looks like an 'S' !  :D

As for Hondo, this months instalment wasn't maybe as exciting as previous ones, but i quite like the strip to be honest. There's some nice supernarural/ sci-fi angle too it, and the artwork is reallu great. I might have a read from the very start of this series to the end, it'll be interesting to see if i still feel the same or spot something i might've missed on first reading.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Cactus

Gadzooks, it is an S! I swear it was an F in the earlier Sin/Dex strips.  :-[
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Mabs

You're not wrong, Cactus. It might've been an 'F' in the earlier strips. Could anyone enlighten us?  :-*

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Yep, just had a look through some of my stuff and you're right Cactus, it was Fony! I wonder when the change took place.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Goaty

Quote from: Mabs on 03 April, 2013, 12:16:38 PM
Yep, just had a look through some of my stuff and you're right Cactus, it was Fony! I wonder when the change took place.

Was it when Kal Kutter joins them?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Goaty on 03 April, 2013, 12:19:11 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 03 April, 2013, 12:16:38 PM
Was it when Kal Kutter joins them?
Could be. It's definitely dealt with in the strip when it happens but I can't remember when. Actually thought it was a lot earlier than this and that Downlode Tales panel was an artist forgetting it but it's like that all the way through.
We never really die.

moly

Sure it was Sony at first then changed to fony

judgefloyd

I remember hearing that Sony had arked up and complained about it, so it was changed to 'Fony', 'short-sighted over-reaction' being too long to fit over his eyebrow

I, Cosh

Well, fancy that. I finally dug out the appropriate box of Progs and it turns out the old Sony headcase meets its maker in the very next episode of Lock 'n' Lode (Prog 1166.) The Fony replacement appears when the strip reverts to its normal title in Prog 2000.
We never really die.

Mabs

Quote from: The Cosh on 11 April, 2013, 03:11:50 PM
Well, fancy that. I finally dug out the appropriate box of Progs and it turns out the old Sony headcase meets its maker in the very next episode of Lock 'n' Lode (Prog 1166.) The Fony replacement appears when the strip reverts to its normal title in Prog 2000.

Thanks for that piece of info, mate. I was trying to look online to find out about the change but couldn't find funt all. Also, if it is the case that Sony were unhappy with their logo appearing on Dexter's eyebrow (as Judgefloyd has stated above), then i believe 'Fony' was a great replacement! (and probably a cheeky dig at Sony at the same time!). Interesting stuff overall.

My Twitter @nexuswookie