Main Menu

Was movie Dredd gay?

Started by Professor Bear, 19 March, 2013, 03:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Honest question: We have discussed the comic version's gayness - or not - but given the (deliberately) scant nature of Joe Dredd in Dredd 3D, is it possible to take a gay reading of the character?

I take it as read that the lead of the '95 Judge Dredd film can - by inference - be seen as definitively heterosexual, as the relationship between he and Hershey was romantic in nature - I know a lot of fans weren't happy with that, but I think it's hard to get away from the fact that this was where the film ultimately went.  With Dredd 3D, though, it's clear there's no romantic subtext between he and Anderson, she speaks of "anger and something else" while reading him early in the film, and there's the usual elements of the leather and the strict and domineering aspects of the character if you are so inclined to see these as inherently gay rather than just fetishistic, but I am of the opinion that it is entirely possible that the Dredd of Dredd 3D is a gay lead - inasmuch as Dredd can be anything at all other than celibate and uptight.

Goaty

von Boom

Mabs

Personally, I didn't see anything in the film that would suggest to me that Dredd is gay. All i saw was a Robocop/Clint Eastwood inspired Karl Urban kicking arse.  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

JOE SOAP

If Dredd had a cock I'd be surprised.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

It's much of a muchness isn't it? Dredd's sexual orientation didn't really have any bearing on the plot. Maybe it would be important if Ma-ma had tried to seduce him, or Anderson had got all doe-eyed and flustered around him, but otherwise, I don't think it's really important. The way I see it, since there is nothing to confirm or deny anything, it's up to the viewer to decide, if the viewer thinks such things are really that important.
You may quote me on that.

darnmarr

Personally,  I reckon you can read things whatever way you want, if you're inclined to; Dredd of the comics,- the recent film and even the Stallone vehicle can be interpreted as 'gay'* if you think that makes any difference. What odds is it what sexuality he is?- if whatever it is he wants to do, he never does it?

Personally I reckon he cranks one off now and then to the time Anderson gripped him to pull him through the forcefield around Billy Carter block... it doesn't impact on the stories, and it wouldn't be any different if it turned out he's been nursing a broken heart over Judge Giant all these years? Maybe he's conflicted and it's McGruder he loves but only post-beard :D

His sexual preference is immaterial, surely?

TordelBack

Might have been, might not have been.  In a situation where sexuality has no bearing on proceedings, how would we tell?  And why would we care?  The cliche of leather gear, the absence of sexual tension with Anderson or MaMa etc. are all irrelevant as 'evidence' when none of the other Judges shown deviate from this model - even the baddies.  Concluding that a liking for men is Dredd's hidden 'something else' is a monumentally boring reading. 

JOE SOAP

He seemed to derive some thrill from shoving the phallic inhaler in Ma-Ma's mouth.

CrazyFoxMachine

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 March, 2013, 04:17:31 PM
He seemed to derive some thrill from shoving the phallic inhaler in Ma-Ma's mouth.

He's only human.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 March, 2013, 04:16:52 PM
Concluding that a liking for men is Dredd's hidden 'something else' is a monumentally boring reading.

Which is why that 'gay' Dredd story a few weeks back wasn't about Dredd.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 March, 2013, 04:18:08 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 March, 2013, 04:17:31 PM

He's only human.

It's blindingly obvious really, Dredd is really a story about Roger and his Mom.