Main Menu

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 12 May, 2013, 10:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 December, 2014, 10:13:19 AM
[spoiler]Was Skye's Dad Mr Hyde in the comics?[/spoiler]

Skye appears to be [spoiler]Daisy Johnson / Quake, who is indeed Mr Hyde's daughter in the comics.[/spoiler]

Re: The Inhumans - as Bolt says, Marvel can't use mutants in tv / films, as Fox owns the rights, so using the Inhumans has become a kind of backdoor way to do a similar concept. Although the Inhumans originated in the FF (whose cinematic rights are also owned by Fox) they've headlined their own series several times, which seems to establish them as a separate entity.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 30 December, 2014, 10:46:07 AM

Re: The Inhumans - as Bolt says, Marvel can't use mutants in tv / films, as Fox owns the rights, so using the Inhumans has become a kind of backdoor way to do a similar concept. Although the Inhumans originated in the FF (whose cinematic rights are also owned by Fox) they've headlined their own series several times, which seems to establish them as a separate entity.

No matter how hard Marvel push The Inhumans I'll just never take to them. *
They're just an inherently inferior concept to the X-Men- they don't have the characters, the history, the decades long popularity.
Even in the context of 'The Marvel Universe' they just seemed a bit, for lack of a better word, goofy.

Give me the X-Men any day over The Inhumans- and I don't even read X-Men comics anymore (that will probably change when Bendis jogs on).

* The Paul Jenkins / Jae Lee Marvel Knights series from '98 obviously not included in my sweeping negativity.

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 December, 2014, 12:13:23 PM

No matter how hard Marvel push The Inhumans I'll just never take to them. *
They're just an inherently inferior concept to the X-Men- they don't have the characters, the history, the decades long popularity.
Even in the context of 'The Marvel Universe' they just seemed a bit, for lack of a better word, goofy.

I like the Inhumans in their original incarnation - a bunch of weird Kirby characters who form the royal family of a society of outcasts. One of the first Marvel stories I ever read as a kid involved Hulk hanging out with a bunch of rebel Inhumans in Attilan, so I'll always have a soft spot for 'em.

But... as a replacement for the X-Men - hell, no. I'm sure Marvel would be disposing of the X-Men outright (as if having Bendis write 'em wasn't effectively the same thing!) if they thought they could (see: Fantastic Four), but I suspect they still sell too many comics and have too much fan fondness for them to be entirely flushed. Instead, they've been downgraded and homogenized.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 30 December, 2014, 12:24:24 PM

I like the Inhumans in their original incarnation - a bunch of weird Kirby characters who form the royal family of a society of outcasts. One of the first Marvel stories I ever read as a kid involved Hulk hanging out with a bunch of rebel Inhumans in Attilan, so I'll always have a soft spot for 'em.

No such nostalgia for me Greg, by the time I read any comics (significantly) featuring the Inhumans I was already a sneery teenager.

Pyroxian

Series 2 resumes this Friday on C4 in the UK.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Pyroxian on 23 March, 2015, 10:07:21 AM
Series 2 resumes this Friday on C4 in the UK.

Thanks for posting that - totally forgotten that the last episode wasn't actually an end-season finale.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Theblazeuk

The Inhumans have too much mythological baggage to be effective mutant replacements. No spontaneous burning down of your school by accident if you need terrigen mists.

Dandontdare

I'm going to miss tonight's ep, anyone know when the repeat is on? The C4 website is a carcrash - impossible to find simple scheduling info.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Sunday morning , 1 AM , Channel 4, if memory serves me well
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 April, 2015, 06:51:35 PM
I'm going to miss tonight's ep, anyone know when the repeat is on?

Could you not programme your VCR to record said show at the appropriate time? I hear all the smart kids are favouring Betamax cassettes these days...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 April, 2015, 09:46:33 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 April, 2015, 06:51:35 PM
I'm going to miss tonight's ep, anyone know when the repeat is on?

Could you not programme your VCR to record said show at the appropriate time? I hear all the smart kids are favouring Betamax cassettes these days...

Cheers

Jim

sarky cunt!. Unfortunately, my digital recorder won't record things if I'm not in the house to programme it. I wasn't getting home till later last night, so this wasn't an option.

Goaty

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Goaty on 11 April, 2015, 11:26:33 AM
So recording the series?

Yes, so I can watch it while Family is asleep!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Goaty

Wow that was great first half of Season 3 after the midseason finale.

Nice touch about HYDRA, [spoiler]that it wasn't start by Red Skull, it was 2,000 years old as start of worship for evil Inhuman! [/spoiler]

CrazyFoxMachine

Just to pop back on here to say the last episode aired 'Parting Shot' featured the most hilariously crow-barred in set up for a spin-off I've ever seen. It's like that episode of Golden Girls where they turned it into a pilot for 'Empty Nests' (DON'T PRETEND THAT'S NOT A REFERENCE EVERYBODY GETS. I FUCKING LOVE THE GOLDEN GIRLS). It was almost poetically beautiful in how completely dumb it was.

[spoiler]A requisite for Hunter & Mockingbird escaping imprisonment and death for appearing to have killed members of the Russian government was simply that they were NEVER TO COMMUNICATE WITH SHIELD AGAIN (to presumably cut down on crossover cameos in their new show) but their final farewell scene involved them sitting in a bar and being delivered shots by all the members of SHIELD who are sat in the shadows drinking alone. They all raise their glasses at the same time. Then get up and leave. AT THE SAME TIME. The chokingly emotional tone of the scene combined with the maddeningly illogical stupidity of it is American syndicated TV in a nutshell and was utterly stunning to witness.[/spoiler]