Main Menu

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 12 May, 2013, 10:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Marvel hasn't been radical since Steve Englehart stopped writing Captain America in 1975 and the most enjoyable propaganda is always intended for someone else.

SuperSurfer

It's on 4oD where I just watched it. It's on for one more week. Probably only works in the UK.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/marvels-agents-of-shield/4od

I enjoyed it. Didn't think I would as I really didn't like Iron Man or the Avengers. Haven't bothered with any other Marvel films as just not my kind of thing.

Thought it got way too schmaltzy at the end though.

bluemeanie

If I wanted to be preached at I'd get religion

Felt heavy handed and like the show paused for the message of the day.

Simon Beigh

I have a rule of watching only a couple of US dramas at any given point, otherwise my brain melts from my ears. I quite enjoyed this, but then, I'm easily pleased when it comes to the Marvel movie universe as I liked all the films from Iron Man onwards. Sure, it was a typical American drama show which followed most of the accepted formula for these things, but I shall be back next week for more. It's a good Friday night romp.

I wonder if any of the movie superheroes will make small appearances down the line (hopefully not too long an appearance, as it's a show about SHIELD) but it would be nice if they dropped in and out along the way...

Greg M.

What interested me was that the creators said they had access to far more of the Marvel Universe's characters than they thought they were going to. Some were obviously off limits due to use in films, but irrespective of whether the Avengers turn up, I got the impression there will be some recognisable characters appearing over the course of the series.

Modern Panther

mmmm...I'm pretty disappointed.

The first 45 minutes of plot could have been done away with if someone had just invented [spoiler]existing facial recognition technology[/spoiler], rather than [spoiler]magic guns which we happened to mention in passing earlier [/spoiler], [spoiler]flying robots which save people from having to look around a room[/spoiler], or [spoiler]Doc Brown's car[/spoiler].

Bolt-01

Temponaut. The flying car is straight out of the sixties Steranko comics. Fury drove it.

Buttonman

I got bored long before the end - I was expecing second string heroes like Luke Cage, Black Panther or The Vision to show up but instead all we got was a bloke with super strength, the same issue as the last Iron Man (Extremis) and a lot of wooden acting. The pilot always has the issue of introducing lots of stuff whilst also having a story behind it in this case the latter failed as the story was one dimentional and took some over elaborate turns to resolve. May dip in later but for now it's off my list, which is presently :

Homeland (starts 29/09)
Arrow (10/10)
The Walking Dead (13/10)
Grimm (25/10)
Boardwalk Empire (started on 08/09)
Sleep Hollow (Started 16/09 - yet to see but trailers in US looked poor)
The Black List (New James Spader show, still to see)
Bates Motel (2014)

Also liking Orange is the New Black on Netflix and It's always sunny in Philadelphia.

sheldipez

I hate the way every character acts exactly the same and spouts the same sarcy jokes, every character is essentially the same person; all quirky, smart and good looking.

Stereotypical black guy that's down and out of work and trying to do good for his son, ass kicking asian, women that look like they would be more comfortable on a cat walk instead are naturally a scientist and hacker, hunk with a heart for the ladies. Whedon was really writing this shit on auto pilot.

This kinda thing epitomises why I dislike so much of these american tv junk food. Though my kids liked it, so hits it target audience.

JamesC

Quote from: sheldipez on 28 September, 2013, 02:55:17 PM
I hate the way every character acts exactly the same and spouts the same sarcy jokes, every character is essentially the same person; all quirky, smart and good looking.

Well that essentially is the filmic Marvel Universe. If it's not your thing then I'm not surprised the TV show failed to impress.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheldipez on 28 September, 2013, 02:55:17 PM
Stereotypical black guy that's down and out of work and trying to do good for his son

Blue collar worker trying to do right by his family is a black stereotype now?

I can entirely understand you not liking it, but I think you might be trying a little too hard to dislike it.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Its a staple of the Blaxploitation genre. So I can see where he's coming from personally.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 28 September, 2013, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 28 September, 2013, 06:39:57 PM
Its a staple of fiction generally.

FTFY

Precisely. Blue collar schlub getting ground down by The Man is a pretty common trope — there's nothing about this character that specifically reads black stereotype to me.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 September, 2013, 06:56:12 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 28 September, 2013, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 28 September, 2013, 06:39:57 PM
Its a staple of fiction generally.

FTFY

Precisely. Blue collar schlub getting ground down by The Man is a pretty common trope — there's nothing about this character that specifically reads black stereotype to me.

Cheers

Jim

Indeed. British drama would be none existent without it...