Main Menu

Meg 336

Started by Proudhuff, 13 May, 2013, 01:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Monday and no-one loving the Meg Thread?

Must be Bristol?

Anyway, Just to say what a cracking cracking DRedd story, artwork does the job but there are a whole load of thread woven into this and it all work really well, big thumbs up all round ( except the whole Tsunami thing but we'll ignore that  :D)

Streets of Dan works really well too and Ins III a treat, must admit the change in art hasn't spoiled my enjoyment and the story races along ti a fine final page.

The txt bits have a nice surprise guest, Sexy ostriches continues to become more and more like a Jackie Love story with, talking heads in a bar and girls, sob, sobbing, and some very static layouts, the thought did occur to me that this story probably had a storyboard drawn out before the photos were taken  :o

The one-off Sexy Ostriches story has some nice artwork but the story continues with the Old rich people are evil

Sdaly no letters page....
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

damn no modify button today... that should be 'sadly'

oh, and the cover is cracking, couldn't decide if it worked better with the rockets heading from lower left to top right or the way they are... both looked good after a bit the threat of the raining down seems more eyecatching.
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Funny how a Meg subs renewal has arrived at the time Ostrich Photostrip is running. That's really trying my patience now. It feels so drip-feed and the art is really not my cuppa at all. I liked everything else this issue, but still.

James Stacey

18 pages
18 pages of sexy ostriches. Why Tharg Why! The art was nice on the backup strip mind you but the story read like a poor future shock.

Its a good job the rest of the Meg was great this month. I like the way Dan Fran is going and it hasn't fallen into the trap of just another Dredd strip yet. Good stuff. I assume AR can't last forever so every meg is a meg closer to not having to pay for it any more. I'm positive like that.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: James Stacey on 13 May, 2013, 03:01:51 PMI assume AR can't last forever
It's by Pat Mills. It probably can last forever, due to an infinite number of books.

James Stacey

Please don't. My only hope is Tharg can get those incriminating photos of him with the Betelgeuseian ambassadors wife back off Mr Mills.

Dandontdare

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 May, 2013, 03:43:55 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 13 May, 2013, 03:01:51 PMI assume AR can't last forever
It's by Pat Mills. It probably can last forever, due to an infinite number of books.

:lol: and wait till he starts tying it into ABC warriors and Slaine.....

I keep trying to read AR but it just hurts my eyes. The properly-drawn backup strip was OK but inconsequential.

Everything else was great - I'm loving the DanFran strip - just good ol' fashioned judging action.

Buttonman

I got mine on Saturday but didn't start a thread due to being in the huff (not literally, that'd be disgusting) due to an undisclosed gripe.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/button71/yunodredd_zpsa4c879c7.jpg

Here is one of the few letters they got that were deemed unworthy.

Dear Dreddlines,

I know you are still out there, hiding in your Chaos Bug shelter. Come on out, the air is clear and fresh and the letters are only 48% critical.

Meg 335 was my favourite issue of the year so far with a nice balance of new and developing stories. My pick was Michael Carroll's 'Shotgun' which was the best Dredd one off I've read from this scribe and indeed for the last few years. The idea of 'mind rubbers' is well worn but there were enough original touches to make this one memorable. I especially liked the title which should have given the game away, but totally didn't.

I enjoyed the Paul Marshall interview and given his body of work he must easily qualify as one of the great unsung artists in your stable, Happily his song is now being sung ever louder and he dragged a potentially lacklustre opening episode of 'Dan Francisco' up by its Judge boots, so much so that it was my second favourite offering of the issue.

I'm already on record as not being a fan of 'American Reaper' and this episode of talking heads did nothing to change my view. I did however love the latest developments in 'Insurrection' where the chasers become the chased. The moral shifts between what constitutes a 'bad guy' are measured in inches and I just hope future episodes adopt black and white hats for the protagonists to stop me getting confused. No doubt an order for grey pixels is aready in!

All the best

Stephen Watson

Buttonman

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: James Stacey on 13 May, 2013, 03:54:43 PM
Please don't. My only hope is Tharg can get those incriminating photos of him with the Betelgeuseian ambassadors wife back off Mr Mills.
:lol:

stacey

I really liked the backup AR strip. The artwork is stunning! And though the artwork and greyscales for Insurrection still look gorgeous I really did miss the texture that MacNeil incorporates into that strip.

Proudhuff

Quote from: stacey on 14 May, 2013, 08:40:06 AM
I really liked the backup AR strip. The artwork is stunning!

There a nice Madmen feel to the whole thing, and with wimmin who aren't all stickthin, now all we need is Anderson to look her age and we may get the rest of 'the other half' of the population reading the Meg along with The Whittle  :D
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

so again the Meg thread almost reaches a second page with only half a dozen boarders inputting.... ::)
DDT did a job on me

Banners

The cover image makes no sense whatsoever, but I think it is a really wonderful piece of design.