Main Menu

Meg 336

Started by Proudhuff, 13 May, 2013, 01:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 May, 2013, 10:28:22 AM
so again the Meg thread almost reaches a second page with only half a dozen boarders inputting.... ::)

I haven't managed to pick up my fix of Sexy Ostriches yet - the cover looks a bit minimalistic especially compared to recent covers. About all I can comment on yet.

Link Prime

'The Streets of Dan Francisco' has been the highlight of the past two issues for me, an overall rock-solid strip.
Will definitely be looking to buy a page or two of the original art from it when the Marshall Droid pops them up on Ebay.

Quote from: stacey on 14 May, 2013, 08:40:06 AM
I really liked the backup AR strip. The artwork is stunning! And though the artwork and greyscales for Insurrection still look gorgeous I really did miss the texture that MacNeil incorporates into that strip.

I miss MacNeil's more textured artwork on Insurrection too.

James Stacey

Didn't Colin say that the technique he used originally was exceedingly time consuming and effectively bankrupting him?

IndigoPrime

It looked time-consuming. It's just a bit of a pity he didn't realise and switch on episode one.

Mabs

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 May, 2013, 12:23:45 PM
It looked time-consuming. It's just a bit of a pity he didn't realise and switch on episode one.

Yeah, and it would save us the moaning too!  :D

It's understandable if it's time consuming, but it's pretty jarring. If it was a case of another artist coming on board after the opener I would forgive the change more easily. Imagine how weird it'll look when its collected in a trade, especially when the preceding series was done in MacNeil's trademark soft style too.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

IndigoPrime

Changes in style between series happen all the time though. (Think of the America trade for something that's seriously jarring.) Really, though, if this is what an artist needs to do in order to be able to survive, I'm happy to put up with a minor aesthetic jolt.

Proudhuff

I think it isn't that jarring, okay side by side it looks very different, but Colin's artwork and storytelling is still epic, I'm just glad its not another half dozen pages of sexy ostriches....
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 May, 2013, 01:33:11 PM
I think it isn't that jarring, okay side by side it looks very different, but Colin's artwork and storytelling is still epic

Goes without saying.
A Meg with any MacNeill artwork is still better than a Meg without.

Mabs

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 May, 2013, 01:25:31 PM
Changes in style between series happen all the time though. (Think of the America trade for something that's seriously jarring.) Really, though, if this is what an artist needs to do in order to be able to survive, I'm happy to put up with a minor aesthetic jolt.

Hmm, when you put it like that, then i'd have to say fair enough, i can live with the change! But that does not detract from anyway the respect i hold for MacNeil. On the upside you can say the change in style demonstrates perfectly the versatility that he possesses as an artist. And you're right about the American stuff!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Recrewt

I'm happy with both styles for insurrection, but as others have said if they were going to change it then it seems strange to do just the first part in the old style and then change - why not do all of this series in the new style, which would make the change less obvious.

Out of interest, does anyone know how the older style was achieved - were they painted?

Proudhuff

That's the kind of question they could have in an Interrogation...   :D

by the way the Floppie in this months was a good un, reminder me of the kind of thing that Cinebooks do.
DDT did a job on me

Colin MacNeil

Hi folks!
Looks like a fair few comments about the shift in style on Insurrection III. Okay, here we go.

I won't go in to details, but the main reason for the change in art style was due to personal life stuff.
I started drawing Insurrection III last year, however it didn't go well. I tried to keep going with the greyscale style from the previous series, however it was impossible. I found myself incapable of rendering with that technique. The decision was taken by me to change style in episode two. It was either that, or the third series would not be coming out in the comic. I think folks would have liked that even less.

It was not an easy decision by any means. I knew it would, and has, disappointed the readers of the Meg. For this I apologise.
However ... I hope people can look beyond the shift, as many have already done judging by the comments, and enjoy the series. I think in some ways it'll be the best of the three. ... story wise anyways. :)

On a final note I have taken the decision to redraw episode one at my own expense for the collected edition, whenever that appears. I may have not had the time to redo it for the monthly Meg, but at least it'll be sorted out and something new to look forward to in the collection.

Anyhoo, hope you all enjoy series three and I'll see all when I see you.

Cheers

Colin

Steve Green

Hi Colin,

No apologies necessary.

I was amazed that you had the time to do the first 2 books in that style at all, and we're fortunate that you sustained it for that long.

It looked incredibly time-consuming, and appreciate the stunning work you continue to produce.

Cheers

Steve

Colin Zeal

Thanks for taking the time to reply Colin. For me, the new style is still excellent and works well with the story.

IndigoPrime

@Colin. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote from: Colin MacNeil on 17 May, 2013, 04:25:39 PMI hope people can look beyond the shift, as many have already done judging by the comments, and enjoy the series. I think in some ways it'll be the best of the three. ... story wise anyways. :)
I can see what you might be inferring there, but I'd have to say that I don't believe the current style is somehow inferior to the other one—it's just different. I imagine most people here would agree. (Or at least I hope that's the case.)

QuoteOn a final note I have taken the decision to redraw episode one at my own expense for the collected edition
Blimey! And that, everyone, is what's called going above and beyond.