Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

I'd rather all stories were put in publication order - which I guess is usually the story order, with the annual/special stories reprinted in the main volume. I guess the majority of these stories are non-essential to the main series - but the Nemesis ones (including the posterprog one) are.
I love zzzenith.com - great designs and a bonkers story.

Colin YNWA

Apparently this is still news... though there is little news in this fairly poorly researched article. I post it here... well cos I had to read it so you might as well!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/83457-paperbacks-impending-hardcover-zenith-worth-wait.html

Oh and as far as I can see the headline doesn't actually bear any relevance!

Frank

QuoteBleeding Cool's first review of the limited edition hardcover, by BC contributor Dave Wallace mentions Rebellion's promise that Zenith would, and we quote, never be reprinted [again] ... A cash grab? Sounds like it.

Well, duh. The promotion said the limited edition hardcover collecting every Zenith story in a single volume would never be reprinted, not that there would never be large print run paperbacks reprinting the separate chapters.

Colin Zeal

A strange article really, as Sauchie points out Rebellion aren't reprinting the Complete Zenith. Not surprised though considering the writer thinks that 2000AD is a monthly title.

IndigoPrime

QuoteRebellion?s promise that Zenith would, and we quote, ?never be reprinted (again)
Nice, as others have said, the way they leave off the qualifier, which was along the lines of "in this format" (i.e. a collected hardcover). It was pretty bloody obvious at the time that if all went well, Rebellion would release individual volumes at some point. I imagine some people are just pissed off because their £100 suddenly isn't 'worth' stupid money on eBay.

Quote from: robert_ellis on 09 June, 2014, 03:36:56 PMI'd rather all stories were put in publication order
Likewise. Zenith, like Nemesis, is a far cry from more episodic strips like Strontium Dog and Dredd, where the annual/special stories were generally throwaway and at an unknown point in continuity—instead, those things were intrinsic to the story. Given the hard word going into making sure the Daily Star strips are complete, it'd be extremely weird if Zenith wasn't.

Colin YNWA

Yeah wasn't going to bother posting it as it was such a poor article but thought it worthwhile just to illustrate the type on nonsense that people will spout about stuff (oh the irony, I know, I know) just to keep this one bubbling away.

Aside from all the factual errors the biggest problem with it is it serves no purpose at all. Has no relevant news, is a vague review of something that came out an age ago (as people have said) and couldn't buy if they wanted to... well not at a realistic price anyway. So what were they trying to do and my only guess is get some clicks off Zenith again.

Does test the cliche - there's no such thing as bad publicity!

IndigoPrime

If only they could somehow squeeze Alan Moore, Apple and the World Cup into the title, it'd be click-bait heaven!

Colin YNWA

"Alan Moore rip-off (well he thinks so anyway!) 'Zenith' reprints as World Cup start means hardcover looses its Appeal"

Close as I could get it! 

Frank

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 June, 2014, 10:00:48 AM
It was pretty bloody obvious at the time that if all went well, Rebellion would release individual volumes at some point

The Bleeding Cool preview the author of that article links to for that quote about the collected Zenith never being reprinted ends with Rich Johnston describing paperback editions as "an inevitability". D'oh!

Colin YNWA

Well I've not read the actual Complete Zenith but over the last 4 nights, at the rate of a phase an evening, I've read Zenith in its entity via the four rather wonderful hardcovers. And you know I ain't going to do that without inflicting my opinion of it on you lot and so this seems as good a place as any to do so.

So where to begin? So much to say. Okay I'll try to keep this brief (ish).

When ever CBR or rather Comics Should be Good have one of those votes for your 10 ten runs or stories, whichever, Zenith always comes near the top, if not top three, if not the very top. When I do this I do wonder if its cos of some nostaglic rememberance of what it means to me, or how it helped shape me as a reader. Or how it so perfectly fitted the first generation Colin Comic Reader back in the day.

Then I read it again - as I've possibly done more than any other comic (?)

And I realise I do it as its quite possibly in my top 10, possibly top 3 comics of all times. Its quite supreme. Now part of that might well be all wrapped in what I've said up there in paragraph 3 BUT regardless its true. I love this comic strip. I looked back at an old review I did of it from wayyyy back and realised much of what I wanted to say is there. So I'll do that must egotistical of things and quote myself

QuoteZenith is a prototype for so much of the world expanding brillance that Morrison has done elsewhere and particularly at DC. It might not be as refined as his later writing but it has a freshness and energy that is never quite repeated in his later stuff like Final Crisis (which is itself brillant). Its like a great bands first ablum, later works might be technically better, have a greater scope, variety and edge but they will never recapture that initial raw energy, daring and unbound joy in whats being created.

Which I kinda stand by BUT have also realised on this more compacted read that there are two factors that I've not included there. Firstly its so complete. Very often the comics I love the most are those that stretch me, that I know I don't get entirely. When they are good its so exciting to know I'll go back and read them again and get something more, something new, a fresh insight. That's really a compelling thing. Not so however Zenith. I read Zenith and my reading of it is complete. I get everything I need to, want to and think I will ever find. Its all there for me, and feels so satisfyingly complete.

The way the four phases build on each other, so gloriously ploted across the piece. They escalate in scale (well pausing for Phase 2 that is quite the most exquisite example of exposition and set up dressed gloriously into a story) Phase to Phase so that by the end of Phase 4 there really doesn't feel like there's anywhere else this needs to go. So ya know we can all ignore Zzzzenith right. I know I will in future. I get everything I need and want from it in a story and while that gives it nowhere else to take me that is very, very satisfying.

Secondly its very 2000adness makes it completely unique in superhero fare. Its a tight, lean, mean, cynical, antiauthoritarian, counter intuitive. It manages a wonderful trick, particularly in the sublime Phase 3, of managing to create the vast scale of the best of mainstream epic events. In a wonderful compact space it creates a wonderful range of characters you've barely met yet care a lot about. Yet cos its 2000ad and it knows the consequence of this type of stuff it shows you the devastating impact. Without mercy and without the inevitable reprieve that the other superhero Crisis or Secret Wars in heaven allow. Its gives you the Gods battling, lets you embrace the impossible fantasy of it all and yet tricks you into feeling its as real as can be.

One thing I got wrong last time was

QuoteWhile Morrison's writing is the star of the show, as it nearly always is, Steve Yeowell's art isn't far behind. I agree with your opinion about the change to colour reducing the quality of his work a little but its never less than brillant.

Cos to be honest on this reading its actually Steve Yeowell's art that's the star. It starts off great and reaches... well these things are mercurial ... but reaches the very zen... peak of 2000ad art. I'll say it now and regret it in the morning but Yeowell's art in Phase 3 is my favourite comics art ever... there said it. Now watch me change your mind. The fact that its my fav 2000ad art probably means its my favourite comics art ever AND that's saying quite something.

Okay so its a shame that Phase 4 is during one of my least favourite Yeowell styles BUT my least favourite Yeowell is still amongst my favourite overall all. So yeah Morrison is an absolute HyperGod of writing in this. The Mighty Yeowell is somehow something more.

There was more I intended to say BUT if any bugger has bothered to get this far I think I've put you through quite enough so I'll leave it there except to say this story, as a whole is the complete masterpiece.