Main Menu

Meg 339. TV Smash!

Started by Proudhuff, 19 August, 2013, 03:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

The Dredd story at the back of the supplement made me wonder what has happened to Judge Giant? We last saw him seriously wounded about three years ago and we haven't seen or heard anything since. Seems weird that someone who used to be one of the main supporting characters for Dredd has basically just vanished.

Mabs

Well I finished David Baillie's short story: " Dead Man Talking", and it was great fun! It was really thrilling with some great characterisation. I was just thinking though, [spoiler]how did the narrator tell the story when he got blasted away by Dredd at the end? Or maybe it was told from his spirit self, sorta like Kevin Spacey's narration in American Beauty![/spoiler] oh hold, that's why the story is called "Dead Man Talking". Duh! Thankyou Mr. Baillie for a great read, and your input in this months Meg overall.  :)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

picked this up as I've never read Black Siddha, so the inclusion of a 'trade' Means this will be value whatever. The thing is without it I'd have been very disappointed which seems to buck the trend of regular Meg readers, which makes it all the more worrying.

Now I'm assuming that Insurrection will be a winner as I'm trade waiting it, but the first trade was a blast and flicking through it it looks superb. The Dredd was pretty good, the Future Shock fantastic, Dan Francisco pretty good, when given the benefit of the doubt that I'd have got more from it had I read the other parts. Black Museum not too fussed by. The text pieces I found a bit disappointing, neither matching my expectations. So that's one blinder (assumed), one great one off, two good stories and your traditional duffer. At the price of the Prog that's good stuff at twice the price, even with the fact that some strips are longer its not so good.

The 'trade' makes it great value, but normally this would just have material I have already. So for the minute and very unfairly judging in one issue alone I'm happy with my policy of trade waiting Meg stories, whic ofte does need patience to say the least. When I finally go digital that will be a different matter as the digital price seems fair enough.

Fungus

The Megazine's a funny beast. Back in the early 90's when I dropped the prog & Meg, the Meg felt very unsatisfying, a bit of an afterthought. Still feels like it plays a poor second fiddle to the prog. Glad American
Reaper finally ended, that was tough going. Experimentation is OK, but... :-(

This time round, I am a bit bemused by the reaction to Black Siddha, I sped-read this just to get it finished...
find these Mills' politically correct mumbo-jumbo affairs hard to get into.

But looking forward to Beyond Zero, enjoyed the retro (or do I mean, just old) Night Zero and Disaster 1990
before that. Simple pleasures (compare with American Reaper...)

That said, the Dredd was good and possibly best thing in the prog for me was David Baillie's text Dredd.
Unexpectedly fun. Reminded me a bit of Harry Harrison...

sheldipez

Call me easy to please but another cracking meg this month.

Always funny to hear of another Alan Moore collaborator that's had the dummy spat out at him from the bearded man child.

Some nice brief history of Slaine artists for the total Slaine newb like me.

Points for giving shout out to Hugh Everret III in the dimension travel tale.

Bye to Mr Fransisco and I'm officially lost with Insurrection; I really need to get through those back issue megs I have stacked knee deep to get up to speed with that story.

Dredd fiction still not for me; can't get few paragraphs without zoning out.

Meg 340 looks like it'll shift a few copies - is the Meg big enough to hold two different Dredds! ;D

Black Siddah was top, lovely Davis art and very funny throughout. Did they leave this series open ended?!

Proudhuff

Quote from: sheldipez on 29 August, 2013, 12:40:36 AM
Black Siddah was top, lovely Davis art and very funny throughout. Did they leave this series open ended?!

not sure, when it was in the meg previously the monthly wait for half a dozen pages meant I lost interest, hopeflly there will be a collection of the rest of the stroy?
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

damn these bananana fingers... and the lack of edit button ...Story  ::)
DDT did a job on me

ThryllSeekyr

This is the second Megazine I purchased in ages and the very second I had purchased as a digital download.

I brought nearly two or three weeks ago, but had neglected to read to it.

Until now, when I wanted clarification that the new Slaine: Book of Scars will be including all the famous Slaine covers. I'm still unsure of this. I hope they do.

On page 22, of 3 Decades of Slaughter (And He Didn't Think It Too Many)

What really grabbed my attention was this bit here.....

Quote'Pat Mills wanted a good-looking Sláine,'
Glenn Fabry told Gary Lactus in an interview for the mindless Ones.
'Originally I decided I was going to use Michael York as the basis of
Sláine. Pat wanted Jack Nicholson and he sent me loads of photos.'

I had said a few days earlier on We Demand a Slaine Movie, though I had been long time thinking that some of Glenn Fabry's imagery of Slaine reminded me of a younger Jack Nicholson partically from his role in The Shining

Just look at the similarities here....

Mabs

That is one big mug of Jack!  :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie