Main Menu

Judge Dredd Megazine 340

Started by Richard, 14 September, 2013, 05:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Excellent Meg all round especially the cover and  Dredd Underbelly with a nice premise and set up. Stonkingly good reads and art  in all the strips. Haven't read Beyond Zero yet so looking forward to it.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

GordonR

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 21 September, 2013, 09:59:22 AM
I wonder. If you asked Karl Urban I'd imagine he'd give his permission sans payment.

And I imagine his agent might have something to say about that.

If people are making money from this strip - and that's certainly its intention - why should anyone waive a hard-won right to control the use of their image in it?

Steve Green

It's not something that bothers me - really, you're only seeing half a face anyway.

I thought the whole reasoning behind Dredd's chin was to make him more identifiable in headshots, maybe they could have split the difference - or maybe they were just playing it safe to avoid any potential problems.

The difference between last year's prequel and Underbelly is that his agent would likely have negotiated rights for his likeness to be used for that, but not necessarily for anything following.

Hawkmumbler

Not saying I dislike the representation in Underbelly but couldn't Mr Urban shout his agent down if he felt inclined? I always thought having one was a bit of a double edged sword.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 September, 2013, 12:37:39 PM
The difference between last year's prequel and Underbelly is that his agent would likely have negotiated rights for his likeness to be used for that, but not necessarily for anything following.

I don't know for sure but Lionsgate may well have paid for that as part of their marketing just like they did with the Comic-Cover-Creator.

Steve Green

That was a nice idea - shame the artwork was less than stellar.

Theblazeuk

QuoteIf people are making money from this strip - and that's certainly its intention - why should anyone waive a hard-won right to control the use of their image in it?

Because some things are worth more than money? This particular strip's intention is to further the Dredd movie-verse. Which would ultimately bring him more money in the end.

Anyway it's all armchair wondering anyway, whether its naive hopefulness or mercenary cynicism.

Pioneer

Please forgive me but I still don't quite get the end to 'Nurture', can anyone enlighten me?
My brain isn't quite as sharp as it once was......

Mabs

Quote from: Pioneer on 21 September, 2013, 10:14:28 PM
Please forgive me but I still don't quite get the end to 'Nurture', can anyone enlighten me?
My brain isn't quite as sharp as it once was......

Well as far as I know,[spoiler] Hershey's clone was 'terminated' via a chip inside its/her head. Hershey had it put in as a fail safe. Of course Dredd isn't that happy seeing as the clone killed quite a few of his fellow Judges and he didn't know about this implant. He wanted to see the clone terminated earlier, but Hershey resisted. [/spoiler]The moral of the story? Dredd is always right (well 99.9% of the time!).
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 21 September, 2013, 09:38:04 PM
Because some things are worth more than money? This particular strip's intention is to further the Dredd movie-verse. Which would ultimately bring him more money in the end.

I think it manages that with or without an approximation of Karl Urban's lower-faced scowl. At the end of the day it's still Judge Dredd which is what all this is about, isn't it?

Pioneer

[quote

Well as far as I know,[spoiler] Hershey's clone was 'terminated' via a chip inside its/her head. Hershey had it put in as a fail safe. Of course Dredd isn't that happy seeing as the clone killed quite a few of his fellow Judges and he didn't know about this implant. He wanted to see the clone terminated earlier, but Hershey resisted. [/spoiler]The moral of the story? Dredd is always right (well 99.9% of the time!).
[/quote]

Cool thanks for your answer, although I kind of got all that. It's just strange for Hershey's last line to be "I wanted to know who was controlling them" when we never actually find out who it was. To be left open ended for a follow up perhaps? All a bit Judda isn't it...

The Adventurer

I was actually a bit confused on the ending of Nurture as well. Outside of the obvious. I think we're suppose to take away that [spoiler]the Clone's creator is most definitely dead. Since the Clone was expecting to find her creator at the location she went to. If he wasn't there it must mean he died on Chaos Day. The story ends so quick it really kind of hard to be certain that's what Williams was going for. I think the moral of the story is less 'Dredd's Always Right' and more 'Hershey is a bit more ruthless these days'. In that she didn't really have any affection for her clone. She just wanted to be sure the clone's creator was gone for good. Which seems to be the case.[/spoiler]

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mabs

Yeah, I do hope we see a follow up- it'll be really interesting. I really enjoyed the storyline.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Hershey and cloning is an interesting topic.  The creation of the female Dredd 'clone' and the bizarre policy of hiding their own origins from cadets would have taken place under her watch, and in The Talented Mayor Ambrose Rico visits a cloning facility where he is told that Hershey had greatly accelerated the judicial cloning programme. McGruder was big on robots (and flying sharks), Hershey on clones, So while I'd find it hard to believe that there aren't other Hershey clones on the force already, it was good to see her face to face with one aspect of her own enthusiasm.

I'd certainly read the ending of Nurture as very open: it could be that the cloner died randomly along with a third of a billion other folk, or it could just be that he wasn't at the rendezvous because he had no way of knowing that one of his creations was out and about. It's a useful

TordelBack

[continued] ...thread to leave dangling either way.