Main Menu

Inside No. 9 (BBC2)

Started by Goaty, 12 February, 2014, 09:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

[spoiler]She pretended to be ignorant at first, but when she thought that he'd been incapacitated, she began showing off her skills - the clues in the crossword should've tipped her off that her plan was already known to the victim[/spoiler]

Hawkmumbler

Having only seen S3 EPs 2 and 3 out of any Inside No.9 until now, i'm utterly amazed it's taken me this long. What a bloody brilliant little anthology series with some genuine thrills and spills!

Fungus

Riddle of the Sphinx another brilliant tale. Gory & clever stuff.

Theblazeuk

Definitely thinking about that a little too much in the Sphinx :)

Trent

Really enjoyed The Bill and Riddle of the Sphynx but as others have pointed out the logic doesn't quite stand up to scrutiny.

In The Bill it makes little sense for Glenister's character to join the conmen unless by some stretch you take it that he had to do it or they would have killed him and so once involved he couldn't then easily implicate them. Bit tortuous but , given he was the wealthy mark, I couldn't see why he would join them.

The point re the crossword giving away the plot is also valid and I cannot see an easy way to explain it away.

I guess with a short running time and so many twists and turns involved there are bound to be the odd illogicality but they don't really detract from the overall experience.

CrazyFoxMachine

Inside No.9 was stunning, best of the three so far for me :D

[spoiler]For me Reece & Pemberton are at their best with squabbling humans - from their days as Charlie and Stella in the League right up til now they manage it so effortlessly and the cast here was wonderful. I personally prefer it in No.9 when when they're not going hell-for-leather-horrortwists and just focus on characters but the joy of the series overall is the variety. Utterly fantastic episode and caught me in a really troubled mood so the ending was a joypunch for me.[/spoiler]

Special bonus:

[spoiler]The bonafide deaf actor Emily Howlett sent numerous adorable tweets about the show and its crew and actors throughout: https://twitter.com/EHowlett/status/839259039196381184 [/spoiler]

Goaty

Again, other excellent episode, and I am Deaf, it happens lots at my old work xmas parties! hehe!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 March, 2017, 12:09:45 PM
[spoiler]She pretended to be ignorant at first, but when she thought that he'd been incapacitated, she began showing off her skills - the clues in the crossword should've tipped her off that her plan was already known to the victim[/spoiler]

You are absolutely correct.
[spoiler]However, I would suggest that she is presented with the clues in such a short space of time that it would have been nigh on impossible for her, or any expert, to solve a complicated crossword in such a short space of time (around 15 mins?) But I take your point. Had she been given an hour or two then I agree.[/spoiler]

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 March, 2017, 09:46:28 PM

The Bill: [spoiler]why would he join the consptracy rather than calling the police? He's alrteady loaded, and they've got no leverage on him[/spoiler]

Watched this episode again today and my thoughts are; [spoiler]How do we know that he is loaded? Everyone around the table is basically lying and so could he be. He has his card declined and says 'I've got £250 in that account'. Not exactly a fortune. I think the other four have fallen for his lies and then realise the truth but he knows the scam now and joins them instead after he has paid out loads of money for his divorce.[/spoiler]

I could be wrong but it works this way.

Fungus

Another cracker this week and all the better for dispensing with the twisted horror to tell a grounded tale of office politics. Those songs padded things out nicely, these have been dense half-hours.

[spoiler]It was a bit obvious the southern character in the first episode wouldn't be quite as loaded as it appeared, and as it played out things felt natural enough. No problems with it at all. Oh, and quite brilliant[/spoiler].

Tiplodocus

So is this a series of one-off tales of the unexpected then? (except good).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

It does work that way but he seems pretty insistent that [spoiler]there's enough cash squirreled away in the right - RIGHT I said Anoushka - side of his wardrobe[/spoiler]

Satanist

Didn't he also say that he was bored with his life and wanted an adventure?

Why did no one die this week? Not really that bothered as I love this show.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Mattofthespurs

Just watched Empty orchestra again.
This series just keeps on getting better and better.
It's by far the best thing on television and the writing is so crisp, clean and truthful that every episode almost makes me want to weep with it's total beauty.

It's so good that it makes me want to punch Shearsmith and Pemberton. Punch them with love. In the face. Hard.

Mardroid

A much darker episode this week, with a [spoiler]grim ending. Even grimmer if you consider what the main character's comment implies at the end "They should be together".[/spoiler]

It was very different from last week's episode. Actually it was rather different from all the others in this series, apart from the underlying dark comedy, which is part of what makes this series so good.

[spoiler]It starts with what seems to be an amusing obsession, that gets rather embarassing. Then it goes to a very sad place before becoming rather grim. Not the nasty grim of The Riddle of the Sphinx, it's all implied, but dark for all that.[/spoiler]

A very interesting journey.

I read a review afterwards, and I'm ashamed to say [spoiler] I missed all the pairings in the house. Then again, I wasn't really looking for them.[/spoiler]