Main Menu

Inside No. 9 (BBC2)

Started by Goaty, 12 February, 2014, 09:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

That was one hell of a creepy finale to the series!

"Mischief!"

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

CrazyFoxMachine

Very effective and creepy as hell although [spoiler]painfully lacking an ending - it just sort of ... stopped.[/spoiler]

I must say though it's been a remarkably good series - check out the interesting "extra" episode The Inventors as well!

Can't wait til series 2 :D

Steve Green

I'm not quite sure why they made an extra episode that way... I was waiting for some sort of interactivity other than just skipping to the next bit.

The Bissler

I'm sorry to disagree with everyone but I was quite disappointed with this series.  The stories were fine but, with the exception of the silent episode, this was at the expense of the comedy.  I'm not saying there wasn't any humour but it did feel like the jokes were few and far between. 

The sooner the League of Gentlemen reform, the better from my point of view!

Mardroid

I watched the first three episodes of this on BBC iplayer today. (I wouldn't have known it had been on without this thread, that's how little TV I've been watching lately. So thanks guys!)

Brilliant stuff! The first two were laugh out loud funny (particularly the second). The last not so much, but it was just as good in a very different way. All had great dark twists. Great stuff. Think I'll watch the fourth while I have my cuppa...

Mardroid

Okay, I didn't like episode 4 as much as the previous 3. But it was still okay.

Daveycandlish

It's only the first two that are laugh out loud funny. The others are more like Tales of the Unexpected
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Keef Monkey

It did seem to move away from the more overt comedy as it went on, but setting it up that way meant they can throw some good gags into the darker episodes without them seeming out of place I reckon.

Thought the last episode was brilliantly creepy, those guys do have a knack for nailing disturbing moments when they do decide to go for all-out horror. Thought the set-up was very reminiscent of House Of The Devil, but really different in the execution.

Been a fantastic series, after the great first episode I didn't think they'd be able to keep the quality up but they did so admirably (the Macbeth episode was the weakest for me but even that was plenty entertaining).

Mardroid

For some reason I was expecting[spoiler] another twist at the end of the last episode.

On thinking about it, I realised there had already been a double twist... I it's just the fact there wasn't something at the very end that threw me a bit. Just... situation explained and she met her fate.

Not a big criticism though. If anything the criticism should be on myself for allowing my mind to be caught up in a specific format.

It was an excellent episode all in all. And that scene at the end. "Mr. Mischief! Mr. Mischief!" Brrr! [/spoiler]

Favourite episode: 2 (Or was it 3? The silent one anyway.)
Least favourite: 4.
The rest were pretty good though. In there own way as good as 2(or 3) in some ways, but I just loved the humour of 2(or 3).

That being said I loved the twist of Tom And Geri. Perhaps I'd rate it with the favourite above. They're so different yet good they warrant a tie I think.

Goaty

Series 2 is start this Thursday!

Mardroid

Great news! Had a feeling it was a one off for some reason.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Mardroid on 22 March, 2015, 07:12:59 PM

So did I, was a very pleasant surprise that it was coming back. Not just us either - as of writing iMdB is still classing it as a "mini-series" although - I suppose the big clue was the 'series 1' on the DVD but I just thought that was MAD OPTIMISM

Theblazeuk

From what I understand, it was a close thing whether it's a one off or not. I'd be amazed if it gets a third go given the current climate at the Beeb. Money money money. (Or in other words, Tories Tories Tories, it's a Murdoch world).

Dandontdare

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 23 March, 2015, 12:09:21 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 22 March, 2015, 07:12:59 PM

So did I, was a very pleasant surprise that it was coming back.

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 14 March, 2014, 07:53:22 PM
Can't wait til series 2 :D

I wasn't surprised at a 2nd series as you'd told me about it a year ago, but I'm still dead chuffed, the trailers look great.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 March, 2015, 09:47:12 AMMoney money money. (Or in other words, Tories Tories Tories, it's a Murdoch world).

Good stuff will always slips through the cracks!