Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Satanist on 03 January, 2017, 01:48:41 PM
The end game should come quite quick if only 2 are left as whoever is in Tokyo keeps racking up the points for every round they stay in there. Also we rig the cards at the start of the game as there are quite a lot of rubbish ones.

Hmm, possibly what we have been missing is that the monster going in will get the usual 1VP for taking Tokyo, but also 2 VP for holding Tokyo because he'll be in there at the end of his turn, since it's only on his turn that he's dealing damage. I think we haven't been awarding the 2 VP unless he stays in until the end of his next turn, which no-one ever manages. Would that be right? Because that would certainly speed things up! As it is, there's usually one or two people hanging about chatting for a dozen rounds while the last two trade blows, because the survivors always have low VPs having concentrated on knocking the others out..

Has some epic games of Munchkin on NYE: we have a stupidly huge pile of cards now, ensuring variety, but still two games came down to who shouted All Hail King Torg! first. Kobolds Ate My Baby is definitely my favourite expansion. Delightful how different ever game can be, although I'm tempted to reinstate our mistaken rule that any number of players can help in a fight - it leads to more exciting bickering!

Is the new Bloodbowl good?

Pyroxian

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2017, 03:53:21 PM
Hmm, possibly what we have been missing is that the monster going in will get the usual 1VP for taking Tokyo, but also 2 VP for holding Tokyo because he'll be in there at the end of his turn, since it's only on his turn that he's dealing damage. I think we haven't been awarding the 2 VP unless he stays in until the end of his next turn, which no-one ever manages. Would that be right? Because that would certainly speed things up! As it is, there's usually one or two people hanging about chatting for a dozen rounds while the last two trade blows, because the survivors always have low VPs having concentrated on knocking the others out..

You get one point as soon as your monster goes into Tokyo. You get 2 points at the beginning of your turn if your monster is in Tokyo. So you get more VPs for staying in Tokyo, but you can't heal your monster so it's generally in the interests of the player outside of Tokyo to just roll hearts and claws as they will generally outlast the other guy or force him to come out. Inside Tokyo I tend to try and roll the numbers as you're then getting 4-5 VPS a round.

Satanist

yeah its 1 point for entering Tokyo and then another 2 when it gets back to their turn, but if there are only 2 people left then its just back and forth and shouldn't take to long.

I usually try and stay out of Tokyo and try and roll a load of 3's and win that way, so satisfying when you roll six 3's (which I've done twice).
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Ah, so we are playing it right. The prob is that with two players the In monster usually comes straight out to heal when he's hit, so only defaults to one VP a turn. As it's not uncommon for the last two survivors to only have 5 or 6 VPs (having focussed on Claws, Hearts and attack upgrade cards) it can take 10 or more rounds for the endgame to play out, which is crap for the knocked-out players.

radiator

QuoteThe thing that puts me off Exploding Kittens is the fact it's called exploding kittens, which suggests some sort of childish sense of humour which I don't find funny.
That's not to say childishness in general is bad.

I would say check out the Oatmeal website to see if you like his stuff (even if you're not immediately familiar, you'll no doubt recognise some of it as his stuff tends to be widely shared and/or ripped off). Each to their own, but I happen to think he's quite brilliant. Was a fan long before the game.

I would also say that the humour element, unlike something like Cards Against Humanity, is entirely cosmetic and has zero effect on actual gameplay (which can be described as a tense blend of Uno and Russian Roulette). There are also both clean and NSFW variants.

I had the misfortune to play a spectacularly terrible board/party game called 'The Game of Things' on a very disappointing 'games night' on NYE. Awful game, avoid at all costs.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 27 December, 2016, 05:27:00 PM
Quote from: radiator on 03 December, 2016, 01:13:44 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for board games for kids? I have a 4.5 year old niece to buy a Christmas present for.

I got her My First Carcassonne for her birthday earlier this year, but suspect that it'll probably be a little while before she has the attention span to really get into it.

So ideally I'm looking for something a bit lighter, perhaps more gimmicky/luck-based?

Late now, but Haba make a decent range of kid-friendly stuff. My daughters got Unicorns in the Clouds, Animal Upon Animal and Mix & Match Robbers from their catalogue for Christmas and they're all fun little titles, a mix of luck-based and dexterity-heavy gameplay with fun, simple aesthetics.

Funnily enough I'd never heard of Haba until this xmas, my sister got me Rhino Hero. A really quick, simple and great fun game that, and the whole family could get into it.

Also got Time Stories, Sons of Anarchy and the Pegasus expansion for Battlestar Galactica, so plenty of gaming to get stuck into!

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 03 January, 2017, 08:06:39 PM
QuoteThe thing that puts me off Exploding Kittens is the fact it's called exploding kittens, which suggests some sort of childish sense of humour which I don't find funny.

I would also say that the humour element, unlike something like Cards Against Humanity, is entirely cosmetic and has zero effect on actual gameplay (which can be described as a tense blend of Uno and Russian Roulette). There are also both clean and NSFW variants.

Just had lunch with a friend who got Exploding Kittens and an expansion for christmas, so when they come around for drinks we'll have to have a go at it.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 04 January, 2017, 12:57:06 PM

Just had lunch with a friend who got Exploding Kittens and an expansion for christmas, so when they come around for drinks we'll have to have a go at it.

Expansion, you say?

Keef Monkey

The new Doom board game being out reminded me that I've always wanted Gears of War so had a quick look on ebay and found a sealed copy for a fairly reasonable price. Very pleased, since it went out of print every listing I'd seen was crazy money, so to get a fresh one is quite exciting.

Also spotted the Alien Queen expansion for Legendary Encounters is out so grabbed that. Have managed to resist the Big Trouble In Little China edition so far but not sure how long my resolve will last.

Don't get a lot of group sessions so the fact these are all playable solo is a big draw for me.

Theblazeuk

My friends have been playing the new Bloodbowl at the local gaming store, they seem to enjoy it. Seems like it's pretty quick to play too.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2017, 03:53:21 PM
Is the new Bloodbowl good?

It is. I'm not sure when the last time you played is, but the version GW just released is not much different from the last edition of The Living Rulebook that's been developed online for many years. I've been playing in a BB league for quite some time and we've continued without a hitch. The rules are online for free.

I love the game. It's a top five board game for me - in league play.

Stand alone is plenty fun, but in league play you develop your team and players which adds so much more to the experience.

sheridan

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 06 January, 2017, 01:44:02 PM
It is. I'm not sure when the last time you played is, but the version GW just released is not much different from the last edition of The Living Rulebook that's been developed online for many years. I've been playing in a BB league for quite some time and we've continued without a hitch. The rules are online for free.

Where are they?  I've been looking around the official Bloodbowl website and have found nine downloads of team rosters, errata and the like, but no rulebook?

Keef Monkey

My wife got me the Big Trouble In Little China edition of Legendary for my birthday at the weekend after all so had a go on that. Obviously plays a fair bit like the other Legendary games I've played (Alien/Predator) but has a bunch of nice twists that change it up and it definitely has more of a focus on competitive play rather than co-op or survival. Means it isn't really tuned for solo play, but good fun with a group!

radiator

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 January, 2017, 01:29:35 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 04 January, 2017, 12:57:06 PM

Expansion, you say?

Yep, it's called Imploding Kittens. It's just a few extra cards, some of which (like Reverse) seem to have been brought over from the (excellent) EK app, others are brand new - there's now 'Alter the Future' and 'Targeted Attack', as well as 'Feral Cat' which can act as any generic paired cat card.

I'm not really keen on the idea of the (optional) Imploding Kitten card, which iirc you're supposed to place face up in the deck? Haven't used it yet.

The creators are also currently at work on a follow up game called Bears Vs Babies.

Satanist

Played Bloodborne card game at weekend and really enjoyed it. Each player gets the same hand of cards at the start of the game. You then have to use these cards to team up and fight the randomised monsters to reach the boss.

You all play your cards at the same time so the fun comes from saying you'll do one thing and then totally betraying the team by doing another or stealing a win just for yourself. If you die you lose all your points but if you back out a fight you can bank them (and get more cards) but wont be earning that turn. Nice risk/reward mechanic.

My only complaint is that as a huge fan of the videogame they seem to have misjudged the threat levels of some enemies and that when you die there should be some way to reclaim your blood echoes. But that's some high end nerdery and doesn't detract from the actual gameplay of the card game in any way.

Also its not available in Europe at the moment due to licensing issues  >:(
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?