Main Menu

Meg 349: Psi-Crimes!

Started by IndigoPrime, 14 June, 2014, 01:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkDaysBish-OP

I think Si Spencer would agree H&B does have some excruciating puns in it, but that was half the fun [if you thought it fun - which I plainly did, since I commissioned it!].

Dean's artwork on H&B was utterly lush and I've very happy to see it reprinted at last.

Buttonman

Having trouble with your floppy? Reinvigorate it with a 'Best of Dreddlines' six month cycle starting with 'The Best of Buttonman Part 1 (Jan-Feb)'

Steve Green

Maybe they should illustrate the letters.

Or would that be heresy?

The Monarch

I would love a straightjacket fits reprint if only so I can get my hands on the final fit...at the time I was a wean I loved that series (although at the time I was baffled by some stuff in it....years and a lot of vertigo comics ended that I assure you) but the yearbooks were out of my pocket money range....so I would kill to get that.

I also love harke and burr

Proudhuff

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 June, 2014, 11:59:42 AM
Maybe they should illustrate the letters.

Or would that be heresy?

or perhaps some drawings readers have sent in?

Read Karyn and its all seems fine to me, better than what some 'names' were writing at the time!
DDT did a job on me

Cpt Rhodes

Not being a massive reader of comics outside of 2000ad, I'd only became aware of Cameron Stewart last year when he was at Thought Bubble. His cover for this month's issue is outstanding. Nice solid figure drawing, dynamic angle, just love everything about it.

8-Ball

Been to busy watchin' the fitba but here's my brief overview of Meg 349 -

Cover - Lovely stuff from Cameron Stewart (Dredd's a bit cartoonish but Anderson is rocking it with the short 'do.)

Judge Dredd: Rad To The Bone (part 3) - More of the same as part 1 and part 2. The panel where Fryer punches a mutie right through the face gave me Mark Millar flashbacks. Not a fan and just glad that it's ending this month.

Loved David Pugh's work on Wildcat and Eagle when I was a wee boy.

Tales Of Mega-City One: Two Tons Of Trouble - Obvious twist. Could have been set anytime in the last 35 years of Dredd. Without wanting to go over old ground but what was the point of Chaos Day again?

The Man From The Ministry (part 2) - Nice art but not really sure where the story is heading. That could be a gould thing. The alien invaders are suitably icky.

Could do with seeing more from Nick Percival (beyond Traumatown) and Vince Locke.

Anderson, Psi Division: Dead End (part 7) - A fitting ending to a fine Anderson story. Dredd redefines "Boot knife!" and Anderson's new resolve is like a breath of fresh air. Even without Algol Rey the city is killing her so some new scenery could do her the world of good. I'll be happy just as long as it doesn't go all  "Voyage of the Seeker"/"Postcards from the Edge"/"Postcard to Myself". Been there, done that. Two questions i have now are [spoiler]"How will her transfer to the Mutant Townships affect Dark Justice?"[/spoiler] and [spoiler]"Will she interact with Judge Rico when she gets out there?"[/spoiler]

Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

8-Ball

Quote from: 8-Ball on 20 June, 2014, 07:27:46 PM
Been to busy watchin' the fitba but here's my brief overview of Meg 349 -

Cover - Lovely stuff from Cameron Stewart (Dredd's a bit cartoonish but Anderson is rocking it with the short 'do.)

Judge Dredd: Rad To The Bone (part 3) - More of the same as part 1 and part 2. The panel where Fryer punches a mutie right through the face gave me Mark Millar flashbacks. Not a fan and I'm just glad that it's ending this month.

Loved David Pugh's work on Wildcat and Eagle when I was a wee boy.

Tales Of Mega-City One: Two Tons Of Trouble - Obvious twist. Could have been set anytime in the last 35 years of Dredd. Without wanting to go over old ground but what was the point of Chaos Day again?

The Man From The Ministry (part 2) - Nice art but not really sure where the story is heading. That could be a good thing. The alien invaders are suitably icky.

Could do with seeing more from Nick Percival (beyond Traumatown) and Vince Locke.

Anderson, Psi Division: Dead End (part 7) - A fitting ending to a fine Anderson story. Dredd redefines "Boot knife!" and Anderson's new resolve is like a breath of fresh air. Even without Algol Rey the city is killing her so some new scenery could do her the world of good. I'll be happy just as long as it doesn't go all  "Voyage of the Seeker"/"Postcards from the Edge"/"Postcard to Myself". Been there, done that. Two questions I have now are [spoiler]"How will her transfer to the Mutant Townships affect Dark Justice?"[/spoiler] and [spoiler]"Will she interact with Judge Rico when she gets out there?"[/spoiler]

Stomm! Bad idea to watch the telly and type at the same time.

glassstanley

Just for balance, I'm going to add my liking of the Karyn strips. Loved Adrian Salmon's artwork since his Cybermen strip in Doctor Who Magazine, and I really like the way these kind of strips built upon elements of the Dredd/Anderson continuity.

Richard

In response to 8-Ball's first spoiler-tagged question, we know that [spoiler]Dark Justice[/spoiler] was written in 2012 and will very likely be set in 2134, thereby avoiding any such continuity problems. It's the same thing they did with Shamballa, which when it first appeared in progs 700 to 711 had a title page saying "Shamballa: a pre-Necropolis story."

8-Ball

Quote from: Richard on 21 June, 2014, 12:43:04 AM
In response to 8-Ball's first spoiler-tagged question, we know that [spoiler]Dark Justice[/spoiler] was written in 2012 and will very likely be set in 2134, thereby avoiding any such continuity problems. It's the same thing they did with Shamballa, which when it first appeared in progs 700 to 711 had a title page saying "Shamballa: a pre-Necropolis story."

That would make sense. As you say there is already a precedent for it.

Frank

Necropolis, pivotal point in the Dredd narrative that it is, seems particularly susceptible to stories set either before, during, or in its immediate aftermath. As well as the follow up stories offering different explanations of Chief Judge Silver's fate and Wot PJ Maybe did during Necropolis, we were treated to another tale of Death & Co's month of misrule in The Megazine just last month. John Wagner made a smart move by leaving the reader - or, as it turns out, other writers - to fill in the blanks.

8-Ball

Quote from: Sauchie on 21 June, 2014, 06:18:07 PM

Necropolis, pivotal point in the Dredd narrative that it is, seems particularly susceptible to stories set either before, during, or in its immediate aftermath. As well as the follow up stories offering different explanations of Chief Judge Silver's fate and Wot PJ Maybe did during Necropolis, we were treated to another tale of Death & Co's month of misrule in The Megazine just last month. John Wagner made a smart move by leaving the reader - or, as it turns out, other writers - to fill in the blanks.

Although I have long since gotten over it, as a wee boy of 11 I found the time jump to be quite jarring. One minute Kraken is releasing the DJs from limbo and you are left with a "Ho-lee. This shit just got real!" cliffhanger. The following week you find out that all the "cool stuff" happened off-panel and we're now in the Cursed Earth with crazy McGruder and no-nose Joe.

James Stacey

I'll add my voice to the agreement about the Anderson strip. The artwork is excellent and Anderson feels like she is going somewhere again. I think it might partly be down to the inclusion of Dredd to play off which we haven't seen for ages. The last panel exchange is so typical of Anderson back in the day

johnfreeman

Quote from: johnfreeman on 18 June, 2014, 10:00:23 AM"Cabal", also drawn by Adrian and coloured by Pete Smith, was originally intended as a longer story, I came across the plotlines this morning. But I was diverted to writing scripts for the short-lived Judge Dredd Adventures (none of which were published, I think), so it never happened. I imagine some of you above are sighing with relief, but I still appreciated the brief experience of writing for the Dredd universe at the time.
[/i]

Matt Smith has given me permission to upload the original script for the published "Cabal" story, which may be of interest. It's here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/232125286/Cabal-Two-Parter-Script