Main Menu

Suggestions for the floppy

Started by Recrewt, 19 June, 2014, 12:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Smith

Quote from: Skullmo on 15 September, 2014, 10:02:12 PM
There was an email in the Meg this month saying they would rather have nothing than the floppy. I can't understand that view - if you really don't like it just throw it away!

Meanwhile I got the wish of my letter and the next Lobster Random series is being reprinted next month, mwahaha!

But I seriously doubt, as that chap suggested, that the Meg is strong enough to survive on its own without the floppy. Sure, some of them are poorer than others, but I've kind of even enjoyed the crappier ones I've read. The Zero series I mentioned in my letter isn't exactly the most well written thing I've ever read, but Kev Hopgood's art was well worth giving it a read, you know? They're better than nothing. You could cut the price down by removing them but I really don't think it'd be worth it. Besides, there are series' that deserve to be reprinted but wouldn't in any other format, and losing those would be a great shame, I reckon.

Skullmo

I loved the Zero ones and the Disaster ones - I thought they were really entertaining.

Others like Harke and Burr I hated - and yet I know people loved those ones.

I think Lobster Random is universally liked though  :P
It's a joke. I was joking.

Fontwell Magma

I can't remember the last floppy supplement I enjoyed.. and it's making me want to buy the megazine less... These old strips just have painful scripts that overly narrate what is happening in the panels with characters exclaiming what is happening. Maybe it just shows how much comics have matured but these seem more often than not a tedious read without depth. Perhaps it's because I'm a fairly new reader so most of these strips have no added nostalgia for me..

I'm annoyed I've written 3 fairly negative posts in a row. The meg itself is on top form, it's just these floppies leaving me flat.

Skullmo

Quote from: Fontwell Magma on 21 September, 2014, 11:11:33 PM
I can't remember the last floppy supplement I enjoyed.. and it's making me want to buy the megazine less... These old strips just have painful scripts that overly narrate what is happening in the panels with characters exclaiming what is happening. Maybe it just shows how much comics have matured but these seem more often than not a tedious read without depth. Perhaps it's because I'm a fairly new reader so most of these strips have no added nostalgia for me..

I'm annoyed I've written 3 fairly negative posts in a row. The meg itself is on top form, it's just these floppies leaving me flat.

. . . . just imagine it doesn't exist then

Fontwell Magma

Quote from: Skullmo on 21 September, 2014, 11:45:49 PM

Very good point. But I feel like I need to read everything I've paid for!

Recrewt

Whilst it's true that you can't please everyone, I think some of the recent floppies have been a little disappointing.  Lobster next month is a welcome return to form. 

Come on with that Brigand floppy!

Richard

Finn book 2.
Shadows.
The Dead.

...please!

Skullmo

Quote from: Richard on 22 September, 2014, 01:02:41 PM
Finn book 2.
Shadows.
The Dead.

...please!

The dead has been reprinted in an Extreme - get that! It's a great printing too

Fungus

Quote from: Skullmo on 21 September, 2014, 11:45:49 PM
I can't remember the last floppy supplement I enjoyed..

Imagine it's entertaining ?(!)

Goaty

Bolt-01

Surely Glimmer Rats would be worth a trade, though?

A sequel would be nice as well if you are reading this Gordon...

Andy Smart

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 22 September, 2014, 02:32:31 PM
Surely Glimmer Rats would be worth a trade, though?

A sequel would be nice as well if you are reading this Gordon...

It was released as an oversized hardback in 2002. It's long out of print now and is the perfect length for a floppy.

I'll second the request for more Finn as well as the final book of Black Siddha.

Link Prime

Quote from: Andy Smart on 22 September, 2014, 03:14:28 PM

I'll second the request for more Finn

Yeah, the Paul Staples stuff too.
The worlds 2nd best Stapler was a fine artist- whatever happened to him?

Recrewt

For some reason they don't seem to like doing floppies of stories that were in those HB collections that came out in the early noughties.  The first Lobster story was in one of those and they didn't put that in a floppy and started with the next story. Not sure why really but it leaves any Lobster fan with an odd mix of collections.

radiator

Quote from: JPMaybe on 15 September, 2014, 09:17:02 PM
I imagine I'll be rather alone in this but I'd like to see Prog 950 onwards Rogue Trooper (Friday) reprinted. Steve Tappin drew some cracking, futuristic tanks/planes and colourful battlescapes (twelve-year-old me loved the tank battle in an orchard) and post-Michael Fleischer, post-crappy original Rogue crossover, I think it was a pretty decent thrill.

I'm with you there - I remember really enjoying that era of RT, and think Tappin is seriously underrated as 2000ad artists go. I don't know how well it's aged, and it went off a cliff a bit when the alien insects got brought in, but in any case I'm sure it's infinitely better than the Fleisher stuff - which I found unreadable at the time both because of the scripts and the artwork (I never liked Smith's colour work and as much as I love Simon Coleby's recent work I'm not at all a fan of his early stuff).