Main Menu

Meg351: The Rising

Started by Proudhuff, 16 August, 2014, 11:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Four (gushing) reviews of the Megazine, not exactly overload is it? anyone else reading the meg? ...anyone?
DDT did a job on me

NapalmKev

Quote from: Proudhuff on 25 August, 2014, 10:26:00 AM
Four (gushing) reviews of the Megazine, not exactly overload is it? anyone else reading the meg? ...anyone?

Yes, I read the Meg.

Another good one. My only slight criticism would be with Lawless, I don't dislike it but I find a single judge trying to tame the prairie a bit baffling! it's the sort of thing I could see Dredd doing, but not any other Judge.

cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

NapalmKev

Quote from: Buttonman on 16 August, 2014, 09:44:14 PM
Has that[spoiler] magical bracelet[/spoiler] been seen in Dredd before? Seems a bit of a Macguffin...

Wasn't it a background piece in one of the 'Tales from the Black Museum'?

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

dweezil2

Quote from: Proudhuff on 25 August, 2014, 10:26:00 AM

I'm still reading The Meg, but it's something I like to savour inbetween bouts of progage!
So far up to Lawless, which I'm really enjoying, particularly the gorgeous monochrome art.
Wagner's Dredd is equally great!
So far, so good!   :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Prodigal2

I'm really enjoying the Meg at the mo' but since joining the 2000AD scene a few years back and having been mainly prog-centric during this time I have often been intrigued by the numbers reading the meg. What is the current approximate percentage of prog readers also picking up the meg? Anyone know?

Goaty

Great Meg! Dredd was classic!

But to be honest, I hate them in the 2000AD progs, and I still fucking hate Valkyries!

Please let there be Glimmer Rats in floppy soon!

Bolt-01

Goaty- You hate what?

Quote from: Goaty on 29 August, 2014, 03:46:19 PM

But to be honest, I hate them in the 2000AD progs, and I still fucking hate Valkyries!

James Stacey

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 29 August, 2014, 03:57:10 PM
Goaty- You hate what?

Quote from: Goaty on 29 August, 2014, 03:46:19 PM

???

Goaty

Hehe! I means Valkyries not them! hehe!

Fungus

Found 3 strips OK, while the Wagner was the only one with proper meaty chops. I have this sense that some fluffy material tends to float around and end up in the Meg. Plus tales produced for US reprinting. The Wagner/Flint tale stood out in this company.

I may flick through Valkyries and not read it. Pages of topless ladies isn't a great tribute to Steve Moore is it? Read only this week in TPO how badly this strip (pun kind of inevitable) was received at the time.

Not enjoying the Meg much, but it feels like the befuddled sister publication (in my humblest of opinions).

Molch-R

Quote from: Fungus on 30 August, 2014, 02:12:46 AM
I have this sense that some fluffy material tends to float around and end up in the Meg. Plus tales produced for US reprinting.

Neither of these things are true. Material is commissioned and produced for publication in 2000 AD and the Meg - we never produce material for US reprinting.

Dark Jimbo

I may flick through Valkyries and not read it. Pages of topless ladies isn't a great tribute to Steve Moore is it?

Why not? As the likes of Jonni Future and virtually ever Tale of Telguuth ever surely prove, the man was clearly an unashamed fan of some whimsical cheesecake in his fiction. It's not as though he was a rabid feminist forced by Tharg to write Valkyries against his better judgement.

Read only this week in TPO how badly this strip (pun kind of inevitable) was received at the time.

Well, there's nothing like making up your own mind. I happened to really like Valkyries, though well aware I'm in a small minority there - not Moore's best work but a fascinating universe created that could have supplied a great many more tales. And it's probably still the best co-option of Norse myths Tooth has ever had - better than Red Seas, Age of the Wolf or Black Shuck managed.
@jamesfeistdraws

ZenArcade

We all read the meg Proudhuff,and it has been quite good over the past couple of months, it's just the prog is a juggernaught at the moment and I am totally engrossed week to week. Ps I'm on the side of Goatys Glimmer Rats request. And whilst we are at it, now that Gordon Rennie is obviously totally on his game and seems to have a limitless appetite for hard work, could he not revisit aspects of Glimmer Rats? Z
Nb Mark Harrison would have to do the art.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Fungus

Quote from: Molch-R on 30 August, 2014, 01:49:53 PM
I have this sense that some fluffy material tends to float around and end up in the Meg. Plus tales produced for US reprinting.

Neither of these things are true. Material is commissioned and produced for publication in 2000 AD and the Meg - we never produce material for US reprinting.

Understood. What I was getting at - fumblingly - was the quality of reprint being bundled with the Megazine.
By US reprinting I was referring to Uprise, which may well - as a Dredd 'sequel' - appear in US format soon.

I'll be clearer next time  :-\

Fungus

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 August, 2014, 03:33:12 PM
I may flick through Valkyries and not read it. Pages of topless ladies isn't a great tribute to Steve Moore is it?

Why not? As the likes of Jonni Future and virtually ever Tale of Telguuth ever surely prove, the man was clearly an unashamed fan of some whimsical cheesecake in his fiction. It's not as though he was a rabid feminist forced by Tharg to write Valkyries against his better judgement.

Read only this week in TPO how badly this strip (pun kind of inevitable) was received at the time.

Well, there's nothing like making up your own mind. I happened to really like Valkyries, though well aware I'm in a small minority there - not Moore's best work but a fascinating universe created that could have supplied a great many more tales. And it's probably still the best co-option of Norse myths Tooth has ever had - better than Red Seas, Age of the Wolf or Black Shuck managed.

I tried. Read a few pages, but cringed throughout and with a heavy heart, left it there
(The art was great, very reminiscent of Alan Davis and promised much).
I loved Father Shandor back in the day, but know nothing of the other Moore strips you mentioned.