Started by Proudhuff, 25 August, 2014, 06:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Sorry if this has been popped up here already:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194429923/star-trek-axanar

But thought you might likee
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Amazing achievement.  Good concept, lovely SFX, designs and costuming, and an impressive cast.  But man that script is boring.  Really good writing always seems to be the hardest part of any endeavor.

Richmond Clements

QuoteGood concept, lovely SFX, designs and costuming, and an impressive cast.  But man that script is boring. Classic Star Trek. 

FTFY.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 26 August, 2014, 03:45:54 PM
QuoteGood concept, lovely SFX, designs and costuming, and an impressive cast.  But man that script is boring. Classic Star Trek. 

FTFY.

Heh!

Devons Daddy

This is now on my radar!!!
Shall throw this up on the big screen later today
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Tiplodocus

Looked pretty darned good on big telly.

I must be more forgiving\in a good mood because that held my attention and had me excited for the main feature!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Now there is another one!

Star Trek - Horizon: Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWD9RMp_Gfk

GordonR

It still sounds better than that Captain Warf series that Michael Dorn's been desperately trying to peddle.

"A new Trek series with a secondary character as lead, starring, written and conceived by me, one-track career actor Michael Dorn!"

(See also Richard Hatch's alternative Battlestar Galactica reboot/sequel.)

Daveycandlish

But I really would have preferred Richard Hatch's idea for BSG. 
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Steve Green

GordonR

I believe Rebellion had to shut down at least one Dredd 'fan' film production that was actually a bunch of chancers looking to raise Kickstarter money on the back of something they didn't have any rights to.

Steve Green

Yep, it was some movie judge death short being pitched by a couple of guys who do a lot of cosplay videos at conventions.

There was a bit of 'we've got permission' flying around at the time, which I thought was unlikely...

I've a vague recollection of a couple of others, but that was the main one.

Professor Bear

That article is a bit schizo and lacking in facts and context - for instance, it doesn't actually mention what the specific problem with Axanar was, though this is probably deliberate to justify the panic-mongering about other fan productions the article seems determined to push.  If you check Youtube and the like, mind, Star Trek Continues and New Voyages are still available, and Axanar-level fan movie Horizon still seems to be in production.

Mighty Godking covers all the ins and outs here: http://mightygodking.com/2016/01/02/the-axanar-faq/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-axanar-faq but the short answer to why Axanar got the axe chop seems to be that the producer was using the money to set up an independent studio, and was more or less selling Trek merchandise, too.  You missed a trick there, Steve.

Steve Green

Haha, well Dan got Planet Replicas out of it, just a bit of fun on my side.

Hard to say where the line was crossed compared to prelude - reading comments here that the director of Prelude bailed because of concerns about financial iffiness with the producer.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-trek-crowdfunded-movie-axanar-sued-1201669522/

I think it's just the sheer scale, when you start to get the producer paying himself a salary, it all gets a bit murky.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Steve Green on 03 January, 2016, 04:15:25 PM
Dan got Planet Replicas out of it

/phones Rebellion's solicitors