Main Menu

The New Slaine - A Simple Killing - Book Plate & Regular

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 19 December, 2014, 03:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

I have a cunning...that I will keep to myself for now....until it goes through ;)

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 30 January, 2015, 02:32:10 AM
I have a cunning...that I will keep to myself for now....until it goes through ;)

Make that....A Cunning Plan!

ThryllSeekyr

It's been resolved, and I have now successfully ordered the book I wanted as well as the regular digital version and now slowly downloading.

As for my cunning plan....re-registering my online shop account. It didn't do what I thought it would od and let me send money before realising it was my account that it kept locking and do the same.

Which it did!

So, I had ring my bank and ask them. they helped my reset account with Sage-Pay this took some time, Especially, as I had lost my telephone banking information and had to reset that that as well.

I could have done this anytime within the amount of time since the books had been made available, but because of the amount of sweat it cost me.....I procrastinated!

ThryllSeekyr

The book (Digital-Version) looks great!

With the pages of extra artwork, and those map pages, and the double page with the row of Og-ham script on it.

Just one thing, as I read the forward from the page  submitted by Vark. I realise Pat Mills did not acknowledge Australia at all when he said something about the Britain-Isles the rest of Europe and America along with Canada too (I think?) .

So what's wrong with the antipodes.......one terrible experience down south?

Could have been something I said about the earlier episodes in the story. I thought the first two Progs were very interesting and then a few or several Progs straight after those the story jumps abruptly from different locations and it appear to make little sense to me at the time, but it does improves as this part of the chronicle gets closer to the ending. There's is some very intriguing stuff there about those beast headed giants that I believe are the famed Titan's that were enough low by their own success's and laziness there after. Pat also mentions how London was settled and made by the Trojan's, not the Romans we are lead to believe. I think London started out as Lindon-Hill (According to Slaine - Demon-Killer!) and now that may not be right according to the latest instalment of Slaine here.  Anyway, who knows what is right since the history I was taught in school is most probably partially fiction, now. I only recall stuff about the pyramids of Egypt. Anyway, I wouldn't argue that with any local who grew up there and not a issue with me. I still enjoyed this one!

Even if the author forgot the land down-under exists or is this hinting at something more ominous?

BTW, couldn't even open the digital version of the novel on my own computer and ended up having descent squiz at it on y fathers older computer. I going to download it again while I wait for my hard-copy (Book-Plate!) to arrive.

ThryllSeekyr

I almost forgot Pat mentioned the thing about Eugenics which I later found out is just another name for Natural-Selection....Organised-Breeding of wild animals and......us!

Natural Selection is what I believe to happen when the cutest teenage girls are mostly attracted to the best looking and most successful teenage jocks for their physical superiority and a hint towards their bread winning skills. Yet now, it's who ever makes the most money, which is the latter and that doesn't mean it's restricted to just the best sportsmen, but any professional person regardless of their looks.

I've seen things turn out this way, as more and more ugly, but successful people are most commonly raising their more and more of their own.

So, I could wrong with my interpretation of the word. Eugenics[/b[] when I first read about it thinking of what happened in the Island of Doctor Moreau which is about performing vivisection on the lower animals (Primates and various other Omnivores that walk on four limbs!) to give them a taste of humanity. By forcing them to walk upright, alter their front limbs into tool using hands and even surgically alter their vocal cords to allow them to talk as humans as well.  As if it would be that simple,....I'm sure there is more to it than that!

Pat hinted that what he was talking about was responsible for creation of the mythical creatures that inhabit the world of Slaine. It was he that compare this to Island of Doctor Moreau and that's what got me interested. Perhaps he meant vivisection (Operating on the brain as well!) I wonder if this explains how Formorian's came to be. My favourite assumption here is that they were the deformed or just overweight relatives of the tribes of the Earth-Goddess who were ostracised for being deformed or otherwise different. They literally started out from within the tribes and were ousted as soon as they could walk or showed signs of being too different. (Of course, what is to be said about being a Warped-One!) Left to the elements to fend for themselves, they were taken in by Dagon[/url] (According the origins that state it's a fish-man deity and not the less interesting Philistine fertility and crops deity (Fancy that! A race of monsters well known for raiding the more southern tribes for their food and maiden tears worshipping a farming god!)  and were further mutated by their exposure to it's power.

Not sure, but I would love to find out what else Apt Mills has install  for us from the Slaine-verse

Even if he is eventually killed off, this is still the unexplored territory of the plethora of origin tales that could be mined from various parts of the entire sage so far.

Ukko? (Did he really come from pace called Scragg-Faggot-Green? (Slaine-Diceman 2!)

Slough Feg (Remember Judge Death - Boyhood of a Super-Fiend!)

Fomorians (They're Origins and who was Balor and how did he get his Evil-Eye? All I know is that Slough Feg himself was there when this happened!)

Cythrons (Where they came from and they're battle with the Archons how they lost!)

Archon's (Who were they? Good-guys or maybe no one is!)

Dark-Gods (I'm a little confused here, maybe this was another name for the Cythron's or the Cyth  (They're own gods!) or the god's worshipped before the rise of the Danu (Another tale in itself!) 

Danu the Earth or Mother Goddess (Her own story before Slaine was born and some back ground to the triple identities in the guise of goddess.......

CONTINUED LATER......and apologies for any perceived slights against anybody in this commentary

TordelBack

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 05 February, 2015, 12:09:46 PM
I wonder if this explains how Formorians came to be. My favourite assumption here is that they were the deformed or just overweight relatives of the tribes of the Earth-Goddess who were ostracised for being deformed or otherwise different. They literally started out from within the tribes and were ousted as soon as they could walk or showed signs of being too different...  Left to the elements to fend for themselves, they were taken in by Dagon (According the origins that state it's a fish-man deity and not the less interesting Philistine fertility and crops deity...)  and were further mutated by their exposure to it's power.

Wow. I think it's fair to say you arguably think too much about all this, but you come up with some really fascinating ideas sometimes, Thryll.

Wasn't it you who also had a theory about Ukko being some deposed Finnish weather god doing penance as a lowly dwarf? I really liked that one, too.
@jamesfeistdraws

ThryllSeekyr

I WILL CONTINUE MY LAST POST SOME OTHER TIME TODAY OR OTHERWISE LATER.....

I not have the book in my hands and wonder how differs from the regular edition. Apart from having the inside cover page signed (I assume it's Pat Mills because, I got the impression the second letter looked a bit like a M (It's so obvious...(Slaps own head!) and a sample of Simon Davis's art-work on this on a piece of card (Same shape as the book!) with a profile of Slaine's head. Larger than life and in the back ground facing right.  (Which should look excellent on commemorative or real coinage!) and that woman named Sinead. Who was at first so unsettling in her appearance (Is that the desired effect?) in that swim suit. Yet, the more I stare at pictures of her, the more I get used to he and even find oddly alluring. (A hint of Sigourney Weaver!) I guess she's most sought after if in this part of the world in those times. Yet, she's no love interest for Slaine.....yet (By initial appearances!) She looks like she's would give me hell if I ever met her in real life. (Again...Sigourney Weaver ;)) She does look kind of malcontent and in leage with the punk set of 1970/80's.

A punk revival!

Which was what I though about [b}Slaine[/b] when I first got seriously into this stuff. 

Imagine being woken up at night and finding her standing right in front of you like she does here.....

Since, I got my digital copy, I  have read it in dribs and drabs from the middle to the end and may do so again from the start some time very soon.

While the look of Simon Davis's art work (In this chronicle so far....) is more serious than I suspected from getting a sneak peak of how he might have illustrated for Slaine when he did that poster in a earlier issue of the Megazine (Which I can't find a copy of to show online!) ......and his work still ticks most of the box's at this stage. I only wonder how he might have done the early stories pre-Horn-God

Pat Mill's story telling is much better than it has been for a while. Since the Horned God and Book of Invasions.

ThryllSeekyr

Any difference between either book.

I've only bothered with getting the Book Plate Edition.

glassstanley

The book plate edition is the regular edition with a sticker in the front. And a nice print

Dredd Head

Ordered this last week and finally arrived this morning.

What a beautiful work of art, Simon Davis's painted artwork is a feast for the eyes and the story Pat Mills is weaving left me needing more in a good way.

I opted for the bookplate edition (#93 if anyone was interested) not for any reason other than the art print that came with it looked wonderful.

Here's hoping book 2 is not too far off in the horizon  :)

ThryllSeekyr

Hawkmumbler

I believe I read somewhere it's due around November. Please feel free to correct my bollocks though.

Max Headroom

Amazon have book 2 of 'The Bruttania Chronicles' listed for the 14th of January 2016. Amazon are often slightly 'out' with their dates, but sometime in January next year seems a safe bet as it's definitely not shipping this year.

ThryllSeekyr

Do they have a picture of the new book. They usaully advertise 2000AD GNs before they're even printed.