Main Menu

Meg 356 Rapid Response

Started by Skullmo, 17 January, 2015, 12:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

That is a great Meg. That's saying something as one of the stories is awful and Demarco is ordinary.
The cover is a belter and the Megazine is lifted by an exceptional Dredd strip and if anything an even better Angelic. They are both dark and in a sense hopeless in outlook, but there is something at the heart of each that is truly human and touching. This is high quality writing indeed.
Awful to hear we're losing Al to the states....i hope it is brief. z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 January, 2015, 12:09:20 PM
Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 23 January, 2015, 11:51:52 AM
b]Dredd[/b] AT LAST!! In just a few brilliant pages Al Ewing brings the Day of Chaos impact on the citizenry to vivid life in just a few pages.[...] MORE please

Sadly, I think Al said on Twitter that this was likely to be his last Dredd for a while.

Cheers

Jim

Bugger

Jim_Campbell

If we start a rumour that Al's a jihadist (fulsome beard, name starts with Al) then the Americans won't buy his books and he'll have to come back...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

Well Jim you've scuppered Al's move to the states....all of your above has flagged up on an NSA database. Z

I, Cosh

Pretty good Meg all round.  A nice cover from Mr Ronald. I did think it was slightly unfortunate that it came so soon after a very similar composition from Boo, but both are excellent images in their own right.

Absolutely belting Dredd episode. Sorry to see Al moving on but it's good to get a conclusion to his storylines, especially if it's going to continue at this level. Al's seems quite keen on using bits of other languages in his scripts. Sometimes - Damnation Station, for one - this has a point in the story and others it's just for fun. The nom de guerre gag in this must be one of the most convoluted ever. Chapeau!

I've never seen anyone on here say much about Al's Yankee work. What's worth getting?

Interesting that another new strip updating the backstory of a vintage Dredd villain should pop up now. In stark contrast to Orlok, I thought Angelic was a whole passel of fun. The inversions of existing history tickled my funny bone and the nods to continuity made me smile. I guess this is the story to scratch that Cursed Earth Koburn shaped itch.

DeMarco was readable and American Reaper had some nice dresses. I don't usually read the articles so can someone else tell me if I should trade in my old Jonny Nemo collection for the newer model?
We never really die.

NapalmKev

Another Great Meg, not a single bad story!

Did I spot an ABC Warriors reference in American Reaper? On page 11 (full page, characters stood under glass dome), the Dome itself looks like 'Howard Quartz' Head - without the brain, obviously.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Proudhuff

Sorry to hear we're losing the Al you in? Droid. This is the Dredd I want to read, not the ilogical lost in space cuƕrently in the prog
DDT did a job on me

Jacqusie

I really liked the Johnny Nemo article, it wasn't too long / overblown and it hopefully has opened up his world to new readers.

I was lucky enough to be there in the Deadline days loved the strip for it's mixture of no nonsense violence and raipier wit, and of course it was drawn by Brett.

I don't think there are many stories that I haven't continued to read in 2000AD world, but I'm seriously considering skipping American Reaper... that or just look at the multitude of dull, lifeless computerised mug shots and try to accept that the megazine is yet again filling space it can't afford & bending me over for the privilage.

...as for the inking on D.I Marco P.I... it's not a very good strip to start with is it?

You might tell I'm not feeling the love for the megazine, and haven't done so for a while. In my humble opinion I think they should do away with it now & merge it with 2000AD before things get any worse...

Si

Theblazeuk

Dredd was the clear standout this month, Demarco next and Angelic - well, let's see. American Reaper was better this month because things actually happened... but better is short shrift in this case. I am not a big fan of the photoshopped artwork, it always feel very static.

robert_ellis

I really like the mix of strips in the Meg right now. I think reaper might benefit from a lower page count but I really like the art. I think it's quite a brave way to update the Eagle style photo stories. Dredd really couldn't be better. I really loved the Reaper back up strip & pin up.

Magnetica

Quote from: Jacqusie on 24 January, 2015, 01:44:23 PM
You might tell I'm not feeling the love for the megazine, and haven't done so for a while. In my humble opinion I think they should do away with it now & merge it with 2000AD before things get any worse...

It just goes to show what Colin said on last week's Prog thread..put 5 Squaxx together and you will get 5 different opinions on what is good and what is bad.

There have certainly been times when some of the stories in the Meg have not been to my liking, (Soul Sisters, Cal Hab Justice, Harke and Burr spring most readily to mind) and the Prog was far more to my liking, but I thought this month's meg was the best for a very long time.

I for one would be really disappointed if they stopped publishing it. It gives the creators a chance to create a slightly different type of story than you get in the Prog - which reading the intro to the Mega Colllection was the whole point.

WhizzBang

I am a new subscriber to the Megazine after picking up a copy during a recent visit to London convinced me to jump in - before this I just bought the books.

My review of this issue is a 'hooray for everything!'. I enjoyed it all and do not regret subscribing. I enjoyed American Reaper, which I did not expect to as the art is a bit off-putting with silly poseurs in dark glasses. Looking past that I find it a solid read and am looking forward to the next installment.

I haven't subscribed to 2000ad weekly as 52 comics a year is just a bit much for me to manage. I am happy to wait and see entire serials put out as 'floppies' and pick up JD Case Files for all the Dredd I am missing.

ZenArcade

There are few greater pleasures than to collect your prog every Wednesday from the newsagents. Z

Theblazeuk

I prefer the Reaper Files over American Reaper itself.

Hawkmumbler

I didn't put the title Angelic and the potential content matter together until I got to the first page. File this under 'One's that nearly went over your head'.