Main Menu

Blade Runner 2

Started by Goaty, 27 February, 2015, 09:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 21 December, 2016, 06:43:44 AMBut the directors cut is apparently what Scott really envisioned and so I would have to lean towards that as the "real" version of the film.

Or so he says. it's a matter of personal choice since we have multiple versions to choose from - the work print being the original cut without narration or unicorn - and going from recent statements by Denis Villeneuve, he may not want to answer it either, and for good reason -

"(Denis Villeneuve) says it was very important to him not to break the tension of the mystery that lingers around Scott's original movie, or solve all its riddles. You might think that because Nexus 6 replicants only have a four-year lifespan, that the return of Ford in Blade Runner 2049 as Deckard answers the question regarding his humanity, but Villeneuve says "not necessarily."

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/12/07/denis-villeneuve-suggests-blade-runner-2049-may-not-tell-us-if-deckards-a-r

QuoteI'm not sure you can compare back to the original Dick story as the film has almost no resemblance to it.

Fancher stripped it down to the basic plot of Deckard, Rachel and the Replicants while dumping the wife, Mercerism, the Replicant police station and the focus on animals, but the intention of a story about a human android hunter hunting synthetic humans in a run-down city remains in the original scripts and the idea of whether he was a Replicant or not seemed to be in or out depending on the draft - and really only in VO narration from an alternate ending never shot (Scott says he never wanted narration either). It doesn't seem to be in the shooting script so I'm not sure I believe the 'It's what I always intended' bit. It's a bit like the revisionism of the Prequels and Greedo shooting first.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 December, 2016, 10:35:38 AM
Quote from: SIP on 21 December, 2016, 06:43:44 AMBut the directors cut is apparently what Scott really envisioned and so I would have to lean towards that as the "real" version of the film.

Or so he says. it's a matter of personal choice since we have multiple versions to choose from - the work print being the original cut without narration or unicorn - and going from recent statements by Denis Villeneuve, he may not want to answer it either, and for good reason -

"(Denis Villeneuve) says it was very important to him not to break the tension of the mystery that lingers around Scott's original movie, or solve all its riddles. You might think that because Nexus 6 replicants only have a four-year lifespan, that the return of Ford in Blade Runner 2049 as Deckard answers the question regarding his humanity, but Villeneuve says "not necessarily."

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/12/07/denis-villeneuve-suggests-blade-runner-2049-may-not-tell-us-if-deckards-a-r

This makes me happy, as one of the reasons I'm a bit iffy about a sequel existing is that I don't want definitive answer to that. Not sure how they can duck around it without giving some sort of explanation though, but we'll see.

If I end up not liking it I can probably happily pretend it never happened, like The Thing prequel. Of all the things I dislike about that prequel (and boy, there's a lot I dislike about that) the worst is that [spoiler]adding the 'no metal fillings/piercings' to the creature's set-up actually answers the question of whether or not Childs is human at the end of the original film.[/spoiler] I don't think they set out to do that, it just seems like it never even crossed their minds, and that grinds my gears somewhat.

JOE SOAP

Deckard has dropped his Art Deco duds for casual catalogue wear.

JOE SOAP

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 December, 2016, 10:10:11 PM
'Blade Runner 2049' Helmer Denis Villeneuve Eyed to Direct 'Dune'

That's amazing news. DUNE, IMHO is almost unfilmable due to the bonkers Drugs/Revolution/Superman/Eco-transformation message so it will be trimmed down to a Star Wars type movie. Unlucky aristocrat Paul Atreides is betrayed and overthrown by his evil Uncle Baron Harkonan and gets stoned so he can seek revenge! Donald Trump on acid I guess.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mute77

Im happy to keep the directors cut as the definitive version of the film and i like to think of Deckard as a replicant. Saying that, though i never thought id accept a sequel, the calibre of the director and the new trailer suggest i should at least give it a chance...the trailer looked pretty good.

sheldipez

Quote from: Mute77 on 22 December, 2016, 12:38:00 PM
Im happy to keep the directors cut as the definitive version of the film and i like to think of Deckard as a replicant. Saying that, though i never thought id accept a sequel, the calibre of the director and the new trailer suggest i should at least give it a chance...the trailer looked pretty good.

I feel exactly the same. Also feel better knowing Scott isn't directing this one after the disappointment in the sequel to his other great sci-fi film. Every time I watch Prometheus I seem find more things I dont like.

JOE SOAP

SIP

Really looking forwatd to this film. Can't wait for the trailer.

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Looks like this new cut of BLADE RUNNER includes the story – instead of avoiding it.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - Official Trailer

IAMTHESYSTEM

Well having viewed it a few times I can say it left a favorable impression on me. Liked the 'disposable workforce' quote and the tone of the Movie seems very similar to the dour, neon hell of the original. The massive Atari logo certainly brought back some 80's CyberPunk nostalgia but a memory, as Philip K Dick knew can be a fickle thing. Remember all the excitement about Ridley Scott's Prometheus? That didn't turn out too well in the end as I recall.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 08 May, 2017, 09:12:55 PM
Remember all the excitement about Ridley Scott's Prometheus? That didn't turn out too well in the end as I recall.

Neither did a lot Ridley's films before Prometheus so it wasn't that much of a surprise but Denis Villeneuve is doing much better than the average so far.

Tiplodocus

That looks and sounds gorgeous, has a great cast, and good writer director combo.  So I'm in.

But why does the trailer go to such lengths [spoiler]to make you think Gosling is a replicant from the get-go.[/spoiler]?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Spikes

The 2 teasers for the full trailer didn't fill me with much enthusiasm at all, but there's a lot to like in this release.

I still have concerns though - mostly about how Ridley has shaped this. And BR was such a unique film in a lot of ways, that this new instalment does look like a generic Sci-fi film at times.

Time will tell.