Main Menu

Nemo: River of Ghosts

Started by Satanist, 16 March, 2015, 12:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Got this last week so surprised to find no reviews yet.

Think this has been the best in a while. Doesn't get bogged down with loads of smarty pants references* and just gets on with telling a rollicking good adventure with loads of crazy shit for Mr O'neill to draw in big fat spash pages.

*still had to check a few things on google but that's part of the fun & education, just not on every single panel mind.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Dammit I was in a comic shop last Thursday, how did I miss this. LoEG volumes are one of the highlights of my year.

Hawkmumbler

Isn't this set to be the final volume? For DDD's sake I hope they release an omnibus in paperback. Me? I can't wait to get my mits on River of Ghosts. I loved both Heart of Ice and Roses of Berlin, despite them being the only LOEG material i've read (I know, shoot me down).

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 16 March, 2015, 01:15:56 PM
I loved both Heart of Ice and Roses of Berlin, despite them being the only LOEG material i've read (I know, shoot me down).

That's a shame - Janni Nemo's story is very much a four-parter, starting with the 1910 chapter of LOEG:Century. I wonder how HoI would read without that.
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

I was given HOI as a birthday present so I naturally just got on from their. I've never been afraid of getting into long running series so I treated this as such. I was aware enough of the LEOG timeline (Book I and II mainly) to get where this placed within.

I hugely enjoyed it, and intend to get around to the other titles at some point this year.

The Adventurer

Oddly it hasn't turned up on ComiXology yet. Previous volumes have been promptly released, so I wonder what's up.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dunk!

Got this at the London Con this weekend. Stood in front of the GOSH stall starring at a signed copy whilst cancelling it on preorder on my phone - love technology.

Looking forward to a good read to.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Dunk!

Hmm, ok annotations for this volume needed now.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Proudhuff

Loved it. And the set/spines look soo good on me shelf :D ;)
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Yeah, good spineage alright!

Got this today and loved it, exactly the kind of brilliant fun I was hoping for, especially Dan's Pa and the Kitchen Appliances. Perhaps not a lot of depth added to Janni's story, but an enjoyable conclusion all the same. Was sorry to see there was no text piece, as these are usually where Moore sows the seeds of future adventures or alludes to as yet untold chapters - does this mean LoEG is actually done? Durg, I hope not!

I loved the frontispiece with the elderly (original) Nemo and his battered Nautilus, presumably from just before the events  of Century: 1910, bringing us full circle.

vark

Got my signed copy in the mail this week from Gosh!, and I am absolutely delighted by this third volume that add a lot of depth to the overall story (not including Century indeed): [spoiler]which is basically Janny Vs Ayesha in a combat beyond death or more accuratly Nemo dynasty vs Ayesha's one[/spoiler].

LoEG is copublished by Top Shelf in the US and Knockabout in the UK, so I think that it will appear on Comixology with the Top Shelf physical release. Also in digital form River of Ghosts is already on sequential if I remember correctly.

What has struck me the most with this last installment was how coherent these three books were regarding the pace (each one tells a continuous chase from beginning to end), the design (how the front covers patterns are arranged as well as second and third of cover pastels), and the interior art form with a fixed graphic chart that is rigorously kept by the authors along the three books (4 panoramic panels pattern to open each book, double splash pages with inserted panels always on the right, etc..).

TordelBack

You're dead right about the coherence of the Nemo books. The simple story structure, the consistent design and layout, it's all very satisfying. The way each evoke the different style and concerns from the fiction of not only each period but also each location is also neatly done. Hugely accomplished work from two masters, great colourist and legendary letterer, and a brilliant publisher.

Something else I enjoyed is how well these slot in between the volumes of Century to tell parallel complementary stories - with young Janni's succession in 1910, and Jack Nemo's nuclear threats in 2009 providing prologue and epilogue for Nemo, a well as red herrings for the LoEG crew. Add in the Black Dossier and the New Traveller's Almanac and you have a fantastically complete  setting for these stories.

Apestrife

In short, I really liked this one. Had a good adventure feel to it, and did good building upon the two Nemo books before it. It also felt a bit less pervy, while the bikinitrons certainly gave Oneil a chance to draw naked women there where no tits out sword fight like in roses haha.

And not only did the book bring a lovely ending to Jenny, it -perhaps- also put a league of villains into play and setting up Jack Nemo for some chuthulu-stuff. Can't wait to see what that'll be about in bk. 5  :o!

Will definitely see to reading Ice, Roses and then it this weekend!

TordelBack

These books are at an interesting price point, aren't they? A bit cheaper than the Mega Collection for a lot less pages, but all new material and similarly stylishly produced and satisfying to own. I'd much rather buy something like this than 2-or-so standard US floppies for much the same money.