Main Menu

Loot Crate?

Started by Link Prime, 24 March, 2015, 08:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Any UK / ROI forumites subscribed to this?
I've been tempted a few times before, but have held back.

I'd be interested to find out if the tax adds much to the overall cost.

Dandontdare

I've not seen that one, but a workmate gets a similar one from My Geek Box and is very happy with it - she offered me the prog that came in November's "Best of British" box. I told her I already had it so she should spread the thrillpower and give it t someone who hadn't read it.

maryanddavid

Never heard of it until now and it looks cool, but the house is heaving with stuff already I couldn't justify it.

Skullmo

If people send me money Ill just put together a box full of all the stuff I don't want!

You may laugh but you could have had:
A Wario card wall shadow projector from 1993
A TMNT Burger King toy from 1991
A couple of Gundam cigarette cards from the 70s
A Donkey Kong Country poster
A copy of Rant (Portsmouth's Youth Magazine) with Sporty Spice on the cover
And an apple
It's a joke. I was joking.

Dandontdare

I mentioned this thread to that workmate today and she said "oh we get loot crate as well, and one other" (she did mention the name but I can't remember - pop something). She's also considering a new Marvel monthly box deal - seems like these things are very popular at the moment.

She said there were no hassles or hidden charges with loot crate

TordelBack

Tax in ROI should depend on declared value, probably including shipping cost. Customs will leap on anything box-shaped. I paid about 30 euro on the Reaper Bones Kickstarter, which cost about 130 inc shipping.

Dunk!

Pop in a Box and Geek Box are two others i know of.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

James Stacey

My mate has been getting a loot crate for a while now but has cancelled it due to overdosing in 'cool tat'. It's great but there is only so much you can accommodate :) he says he's sorted for presents for people for a few years though.

shaolin_monkey

I did Geek box for 3 months out of curiosity. It was all useless junk.

JamesC

So it's like shopping but without all the pesky choices?

shaolin_monkey

Or the pesky worthwhile end product.

I still have two tees I'll never wear, a book I had already read (although admittedly it was a good one - WWZ), some Marvel related sweets I gave to the kids, some LOTR postcards only good for bookmarks, and GoT pop vinyl figure I gave away to a friend, who was only marginally more interested in it than I.

Link Prime

Ok, feck it, I've taken the plunge.
Works out at exactly €70.85 for a three month subscription.
About the same as a months worth of Hachette reprints or small pieces of a model Corellian Freighter, if one needs some plausible justification.

DDD- Interesting to hear about the other (similar) products out there, I'd not really heard about any of them, but after some cursory Googling I'm a little bit taken aback by the (seeming) widespread popularity of it.
Tordelback- I'm hoping I won't be stung with any additional charges. I did look into some discussion on Loot Crate on Boards.ie- didn't find anyone giving out about tax / charges.

April will be my first, and it's 'Fantasy' themed- so I'm pretty much guaranteed a Game of Thrones T-shirt, Legend of Zelda figurine, Lord of the Rings pewter key-ring and exclusive Image comic that I can sell on eBay for a kings ransom, yeah? Yeah?

NB- apparently you get a $5 credit to your account if you 'refer a friend', so PM me those email addresses if you're signing up chums.  ;)

I know I can rely on YOU, Cyberleader2000.

JayzusB.Christ

As a proponent of owning as little as possible, and not really a fan of collectibles at all, this is really, really not my thing.  I'm only posting because I really like the name 'loot crate' - both oddly jarring and lusciously juicy, it's been stuck in my head since I looked at this thread. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Satanist

Didnt these used to be called "lucky bags" and cost £1 back in the day?

:lol:
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

10p, I think you'll find! The obsessions of early childhood are odd - I got a plastic flock-covered Tweety Bird in one once which become a prized possession (no idea why), and was forever disappointed by every subsequent haul - even the ones that had comics in them. Much like a rich schoomates's birthday party I went to when I was 8 where we all got spark-generating tin robots as treasure hunt prizes, and watched Every Which But Loose on Betamax - no party I have ever been to since has lived up to that day.