Main Menu

Light and Darkness War GN

Started by Tjm86, 23 June, 2015, 05:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

I always loved this when it first came out so I was chuffed that it was finally getting the GN treatment.  Fair dues to Titan they have done a nice job on it.  Same size as the original comic and the reproduction quality is on a par with the original (Epic released it on glossy paper back in the day). As seems to be a growing trend, it lacks a dustcover.   

An intro by some American Naval officer I've never heard of does give it a nice start, looking at the different way in which Vietnam veterans were treated compared to the treatment of WWII / Gulf Conflict / Afghanistan veterans which will probably help a younger audience understand some aspects of Laz's personality.  It is bookended by an article by Tom Veitch detailing development, illustrated with development sketches from Cam Kennedy and an article about the career and relationship of both writer and artist that led to the development of LADW.  All round this is a nice package.

Cam Kennedy's artwork is sumptuous and has to be some of his best.  The combination of Vietnam era military hardware and off the walls bonkers alien tech inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci just works even though it seems like it ought not to.  The only time his skills seem to fail is in the drawing of the car that Lazarus crashes at the start.  It lacks the accuracy that his military hardware possesses.

SFX reviewed this and commented that the characterisation was a bit lacking in places.  There are certain caricatures in places (the South African arms dealer) so I can see the point there.  That said, the pace of the tale and the action quotient tend to mask that out.

There are probably not many folks that have not read this on this site and I'm sure the general consensus will be that it is well worth the read.  If you have yet to read it, well, I can't recommend it enough.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 June, 2015, 05:00:38 PM
There are probably not many folks that have not read this on this site and I'm sure the general consensus will be that it is well worth the read.  If you have yet to read it, well, I can't recommend it enough.

I'll be honest: I've always thought Tom Veitch had a tin ear for dialogue, and the script is generally terrible. But, if you treat L&DW as a great big Cam Kennedy art book, you'll find a great deal to enjoy.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dunk!

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 June, 2015, 05:35:12 PM
Treat L&DW as a great big Cam Kennedy art book

Wise words. Looking forward to revisiting this and giving my eyeballs a treat.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Daveycandlish

Jim is a wise man. The script is pants but the artwork is glorious.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!