Main Menu

Abominable Glory...(or pimping my graphic novel)

Started by chris_askham, 04 July, 2015, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_askham

Hello all,

Back in March my first graphic novel from Markosia was published and unleashed at the London Super Comic Con. It's written by Martin Hayes, with art by my good self and designed and lettered by Bram Meehan. And it's got a lovely cover by the talented Matt Soffe.

Brief synopsis -

WWII, the Himalayas. The British Commandos knew that extracting the Japanese spy would be difficult, but they thought the German Paratroopers would be the most monstrous thing they'd have to face. Find out how wrong they were in this tale of blood and bullets, monsters and madmen, and bravery beyond belief.

It can be purchased from numerous online stores, or from the Markosia site itself, and you may even spot it at the odd con. Currently Amazon have it for around £6 (plus p&p) for a physical copy, and £2.59 for digital.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abominable-Glory-Martin-Hayes/dp/1909276472/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436041470&sr=8-1&keywords=abominable+glory

We've got a small promo running over on the Facebook page at the minute, where you can pick up a mini art card featuring original art from the book, if you've already purchased a copy.

https://www.facebook.com/AbominableGlory

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Chris.

ZenArcade

Looks a damn fine read chris....hope I get my mitts on it. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Bolt-01

Ah Chris, you had me at WWII commando...

To amazon...

Daveycandlish

Got this on my Kindle as soon as it came out - Chris' work is as brilliant as always! Everyone should buy it!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Bolt-01

Yeah, downloaded this last night and even without looking I know it will be worth it. Chris is one of 'the' finest artists around.

chris_askham

Thanks for the kind words fellas - and, of course, thanks for purchasing!

antodonnell

Well done on getting a book out. I shall grab it later and bring it with the load I have as holiday reading material :)

Greg M.

Darren Stephens

Another thumbs up from me. Great artwork, with a fun story. What's not to like?  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Colin YNWA

Always loved your work Chris and the concept is very interesting so at that price (feel a little guilty as the Amazon version I bought feels a bit of a steal!) its a done deal.

chris_askham

Thanks guys - hope those that buy a copy enjoy the read. Don't forget about the promo over on Facebook, and if you do enjoy it then please let me know and spread the word to others ;-)

Hawkmumbler

Ooooh, one for next payday me thinks. More Yeti comics are always on my wish list, and the fact it feels like (from the prievews at least) like a Battle Pictures Weekly strip is a great bonus.

chris_askham

Nice one, Hawkmonger! The artwork is indeed heavily influenced by Battle, and old war comics in general.

Colin YNWA

An unexpected bus journey, bereft of comics meant this got a hefty bump and I read it last night and this morning and have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The story is solid and while, okay there was one character whose actions didn't quite work for me, on the whole it was exactly what you'd expect. It served up a Battle Action Weekly comic (if a little more sweary) featuring yeti fighting WWII troops and that's the kind of thing I'm perfectly happy reading thank you very much.

The main reason I got this is I'm a big fan of Chris' art and on that front its an absolute triumph. The art is deceptively loose, allowing it to retain heaps of energy, which works perfectly for the story. The use of zippitone (or simulation there of I assume?) is something I always joy, but here serves the environment of the tale particularly well. Great white spaces, but the grays give it a hard and bitter edge. You feel the cold.

Yeah I'd happily recommend this... well in fact I am.