Main Menu

IDW sale

Started by sheridan, 17 July, 2015, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 29 July, 2015, 11:07:38 PM
All 30 issues of IDW's Dredd series finished and I'm amazed it lasted 30 issues.
I could list the things I didn't like, multiple covers for a start.
I thought 5 covers for xmen 1 in 1991 was excessive but 25 covers for Dredd 1 was just taking the piss.
I could live with the art but the stories were not even coherent and I can't work out what the editor did.
Now on to the other Dredd world IDW comics and fingers crossed they put a spark in the thrill circuits.

Year One and Anderson are both excellent.
Vs Mars Attacks - enjoyable, probably stretched a bit thin.
City of Courts - lamentable.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: dweezil2 on 29 July, 2015, 08:12:53 PM
Word on the street was Jimmy Palmiotti pitched an idea to write a Dredd series-who knows whether it would of turned out any better though!!!!

Wow did not know that.While we'll never know, based on some of the great work he's done, and I'm thinking specifically on Jonah Hex, I'd have liked to have found out.

Keef Monkey

The fact the artist on one of the issue one stories had clearly used pictures from the Stallone movie as uniform reference spoke volumes about how much they got the character really.

Reminded me of when I went to get my Judge Death/Dredd tattoo the artist hadn't realized I had a particular image in mind so had looked out a couple of possibilities to suggest to me and they were basically the first three pictures of Stallone that he found on an image search. This guy must have gone to similar lengths of research.

W. R. Logan

Dredd: Year One read and this should have shown IDW how Dredd can be done.
Matt Smiths story was a good read and Simon Colebys art was fantastic as always.
IDW must have wept all over it wishing that employed someone similar to do their other titles.

Feeling optimistic I then ploughed straight into the other IDW offering City Of Courts.
Once again IDW seemed to miss the whole point, the art wasn't awful it was just didn't fit either the sort or Dredd.
Since Prog 2 their have been many Dredd stories that I've not enjoyed, so there have been writers from these shores that haven't got it right.
But I think I can say that this would possibly be on my worst Dredd story ever list.

Fungus

Agreed, Logan. City of Courts made my eyes hurt. Just horrible, horrible.

As to why...? ... it wasn't throwaway. The art (let's forget the Lego faces) was intricate, and the writer was clearly trying to make clever points of difference about the American coasts. Um, OK.
Didn't help that I then read positive reviews of it (see also the ECBT podcast). Not for the first time I got to wondering if reviewers read the material.

Ugh.

James Stacey

I really wanted to enjoy City of Courts. I'd enjoyed Douglas Wolks blog and he seemed to have a good handle on what Dredd was about. None of which came across in the comic. It seemed disjointed, badly placed, baffling to follow at times .. and not at all like Dredd in any way. It seemed like he had a solid concept, how MC2 should differ from MC1 taking the lead from current cultural differences, but didnt know what to do with it in any meaningful or fun way. Fortunately Dredd Year 1, the Anderson one and Dredd - Mars Attacks were all great. (I'm pretending the main series never happened because .. well the less said the better)