Main Menu

Sinister Dexter - The Taking of the Michael over at my Bookshelf

Started by Grant Goggans, 21 October, 2015, 10:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Colin YNWA

As ever, fantastic review. It has to be said, judging by the comments on the review threads people seem to be warming to the latest story, in a way they haven't for a long time.

I'm a long term fan of the series and have frequently defended it while others seemed to have lost heart, so fair to say I might not be the best barometer of the strength of the series, but reviews like this and overall fan option seem to suggest - a few nah sayers aside (when isn't that the case with 2000ad! Vive La Difference) that, for a majority, the strip is returning to form.

I of course really hope its not to bring it to a conclusion. Its been a while now since Dan Abnett said he'd continue writing the series to his dying day as its an absolute favourite of his (2009 I think that was). The set up with this series seems to be to deliberately craft tension,teasing the possibility of a conclusion and it just might be, as Mr Abnett's attentions seems to split over so many great strips, that he's decided the best way to serve one of his favourites is to give it an ending. I think its a slight of hand and the conclusion that we'll get is simply that of the Mose Tenanbaum arch that is the source of such frustration for many fans.

I really hope that's the case and not a final ending for the leads, but I can definitely see it happening - which as Grant says leads to a wonderful story, with genuine tension.

TordelBack

I suspect the similarities of the framing device to the start of The Usual Suspects (police investigation of firefight on a boat) might hint that we're being misled S to identutues, but it's cool nonetheless. It'd be a shame to end SinDex - there's no real need to do so as neither man has any kind of character arc or integral plotline. It's the perfect open-ended strip for Abnett to return to whenever he has an idea, and we know he enjoys writing it.

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Arh but he might know that we're sophisticated* enough readers to call his bluff and hence he's double bluffing.

*Anyone who reads my posts must surely accept that... oh come on...

The Legendary Shark

And this is the Board, where opinions are hard as Satan's hooves. It's several years past high time and, in a lonely and threadbare thread on the corner of Spoilers and Other Reviews, Tordelback is about to say...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

Quote from: Tordelback on 22 October, 2015, 09:21:24 AM
- there's no real need to do so as neither man has any kind of character arc

I mis-read that at first - I though you said "neither man has any kind of character". And to be honest despite being in the Prog for 20 years I feel like I hardly know Ray at all.  Character development has never been at the fore-front of SinDex. But that doesn't stop it being one of my favourite strips and I really hope this isn't winding it up.

(I seem to remember they were killed off once before, fairly early on, only to be brought back - I guess due to popular demand?)