Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Doctor in da house

CrazyFoxMachine

...and here are the others

Looks grand so far!

Bat King

I am not happy with the casting.

1979 I spent time in hospital. A friend gave me a bundle of comics. The Defenders were in some. I carried on reading the Marvel UK reprints for a while.

At 11 I saw the images and read the words and for me Doctor Strange was a highly educated Hispanic man. I had Ricardo Montaban in mind if he was ever in a film.

So a white British guy... ruins my 37 year held memories. Anyone calling 'PC' on me for thinking an actor should be from the correct ethnicity can 'do one'. I was 11 when I formed my opinion on who Doctor Strange was. I didn't know WHAT PC meant (other than Police Constable).

It adds insult to injury that Cumberbatch was Khan...

And for the record - I think Cumberbatch is a good actor and seems to be a nice fella from what one can gather.

I will go to the Cinema having avoided Spoilers as best I can. I'll give it a fair crack.

PS - I with The defenders that we were getting was Doctor Strange, Hulk, Submariner & Valkyrie... The ones I read in 1979...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Jim_Campbell

Really? Stephen Strange? Hispanic? In 1979?! I'm guessing the New Romantics was a thing that happened to other people... :-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Bat King on 28 December, 2015, 09:28:33 PMAt 11 I saw the images and read the words and for me Doctor Strange was a highly educated Hispanic man. I had Ricardo Montaban in mind if he was ever in a film.

So a white British guy... ruins my 37 year held memories. Anyone calling 'PC' on me for thinking an actor should be from the correct ethnicity can 'do one'.

Not that I can ever impinge on your childhood memories Bat but I always took Steven Strange to be a rather vanilla white man - at least in the 60's and 70's Ditko and Colan art.

Isn't Strange an English surname derived from the French Le Strange or L'Estrange?

Dandontdare

Bat King

Yeah I have had lots of people tell me they can't see it... but that is how I saw it at the time.

I realized I got some details wrong - it was January 1978 I was in hospital and I was 10... (born October 1967).

Plenty of non-white folks have British Surnames. A New York Hispanic man with an English surname. Yeah my 10 year old brain coped with that.

Anthony Quinn - Irish Grandfather but apparently mostly ethnically Mexican.

It won't ruin the movie... if it is good. If it is bad I will blame it on the casting.
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

M.I.K.

Doctor Strange's middle name is Vincent.

CrazyFoxMachine

M.I.K.

Although, to be fair, I can see how somebody could make the connection to Ricardo Montalban in the late '70s. Similar hairstyle and features, and playing a mystical character on telly at the time.

Bat King

He looks TONS like Ricardo Montalban... or he did in the comics.

See - he was Hispanic/Latino mayb with an English Great Grandparent or something... but still. My younger self was right.

(but I'm still looking forward to the film)
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Colin YNWA

For me this is a great example of why comic book stuff just works better in comicbooks for a host of reasons, but here a simple one of look and design. Doc Stranges costume really works on the page and in a lovely 4 colour comic. Here it just looks a bit silly and he looks like he's played by David Copperfield played by the omnipresent Bendedict.

The Doc Cave as well!

Mind having said all that some things do seem to work and that Astral Plain image (I assuming) looks cool.

ThryllSeekyr

I like the cover picture where he doing that thing with his hand.

I saw pictures him on set weeks ago and meant o put them up here back then.

I figure he looks good enough for the role. I didn't really have anybody in mind or know of his true enthnicity.

As for Ricardo Montoban he's the one I had always thought would make  great Tharg if he was ever going to make it to the big screen. Despite how un-English he naturally is.

Not that I think this would be important is he is what he says he's is.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 December, 2015, 09:50:34 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 28 December, 2015, 09:28:33 PMAt 11 I saw the images and read the words and for me Doctor Strange was a highly educated Hispanic man. I had Ricardo Montaban in mind if he was ever in a film.

So a white British guy... ruins my 37 year held memories. Anyone calling 'PC' on me for thinking an actor should be from the correct ethnicity can 'do one'.

Not that I can ever impinge on your childhood memories Bat but I always took Steven Strange to be a rather vanilla white man - at least in the 60's and 70's Ditko and Colan art.

Oddly enough as a kid I always thought of the good Doctor as Hispanic (insofar as I had any notion of that term, which I didn't), a conception I suspect was based on association of flamboyant sorcery in a modern setting with Live and Let Die (just go with it).  That didn't survive later readings, but I am a bit disappointed that Everpresendict Omnibatch is playing him: Holmes, Smaug, Khan... Where will it end!