Main Menu

2000AD Southern Contingent Gathering at The Fox: Excel (LSCC) Sat 20th Feb 2016

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 31 December, 2015, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Eamonn Clarke

The men (and women) in black.
Wearing new shirts to distinguish ourselves from our friends in the north.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 21 February, 2016, 08:35:24 AM

Riddle me this, Batman. What do you call a group of 2000AD fans in a pub in that London dock lands?

Drunks?  :)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Tjm86

Mardroid

What I find curious about these events, is I can spend a large portion of the day there ( in my case between around 11:00 and 17:30-45) and I'll see one Souther. (In this case I saw him twice, first in his civvies, and later in Judge mode.)

Then I go to the pub later (boy, wasn't that noisy!) and there everyone is.

Not so surprising considering the crowd I guess, but I find it fascinating. I'm easily fascinated.

So, all in all a fairly good time, I think. Don't make my moaning in my previous post too seriously. It might not be all I hoped but it's largely what you make of these things, I think. This is only the third convention I've ever been to, the last one being 2015 LSCC which doesn't really count due to my extreme lateness for that one.

Anyway, I went back for that mooch around afore mentioned. That was worth it, as I found a book that I've been after for a while for a decent price (more on that a bit later*). Then I caught the rest of the costume parade thing. I say 'parade', it was mainly competitive cosplayers each doing their thing on stage. I.e.acting out something or mucking about.

Some of it had me scratching my head a bit, possibly as I didn't always get the references, or I was thinking, "is that it?" Or "what was that about?" If its primarily a costume competition, rather than a performance competition I guess fair enough. But then they'd just walk about, surely? (Actually one or two did just that.)

I'm really not sure what those Hellboy elves were doing. One waved a spear around then knocked a bowl out of the others hand. Eh? The costumes were good though.

My favourite was Iron Man. He came on in an excellent costume, complete with blue glowing bit. He did the usual pose, then on came a dance number, and he spent the the rest of his time doing a silly dance.

I'm not being sarcastic. It was a great but of comedy. I respect those guys/girls who don't take themselves seriously and lark about.

Killer Croc was another highlight.

A couple of other interesting costumes I saw (I don't think these guys actually competed, unless they appeared before I arrived): Dreddpool and Judge Punnisher. You can see the latter (sans helmet) in one of those group pictures above. His modification/recreation of the Judge helmet was really good. ( You can see one of our contingent attempting to crown his lady love with the Judge Punnisher helmet, above.)

I also got to handle an interesting Brit-Cit helmet (ooer). It didn't fit me unfortunately as an embarrassing picture somewhere will attest. The lion emblem was a decent bit of work.

Anyway, later on to The Fox for too much drink and good company. Then a tipsy wander with the remaining Southers to a hotel whose bar was also being put to good use....

One more drink later, feeling a bit ill, and my phone requiring a drink of its own (battery almost flat. Get it?) I borrowed the bars tv power adapter to charge my phone and caught a bit of shut-eye in the comfy armchair....

...cue waking up around 1:30 am to Commando Forces exclamation "so that's where you went!" and a young lady looking at me in an amused way as she walked past.

Time to go home. The others (my namesake and Bananaman's man) caught a cab, and I braved the night buses.

Long story later, which involved trekking for bus stops, (one of those due to an annoying Blackwall Tunnel route diversion) and missing a couple of night buses in Lewisham, I got home around 4:50am.

It was an experience anyway! (Looks like I had a horrendous time, I know, but while some of the wandering and waiting was a bit trying, I'm glad of the experience.)

My haul from the event:

Zenith Phase 4

A previous 2000ad comic con T Shirt. (The one with the large Judge Mek on the front.)

The Wytches - I've read good things about this.

*Grandville Mon Amour - I enjoyed the first of these and ordered the sequel later, only to find it was a German language edition. (I asked the seller to exchange it, but they never replied. As the book was sold on behalf of a charity, I didn't feel comfortable pushing it. Maybe i'll use it as reference material if I ever decide to learn German.) So finding this at a nice price was great!

And last but not least ( but strictly not from the comic con itself) that lovely Souther T-shirt you can see a bunch of us reprobates sporting above.

Thanks, and nice to see you guys again!

matty_ae

Good to see & chat to you guys.
A very hazy night and me and my twin cut out the first two hours of drinking watching Deadpool.
Great to chat to mr Burdis and Simon Belmont.
I do recall Kevin o'neil on his own at the bar whilst we loudly the discussed the derisory number of pages in the alan moore 'cinema' kick starter (4? 6?)
You're all a fine bunch. And I'll try to be more vocal on the boards!

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 21 February, 2016, 04:29:18 PM
What I find curious about these events, is I can spend a large portion of the day there ( in my case between around 11:00 and 17:30-45) and I'll see one Souther. (In this case I saw him twice, first in his civvies, and later in Judge mode.)

Then I go to the pub later (boy, wasn't that noisy!) and there everyone is.

In our case it's because (for the second year running) we only went to the pub :-)
Quote( You can see one of our contingent attempting to crown his lady love with the Judge Punnisher helmet, above.)
That'll be Rachael and myself.

QuoteA previous 2000ad comic con T Shirt. (The one with the large Judge Mek on the front.)
Not familiar with that one...

COMMANDO FORCES

That T-Shirt was the UK Con shirt, which was an excellent price of £5 on the day.

Gotta say the whole weekend was a great laugh and very enjoyable from start to finish (apart from one minor niggle, which will not be mentioned here but only to people's faces over a drink or two, as it was hilarious watching it happen to someone on Sunday, when the same thing happened to me on Saturday).

Anyway, I managed to do most of the things I wanted over the weekend and I think adding our gathering to the Saturday evening is the way forward for the first one of the year.

I managed to have a few good chats with many creators, lots of stuff was signed, one sketch (non Dredd) was obtained, had some wonderful chats with Keith about wonderful things (I can confirm that he had nothing to do with the Disco Dredd) got myself on the News and spent a very agreeable Saturday evening with a wonderful bunch of friends.

I think the drinking started with me and Steve Green walking over to the Fox at about 17:00 and it all ended in the Loft about 02:00. Everyone turned up and the drinks flowed very smoothly. There were loads of cosplay drinkers in their attire in the place, which always brightens the evening up and we had two Judges come across to our tables and enjoy themselves. Weirdly I lost my voice for about 10 minutes, which was funny!

I'll post some pics up once I've sorted them out (most are signed items, I think) oh and Brian Bolland loved my convention shirt.

Proudhuff

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 21 February, 2016, 08:39:52 AM

The men (and women) in black.
Wearing new shirts to distinguish ourselves from our friends in the north.

Don't for a minute think the Jocks could be this organised...and there aren't enough Norts at their meetups...
DDT did a job on me

SuperSurfer

I was at LSCC on Saturday. I usually feel drawn to these conventions, even though there aren't many non-2000AD comics at all that interest me these days (I need some recommendations). Always good to catch up with the Southers of course which turns out to be a good laugh. 

Have to say the event seemed to be lacking a buzz this year and didn't seem that rammed. Might be my imagination but that's how it felt. I probably spent more time outside the hall catching up with an old work colleague over coffee than in the convention. Maybe I should've headed to some of the talks.

I didn't buy that much stuff. Cinema Purgatorio which was pricey at £25. A well-known comics journo advised me to buy two and put one on eBay. I just went for one which I had signed by Kevin O'Neill. Was good to have a chat with him. Also bought a Dredd Case Files and the latest Meg to contribute to the 2000AD cause.

I'm not usually one for getting convention sketches or buying original art. But I did get two gems. Apologies for my convention manners: "where's my commission?!" and "Draw Bananaman!".

A rather fine piece by Mr Campbell. As he pointed out, due to the absence of beer and beermats it had to be on an A4 piece of paper. Would make a great T-shirt print. 

A brilliant Bananaman, drawn on the back of a torn up scrap of receipt by Souther Beano droid Andy. As you will see below, that receipt doubles up as a Dredd helmet.

Neither gave me a certificate of guarantee but I can live with that.

Who needs a £5 Mick Zeck signature?

I met the Southers in the Fox on the set of the (admittedly low budget) Dredd sequel.

Souther Simon.

Judge Dunk.

Judge Castle.

We could barely hear a word of our ramblings at the ear-burstingly loud Fox so thankfully we retreated to a hotel bar which was definitely a good move and made the evening a good laugh. Was good to meet the clone twins and have a natter with them. Too much alcohol. Left at 1.15am and a cab ride and three buses later I got home 3.30am, shattered. Eggs thrown at the night bus stop thankfully missed me. Not quite a Hell Trek,but a trek nonetheless. Was wiped out on Sunday. Hope to make next gathering at Free Comic Book Day though that might clash with a rare holiday.

Oh, someone was punching air when he was texted evidence of this Channel 4 news item:
"What do the generation who have never voted on Europe think?"
http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/display/playlistref/200216
30 secs and 01.15.

Eamonn Clarke

I'm not sure about the panels at LSCC. I went to one on Sunday and the sound quality was terrible and I left half way through when it was clear they weren't going to be able to sort it out.

I think that the Kirby panel we went to last year was probably one of the best they've done in the five years. Although obviously the Stan Lee interview in the first year was quite an event.

The excel centre is just too noisy to have sectioned off panel rooms in the main hall. It's the only downside to an otherwise splendid event, apart from the other minor niggle that Commando forces is referring to which I think I was the second victim of.  :lol:

COMMANDO FORCES

SuperSurfer

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 22 February, 2016, 05:55:22 PM
I'm not sure about the panels at LSCC. I went to one on Sunday and the sound quality was terrible and I left half way through when it was clear they weren't going to be able to sort it out.

I think that the Kirby panel we went to last year was probably one of the best they've done in the five years. Although obviously the Stan Lee interview in the first year was quite an event.

The excel centre is just too noisy to have sectioned off panel rooms in the main hall. It's the only downside to an otherwise splendid event, apart from the other minor niggle that Commando forces is referring to which I think I was the second victim of.  :lol:
I was slightly curious about one of the panels. I stuck my head in one and I thought: there isn't going to be much chance of following the discussion amongst all the noise and that influenced my decision not to bother.

Yes, previous talks were excellent – the Jonathon Ross Kirby panel and the Stan Lee one. Incidentally, it is with sadness I read today about Stan Lee's deteriorating eye sight. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/stan-lee-spider-man-creator-says-failing-eyesight-means-he-can-no-longer-read-comics-a6806761.html