Main Menu

I can't believe the shop where I buy my Prog has closed down.

Started by Magnetica, 17 February, 2016, 08:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Normally on a Weds I would be adding my two penneth to the Prog thread. But not this week as I discovered the shop where I normally buy my Progs to read on the tube on the way into work, has closed for good. It is WHSmith in Ealing Broadway station. Now the whole station is being given make over for Cross Rail but who knows if there will be a Smith's in it in future and whether they will stock the Prog and the Meg, as it seems to me they don't all.

This seems to be part of a trend. There used to be a number of shops where I could buy it, but they have either stopping selling it or closed down completely, both near home and near work. Indeed the only place any where near either that sells it now is WHSmiths in Waterloo, but that is twice as far a walk to my office as my normal stop. But on the plus side it always has loads of Progs and Megs and sells the Mega Collection.

Anyway bit sad as my weekly ritual for the last 25 years or so is now at an end (hopefully only temporarily).

I guess I could subscribe, but am a bit put off by the stories you see on here sometimes about mangled Progs and I am fairly fussy when it comes to the condition of my Prog.

Ghost MacRoth

I've never had any issues with subscription, and I'd heartily recommend it.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Tjm86

I have to be honest in the (bugger, lost count!) years that I have been subscribing I have never had a mangled prog.  Of course now I've just probably given this the kiss of death and from here on in they will arrive looking like they've seen the business end of an industrial shredder! :-\

IndigoPrime

I've had a few mangled Progs and a couple of ones that have had major printing errors (such as stuck pages). Never once have I had a problem in getting a replacement, because Denise at the mothership is first-rate when it comes to customer service. Also, for what it's worth, 2000 AD tends to show up in better condition than the issues I see knocking about at my local WHSmith.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I endorse all these comments. I've never had a damaged prog, and indeed it is in the interests of Rebellion to be sure the prog is well packaged. I have missed a prog due to me being lax in renewing, and Denise was very helpful.
Lock up your spoons!

Mattofthespurs

I've had one damaged Prog in 10 years of subbing and that was replaced very quickly.
I only have good things to say about subbing too.

judgerussell

I get quite a few damaged progs, but only because my postie is an ass.

CalHab

Never received a damaged prog. I have on occasion received other people's progs stuck to the back of mine, and these are dutifully reposted.

Geoff

That is a bit sad, you never know though...there might be a Smiths in the new station and they may even stock the prog... 

I used to get my prog (years ago) tucked inside the family newspaper from the local newsies like many others did I suppose. It was sad when the place changed hands and no longer did deliveries.  As ever, the times, they are a changing Magnetica!

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 February, 2016, 08:02:20 PM
Normally on a Weds I would be adding my two penneth to the Prog thread. But not this week as I discovered the shop where I normally buy my Progs to read on the tube on the way into work, has closed for good. It is WHSmith in Ealing Broadway station. Now the whole station is being given make over for Cross Rail but who knows if there will be a Smith's in it in future and whether they will stock the Prog and the Meg, as it seems to me they don't all.

Err you know there's a WH Smith on the main road, right?

They stocked 2000AD and the Megazine pretty regularly a year or so ago when I used to work there. You probably do know, you're probably the git who bought the last copy before me every now and again...

Magnetica

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 February, 2016, 11:45:36 PM
Err you know there's a WH Smith on the main road, right?

After I made my post I thought " I bet someone is going to point out there is a Smith's on The Broadway".
The thing is it only opens after I have got on the tube to go to work and closes again before I get back, so it is pretty much a non-starter as far as buying my Progs there is concerned.

I think I am going to subscribe, but one question on that - how wide is the packaging?

IndigoPrime

It's basically a plastic sleeve, so it's barely bigger than the Prog.

ZenArcade

Sorry to hear that Magnetica, nothing beats walking into a shop on a wed (or Monday for time travelling squax) and lifting a pristine copy of the prog.Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Magnetica

I'm with you on that Zen - reading the Prog on Weds really makes something out of mid week.

But given that is no longer possible I have just taken out a combi Prog and Meg subscription - so thanks for the advice guys. I had to head off the "why don't you go digital?" question from my wife though.

Doing this takes me back to childhood when I used to get the Prog delivered with the paper on Saturday mornings. I would always be the first up, rush downstairs, retrieve the Prog and go back to bed to read it (and then get up only in time for Football Focus).

Those were the days...

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 February, 2016, 12:21:04 PM
I'm with you on that Zen - reading the Prog on Weds really makes something out of mid week.

You could always just sub and then read it on Wednesdays....Just saying.