Main Menu

Comics you are excited about in 2017

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 April, 2016, 06:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 April, 2017, 11:12:34 AM
Guys. Guys. John Burns is drawing The Spirit.

Oh my, oh my, OH MY... there goes my four colour goo again!

Can't wait for this... whatever it is!

positronic

Wait. What does Sean Phillips have to do with this? Is he traffic-managing English artists for Dynamite somehow? The way things are going, we may see that John Burns story in print before we see the end of Francisco Francavilla's current Spirit series.

And speaking of which, a Sean Phillips Spirit story doesn't sound like a bad idea, either. Realistically, the only chance I could ever see of that actually happening is if Ed Brubaker really badly wanted to write a Spirit story, or otherwise how could they justify not spending the same time on their creator-owned series like Kill or Be Killed?

Hawkmumbler

I believe Phillips was privy to this story before hand, and is now presumably completed to some degree, and acquired this piece from Burns for his collection. The dude love him some painted comic art.

Link Prime

2017 is turning out to be a funny year for me. I'm reading far, far less than before, but enjoying pretty much everything that I do read.
Being Marvel free for the past 18 months has obviously helped.
After a few years trial & error, the old pull list has been pared back to the core essentials, with 10% wiggle room for impulse purchases / recommendations.

Only two forthcoming series I can think of that I'm eager to pick up- Volume 2 of Wytches by Snyder & Jock, and Bane: Conquest by the original creative team of Dixon & Nolan.
(Which is due to hit next week actually; http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/02/15/announcing-bane-conquest-by-dixon-and-nolan).

positronic

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 April, 2017, 03:53:28 PMOnly two forthcoming series I can think of that I'm eager to pick up- Volume 2 of Wytches by Snyder & Jock, and Bane: Conquest by the original creative team of Dixon & Nolan.
(Which is due to hit next week actually; http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/02/15/announcing-bane-conquest-by-dixon-and-nolan).

I sort of wonder what's left to be said about Bane at this point, or whether we're supposed to assume most (or some) of the pre-New 52 stories don't apply, or do, which would imply some sort of characterization arc. A typical example of what I find frustrating about DCU Batman stories since 2011.

CalHab

I saw a few people commenting on Twitter that a John Burns retrospective would be great. So little of his work has been reprinted that it's got to be of interest to a publisher (Rebellion?).

positronic

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 April, 2017, 02:06:57 PM
I believe Phillips was privy to this story before hand, and is now presumably completed to some degree, and acquired this piece from Burns for his collection. The dude love him some painted comic art.

He's already acquiring the original artwork, and the series hasn't even been announced (presumably by Dynamite) yet?

There was a full-page DE ad in the back of this week's Batman/The Shadow #1... just the silhouette of the Shadow, with the gun in a gloved, girasol-ringed hand, pointing straight at the viewer. Typography reads simply THE SHADOW and at the bottom of the page SUMMER 2017. Artwork isn't signed, but unless I miss my guess it's Francisco Francavilla.

I would assume John Burns isn't involved in The Spirit/Green Hornet crossover miniseries that DE already announced, so... ??

Hawkmumbler

I now truly believe anything is possible. Go Nagai's Devilman Is coming from Seven Sea's next year (too early for a 2018 thread?).

I am aghast, for none fans the chances of any Nagai coming to the west was less likely than Moebius or Pratt for the longest time, now we live in an age where all three masters works can be enjoyed at last. Utterly, dizzyingly excited for this, Devilman is a seminal classic all comic readers should get into.

positronic

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 May, 2017, 01:32:43 PM
I now truly believe anything is possible. Go Nagai's Devilman Is coming from Seven Sea's next year (too early for a 2018 thread?).

I am aghast, for none fans the chances of any Nagai coming to the west was less likely than Moebius or Pratt for the longest time, now we live in an age where all three masters works can be enjoyed at last. Utterly, dizzyingly excited for this, Devilman is a seminal classic all comic readers should get into.

But is it the original Devilman from the 1970s, or one of the later versions? Glen Danzig of Verotik published three (floppy comic book) issues of Devilman in the 1990s, but it was the later version from the late 1980s...

QuoteSeven Seas will release Devilman in two hardcover omnibus volumes under the title Devilman: The Classic Collection. The first volume is slated for March 6, 2018.

I hope it's as good quality as DMP's release of Jiro Kuwata's Mach Go-Go-Go manga.

Right around the same time Kirby was doing The Demon and Marvel was pubishing Son of Satan. Must have been the devil that made them do it.

positronic

I'd love to see the original Cutie Honey, too. Getting classic-era (pretty much anything pre-1980s) manga is like pulling teeth, but I guess if they can reprint Bat-Manga, anything's possible. Now if we could get some Leiji Matsumoto and some Shotaro Ishinomori while we're at it. And more Tezuka, too.

Colin YNWA

Spurrioso's latest is looking good.

QuoteAngelic's about teenage flying monkeys having adventures in the far future...

Yep I'll be getting that then. More here

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/17/si-spurrier-and-caspar-wijngaard-create-the-new-genre-of-teen-monkey-angel-fiction-with-angelic-from-image-comics-in-september/

Ancient Otter

Satania by Fabian Vehlmann and Kerascoet. Loved Beautiful Darkness so really looking forward to this.

Mabs

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 02 July, 2017, 04:15:41 PM
Satania by Fabian Vehlmann and Kerascoet. Loved Beautiful Darkness so really looking forward to this.

Same here! Beautiful Darkness was absolutely brilliant.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

As well as the above, I'm looking forward to Grandville Force Majeure. Noel was a really enjoyable read and I'm pretty certain Talbot's new book will be just as good.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

You lot are letting me down. Have to find out for myself that new Beanworld has just come out!

Can't wait to get my mits on this!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beanworld-4-Various-ebook/dp/B01MYAE9JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499632358&sr=8-1&keywords=beanworld