Main Menu

2000AD RPGs

Started by sheridan, 11 April, 2016, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

As a potential RPG thread could threaten the general boardgame thread - here's a list of what got released to start the dice rolling...
Games Workshop
  • [/size]Judge Dredd the Role-Playing Game (box set / rulebook depending on edition, based on WFRP)
  • [/size]The Judge Dredd Companion (supplement)
  • [/size]Judgement Day (scenario)
  • [/size]Citi-Block (JD/W40k supplement)
  • [/size]Slaughter-Margin (scenario)
[/size]Mongoose - D20, Dredd

• [/size]Judge Dredd Roleplaying Game (rulebook, based on D20)
  • [/size][/color]The Rookie's Guide to the Justice Department (sourcebook)
  • [/size][/color]Full Eagle Day (scenario)
  • [/size][/color]Mega-City One's Most Wanted (sourcebook)
  • [/size][/color]The Rookie's Guide to Block Wars (sourcebook)
  • [/size][/color]The Rookie's Guide to Psi-Talent (sourcebook)
  • [/size][/color]The Kazan Trilogy: The Sleeping Kin (scenario)
  • [/size][/color]The Kazan Trilogy: Russian Roulette (scenario)
  • [/size][/color]The Kazan Trilogy: Target: Mega-City One (scenario)
  • [/size][/color]The Rookie's Guide to Criminal Organisations (sourcebook)
  • [/size][/color]The Rookie's Guide to Brit Cit (sourcebook)
  • [/size][/color]The Rookie's Guide to Crazes (sourcebook)
  • [/size][/color]The Rookie's Guide to the Undercity (sourcebook)
[/color][/size]Mongoose - D20, [/size]Sláine
  • [/size]Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes for d20 (rulebook)
  • [/size]Tir Nan Og (sourcebook)
  • [/size]Horned Lord and Moon Sow: The Invulnerable King (scenario)
  • [/size]Horned Lord and Moon Sow: The Teeth of the Moon Sow (scenario)
  • [/size]Horned Lord and Moon Sow: The Ragnarok Book (scenario)
  • [/size]Horned Lord and Moon Sow: Way of the Horned God (scenario)
  • [/size]The Sessair (sourcebook)
  • [/size]The Fir Domain (sourcebook)
  • [/size]The Falians (sourcebook)
  • [/size]The Finians (sourcebook)
  • [/size]Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes for MRQ (rulebook)

[/size]Mongoose - Traveller[/font]

• [/color][/size]Judge Dredd (2009, based/dependent upon Traveller)
  • [/color][/size]Democracy Falls (scenario)
  • [/color][/size]Bad Moon Rising (scenario)
  • [/color][/size]Traveller Book 9: Robot (supplement designed for Traveller and JD?)
  • [/color][/size]Strontium Dog (rulebook)

sheridan

Let's try that without any formatting to mess things up...

As a potential RPG thread could threaten the general boardgame thread - here's a list of what got released to start the dice rolling...

Games Workshop
Judge Dredd the Role-Playing Game (box set / rulebook depending on edition, based on WFRP)
The Judge Dredd Companion (supplement)
Judgement Day (scenario)
Citi-Block (JD/W40k supplement)
Slaughter-Margin (scenario)

Mongoose - D20, Dredd
Judge Dredd Roleplaying Game (rulebook, based on D20)
The Rookie's Guide to the Justice Department (sourcebook)
Full Eagle Day (scenario)
Mega-City One's Most Wanted (sourcebook)
The Rookie's Guide to Block Wars (sourcebook)
The Rookie's Guide to Psi-Talent (sourcebook)
The Kazan Trilogy: The Sleeping Kin (scenario)
The Kazan Trilogy: Russian Roulette (scenario)
The Kazan Trilogy: Target: Mega-City One (scenario)
The Rookie's Guide to Criminal Organisations (sourcebook)
The Rookie's Guide to Brit Cit (sourcebook)
The Rookie's Guide to Crazes (sourcebook)
The Rookie's Guide to the Undercity (sourcebook)

Mongoose - D20, Sláine
Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes for d20 (rulebook)
Tir Nan Og (sourcebook)
Horned Lord and Moon Sow: The Invulnerable King (scenario)
Horned Lord and Moon Sow: The Teeth of the Moon Sow (scenario)
Horned Lord and Moon Sow: The Ragnarok Book (scenario)
Horned Lord and Moon Sow: Way of the Horned God (scenario)
The Sessair (sourcebook)
The Fir Domain (sourcebook)
The Falians (sourcebook)
The Finians (sourcebook)
Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes for MRQ (rulebook)

Mongoose - Traveller
Judge Dredd (2009, based/dependent upon Traveller)
Democracy Falls (scenario)
Bad Moon Rising (scenario)
Traveller Book 9: Robot (supplement designed for Traveller and JD?)
Strontium Dog (rulebook)

Theblazeuk

Hmm... Mega City 1 in D&D 5E.

It's doable.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: sheridan on 11 April, 2016, 06:20:00 PM
Let's try that without any formatting to mess things up...

Mongoose - D20, Sláine
Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes for d20 (rulebook)
Tir Nan Og (sourcebook)
Horned Lord and Moon Sow: The Invulnerable King (scenario)
Horned Lord and Moon Sow: The Teeth of the Moon Sow (scenario)
Horned Lord and Moon Sow: The Ragnarok Book (scenario)
Horned Lord and Moon Sow: Way of the Horned God (scenario)
The Sessair (sourcebook)
The Fir Domain (sourcebook)
The Falians (sourcebook)
The Finians (sourcebook)
Sláine: The Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes for MRQ (rulebook)

If only you knew how hard it was for me to source the Finans source book through the military book store from the nearest city roughly tens years ago now. I had started buying them whilst I was living in caravan park in Sydney. I had brought one of the new Horned God novels that were also just rereleased back then as well. The ones that were printed in two book format. I'm not sure which one, but one of them got soaked after buying that one from either Comic Book Kings or Kings Comics in their CBD. That place new the resturaunt with the three monkeys sculpture on the street corner. I brought core rule book with only eighty bucks spending money left over for food after paying my caravan allowance. At the time I thought I might have waited until I was earning more money, but was very excited to get his book.....

I then began to buy the other remaining books (Before I vacated the caravan park at the eve of News Years day.) in the subsequent fortnights. There were a few more books I still had to get before I stopped buying them all together for the time being. These were all being purchased from Games Paradise on Pitt street. I had to return home up here almost three years later when I tried to resume purchasing the rest of those.

This military bookstore whom I won't name, did comply for a few more of those books, but not the Finans which they stated was out of print & I even asked Mongoose Publishing themselves via their forums. They said the same thing, but I was able to source a copy of the book through Ebay once I had got my debit card set up. It was such a bitch trying to purchase anything online without one. The book was still in it's plastic wrapping like a lot of them were. They were still brand new, not second hand!!!!

I was annoyed by their attempts to stop me from buying this book and made a lot of noise about it here on  the MP website. That Military boost store is now no longer there, but they have another store in Sydney Their staff definitely don't like me, but I'm not really sure why they disappeared otherwise.

The books themselves are just souvenirs to me . I don't think I will ever be playing that game anytime soon. Not any RPG actually, unless it's online MMO, or just a forum game.  Although, the author who isn't Pat Mills had some very interesting theories about Slaine & his world based on what he research and had got from the comics. Back then, I didn't have access to Slaine in his entirety so far & was at a lost for much of it too. I find book knowledge very satisfying enough, but always had a issue with Slaine being from race of Warped-Ones rather than just being human man who possessed a gift from the Earth-Goddess.

Mongoose Publishing then dropped the D20 game when there were plans to write more sourve books concerning the Fortress of Dinas Emyrs, Drunelords, Cythrawl, El-Worlds & everything you wanted to know about Pluke!!!!

Yet they were cancelled. I think whomever was doing this ran out of licence to write about it. Such a shame, as I was otherwise enjoying they're take on it.

Then the Slaine - RuneQuest which used all the Clint Lanely art work in black n white variety. If you weren't lucky enough to win the limited edition book using photo real colours. I might try to source that one. That book was the only one they did for that game that was also dropped.

Then they were going to write a Legends version & brought the core rules for that. They were pocket version. Not sure I like this, and told them that they might like to see if they could get rope the Paladium rules guy into doing this along with Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog (Which had also been as RPGS based on the rules for Traveller!) and then there were plans for Rogue Trooper & Nemesis the Warlock......

Emp

There's also a variant Slaine RPG, again Mongoose Publishing, but usuing the Runequest system.

sheridan

Quote from: Emp on 01 May, 2016, 07:02:31 PM
There's also a variant Slaine RPG, again Mongoose Publishing, but usuing the Runequest system.
I dimly remembered something about that - a little research suggests that it's largely the same as the D20 version, but with a few bits changed and then repackaged (in low quality B&W, according to the review I read).

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: sheridan on 02 May, 2016, 12:50:36 AM
Quote from: Emp on 01 May, 2016, 07:02:31 PM
I dimly remembered something about that - a little research suggests that it's largely the same as the D20 version, but with a few bits changed and then repackaged (in low quality B&W, according to the review I read).

I believe without checking the book itself, that it compiles every book  from the D20 version, minus all the meta-plot stuff....maybe .

sheridan

...and now there's going to be a new role playing game, based on What's OLD is New.

p.s. if an admin sees this, could you get rid of the initial post in this thread, with the formatting that went haywire?  Ta!

Third Estate Ned

I was invited to a role playing game night by a friend this week, something I've no experience of whatsoever and had no idea what to expect other than a creeping embarrassment and sense of shame. Yet, once I'd overcome that I absolutely loved it and wish I'd been into it before, when I had bags of time. I can't wait to try more.

It'd be great to introduce these people to Dreddworld or Strontium Dog but the core rules aren't so cheap, so I'd probably just choose one. Could any of you experienced RPGers kindly help me out on something? The game system we used was GURPs for a Call of Cthulu scenario and it seemed straightforward enough after a bit of practice. The rules I've seen for Dredd are both D20 and Traveller, with SD being the latter. Of the two systems which is closest the the GURPs system and accessible for total know-nothings like myself?

I know a new system is coming out but I'm looking at what's on eBay now to get into it ASAP.

sheridan

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 06 September, 2017, 07:25:37 PM
I was invited to a role playing game night by a friend this week, something I've no experience of whatsoever and had no idea what to expect other than a creeping embarrassment and sense of shame. Yet, once I'd overcome that I absolutely loved it and wish I'd been into it before, when I had bags of time. I can't wait to try more.

It'd be great to introduce these people to Dreddworld or Strontium Dog but the core rules aren't so cheap, so I'd probably just choose one. Could any of you experienced RPGers kindly help me out on something? The game system we used was GURPs for a Call of Cthulu scenario and it seemed straightforward enough after a bit of practice. The rules I've seen for Dredd are both D20 and Traveller, with SD being the latter. Of the two systems which is closest the the GURPs system and accessible for total know-nothings like myself?

I know a new system is coming out but I'm looking at what's on eBay now to get into it ASAP.

Last time I played Traveller was in the 1980s, and I only played it once so I don't know much about that.  In some ways (basic stats) GURPS is a little like D&D/D20.  I will note one thing - why the core books for D20 and D&D 5th edition are about forty pounds each (and you might need the Dungeon Masters Guide as well as the Players Handbook), you can get some even more basic rules for free (totally legally).  Look for D20 SRD or 5th edition SRD, SRD standing for Systems Reference Document.  Third party games developers are free to use the SRD to create their own games based on D&D, as long as the licence notice is included.  Anyway, Wizards of the Coast / Hasbro have made the SRDs for both systems available in downloadable PDFs, so have a look and judge for yourself before hitting eBay.

Third Estate Ned

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer. So does that mean if I bought Mongoose's Judge Dredd the Roleplaying Game (the one with Dredd towering over the skyline at dusk), which is based on the D20 system, I would also need an additional set of core rules like the ones you suggested (D20 SRD)?

Likewise for Traveller?

This is a whole new world you're opening up for me here, so cheers.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 07 September, 2017, 11:58:40 AM
Thanks for such a comprehensive answer. So does that mean if I bought Mongoose's Judge Dredd the Roleplaying Game (the one with Dredd towering over the skyline at dusk), which is based on the D20 system, I would also need an additional set of core rules like the ones you suggested (D20 SRD)?

Likewise for Traveller?

This is a whole new world you're opening up for me here, so cheers.

Yes and yes - the D20 system requires the Dungeons and Dragons v3.0 Player's Handbook and the Traveller system needs the Traveller Player's Manual.

The Games Workshop system is probably the most like GURPS and is entirely self contained, so you only need the one book if you track down a copy of the hardback edition on eBay or somewhere.  Admittedly, the background material would be 32 years out of date now...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 07 September, 2017, 12:33:40 PM
Yes and yes - the D20 system requires the Dungeons and Dragons v3.0 Player's Handbook and the Traveller system needs the Traveller Player's Manual.

D20 system is under the Open Gaming License, so the rules are all here: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

sheridan

Quote from: Pyroxian on 07 September, 2017, 12:37:55 PM
Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 07 September, 2017, 12:33:40 PM
D20 system is under the Open Gaming License, so the rules are all here: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

And here's the  5th edition SRD (on the wizards site)
And a wiki based on the SRD

Theblazeuk

I would dip your toes into running an RPG in its base setting before tackling the complexities of conversion :) That said Slaine springs to mind as something you could immediately do. Or Kingdom.

As someone converted to RPGs in the last two years, welcome to the fold!

My tips on systems I have played and 2000AD properties you could easily adapt them to:

-RED Markets RPG= a Zombie horror game that is really mostly about making money, covering your cost of living and trying to save up for retirement. The zombies just provide a kind of background and persistent threat - you could entirely remove them from the game in honesty. Uses a great system that encourages Risk/Reward and has a lot of potential for disaster. Would suit: Deadworld, Strontium Dogs, Gaming in the Cursed Earth
-Call of Cthulu = The classic HP lovecraft horror game. Investigate RPG where finding the answers to your questions will challenge sanity, and physical traits rapidly become quite meaningless as dread elder beings rend your mind and body. Fun. Would Suit: Ampney Crusis (duh)
-Delta Green = Spin off of the above, this is a modern day interpretation where you generally play law enforcement or military agents who have been inducted into a conspiracy dedicated to fighting the unnatural. The conspiracy is more along the lines of a cult than a powerful MiB style organisation though, at best simply helping you skip your day job so you can hunt shoggoths in the Florida swamps. Slightly more shooty, would suit Caballistics or maybe even Brink.
-Only War = the WH40k RPG which sees you play grunts in the Imperial Guard. Change things up and lo, you are a squad of grunts in Bad Company or The VCs. Play encourages character losses and replacements from the ranks. Find it more complex than the other ones mentioned here but has fun.