Main Menu

MEG 374—Black Metal Apocalypse

Started by Banners, 16 July, 2016, 08:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: A.Cow on 19 July, 2016, 12:26:55 PMThis gives more credence to my theory that Texas City's anti-mutant sentiment [spoiler]extends to Psis too[/spoiler].
I thought that was implicit in one of the responses from Oswin.

Ghost MacRoth

Yet they cloned one from their own Psi's to make Thorn.... ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Leigh S

Quote from: A.Cow on 19 July, 2016, 12:26:55 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 July, 2016, 07:38:37 PM
I too was confused as to [spoiler]how Hershey gets to install a MC judge as CJ of Texas[/spoiler].

I read it that Hershey is not devoid of strategic thinking (hints dropped in the text) and is [spoiler]essentially planning her own -- more subtle -- coup[/spoiler] to avoid this happening again.

The [spoiler]hidden Psi[/spoiler] side of things would obviously give an advantage in manipulating things, but it's logical to presume that [spoiler]another Psi would spot her a mile off[/spoiler].  This gives more credence to my theory that Texas City's anti-mutant sentiment [spoiler]extends to Psis too[/spoiler].

I got that, but can;t see how she would ahve any power to install anyone anywhere? Presumably, Texas City is still better functioning than MC1, with a less depleted Justice Dept?  I can;t see how they could fly in a rebranded MC1 Judge without Civil and Judicial unrest - unless she is going to get a face change and goin as Oswn!

Richard

I had assumed that how Lewis becomes chief judge was just implied, but now I think MC is setting up another story.

A.Cow

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 July, 2016, 07:57:41 PM
Quote from: A.Cow on 19 July, 2016, 12:26:55 PMThis gives more credence to my theory that Texas City's anti-mutant sentiment [spoiler]extends to Psis too[/spoiler].
I thought that was implicit in one of the responses from Oswin.

Uh.  Just re-read this Meg's story and it's stated that the thing controlling Thorn is a clone of a Texas City Psi judge.  Grrr.

Verence

Presumably Dredd himself will be travelling down to Texas City in the near future particularly if some elements of of that city's Justice Department kick up a fuss about having a MC-1 Judge as their new CJ

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: A.Cow on 19 July, 2016, 10:49:49 PM
Uh.  Just re-read this Meg's story and it's stated that the thing controlling Thorn is a clone of a Texas City Psi judge.  Grrr.

Nothing in the story suggested that Texas didn't have/use Psi judges, only that they considered them genetically inferior to reg'lar white non-mutant folks.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

A.Cow

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 July, 2016, 06:48:16 PM
Nothing in the story suggested that Texas didn't have/use Psi judges, only that they considered them genetically inferior to reg'lar white non-mutant folks.

Fair point, well made.

The Sherman Kid

From 'Whichever way you look at it. Mega City One is dying' -Hershsey

To ' Lewis......I intend to install you as  chief judge of Texas City............we're equals now'

:o :o :o

Done deal

Did they go into TC and take over? You could read it that way. If so how when they were so weak. If not why would they possibly accept another city choosing their new Chief judge.

A good series but a clear as mud ending.

PS Where did Anderson disappear to in all this -simply said basically she was busy elsewhere.

Proudhuff

I read it as TC council have more or less admitted their part in the whole takeover so accepted Lewis as the cost of 'kidding on' they knew nothing about the coup. It doesn't say that anywhere but that's what I read between the lines. That kind of political buy off we're seeing a lot of elsewhere just now.

DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Yeah I kinda took it as the agreed cost of keeping their house in order after this was allowed to happen. After all they've seen what happens to however many other plans and actions against Mega City One and Dredd. I'm guessing Hershey has sold it to them by underplaying Lewis and installing her as a puppet boss to keep an eye on the Council in Texas City.

All that said and as much as I've LOVED this epic I do find it a bit weird that Hershey has remained in power. Others have quit for A LOT less, though in this case I'm guessing the city has actually come out on top and in better shape in terms of resources and political power. This seems to be dispite Hershey's decisions rather than because of them?

Anyway to the Meg as a whole and three quarters of the strips are quite wonderful. Just a shame the one quarter that I'm skipping now is actually about two fifths. Ho hum Red Overused on the Dross is more than made up for elsewhere.

The Dredd is quite wonderful (issue as discussed aside) and adored the Dredd exchanges. Surely now Mike Carroll has done all he need to to prove he's Wagner in waiting? Blunt I continue to find ridiculously entertaining and the scene at the wreck was quite supreme.

Of course all this pales behind Lawless, but then almost all other comics do so that's no shame. Lawless is near perfect and I hope it all gets collected very very soon.

Its a shame the text features are a bit uninspiring this month but still 30(ish) pages of great comic just about carries the show and if anyone ever needed any proof that its a crying shame that Sinister Dexter deserves a new trade run surely the floppy this week is all the evidence you'd need... mind its also all the evidence you'd need that this ain't going to happen!

I, Cosh

Wow. I seem to be a little out of the step with the general opinion of the parish here as I thought the Dredd was woeful. It read like a mixture of Hershey fan fiction and hastily mixed plaster to trowel into some of the gaps in what's been going on over the last few months. I fully understand the distinction between a character's knowledge and the writer's but if Lewis's psi impression of Dredd is any reflection of Carroll's own (as the med judge's verdict clearly has an authorial/editorial angle) then I'm not hopeful.

Lawless, despite being a mid-season rounding up the posse episode, is a delight. In the continued absence of Devlin Waugh, this is the Meg's standout strip.

If I accept it for what it is, then Realm of the Damned has grown on me. Pye's art really is a wonderful thing. It's a shame we haven't seen it before and I hope we get to see him on something else in the near future.

Blunt is an excuse for Boo Cook to draw brightly coloured creatures eating people. It's not Zombo but it's inoffensive.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Meant to congratulate Steve Frame of Caithness. How many star letters is a short story worth in The Beast?
We never really die.

JPMaybe

Just a thought, but according to Missionary Man it's the Deputy Chief Judge who holds the real power in Texas City IIRC, with the Chief Judge being a figurehead; this obviously doesn't seem to have been the case with Oswin, but perhaps the understanding with TC is that Lewis will be such a figurehead, when in fact she'll be using her Psi talents to assume more direct control.  Seems weak, but IDK.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Link Prime

Quote from: Banners on 16 July, 2016, 08:48:18 PM

Even alongside Ezquerra's wonderful art and Annie P's superlative lettering, the new Meg boasts an absolutely stand-out and phenomenal Dredd script from the Carroll droid, both in terms of rounding off the saga and on its own merits. It is brilliantly structured, reverential of the strip's legacy, thoughtful and progressive all at the same time, and features cracking, engaging and delightful dialogue throughout.

We all love the explosions, action sequences and shoot-outs of course. But this episode shows Carroll at his best I think. More scripts along these lines, and as Med-Judge Gregory says, Carroll can surely write Dredd "for another few decades".

Bravo.

Well said Banners.

A brilliant finale this month to The Carroll Droid's mini epic, fittingly drawn by the venerable Carlos Ezquerra.

Was this another in a first pairing for Mike with a veteran Dredd artist?
The insightful Butch previously commented that working with MacNeil & Flint on Dredd were the equivalent of an orb and sceptre, and it now seems he has been handed Excalibur for the final chapter.

Kudos to all involved with this storyline- MacNeil, Flint, Holden, Ezquerra, the fine lettering & colouring Droid's, and the man himself, Mike Carroll.
The Thrills were at least equal to the number of guest stars / cameos.

<Disengage snivelling suck-butt mode>