Main Menu

MEG 374—Black Metal Apocalypse

Started by Banners, 16 July, 2016, 08:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echidna

Dredd: A nice, leisurely epilogue - possibly a bit too leisurely, but I loved Dredd's exchange with the medic and his (Carroll's) marvellously straightforward answer to the old question of Dredd's longevity.

I'm still enjoying Realm of the Damned and Blunt, but Lawless is clearly the best thing in the Meg.

The Monarch

I really wish sin/dex had a chunky casefiles style trade i really do

Fungus

A better Meg than expected, as it's often the prog's poor relation, I find.

Dredd epilogue tale was the highlight, and far surperior to the supposed epic (?) that has been running recently. That felt directionless and I just wanted it to end (Dredd's miraculous escape and powers of recovery. Again?-(). But this epilogue had more clout than the tale itself, domestic though it seemed.

ROTD and Dredd text tales, I don't read. I've tried, and being kind, they're not for me.

Lawless remains hugely entertaining, this will produce a fantastic black and white trade when Tharg gets round to it.

Blunt is more purpley art. Too busy for me.

The bundled floppy is normally a chore but this one held my interest. The main capers were involving with Davis' paintbrush on top form and the "filler" tales showed Abnett's strengths too. A worthy floppy this time, not unhappy to see another SinDex next month.

Hawkmumbler

Cover: Looovely Pye droid Vamp head, more on that in a moment!

Dredd: Answeres a few questions I had left over from the strip in the prog, very good stuff, I look forward to rereading it all! Hats off to the Car-Roll droid!

ROTD: Contrary to other opinions around these parts, i'm loving it! The revelation of Van Helsings doubt's was brilliantly handled. Really loving this, can't wait to nab the TPB (which I already out, I might add).

Blunt: This is turning out to be quite the delightful surprise. Another frontier strip, I was initially skeptical, but the story and art are both on point, and the ship sequence this issue was simply magnificent! The whole feel of the story reminds me, somewhat, of a late Pertwee era Doctor Who story.

Lawless: Superb, magnificent, graceful, brilliant. Lawless is all of these, and I chuffing love it to death!

esoteric ed

That final frame in Dredd is hysterical. :lol:

Ed

TordelBack

I've only read the first part of RotD and this one so far, but I really like it. Parr's art is great.

Lawless is as flawless as ever, Winslade is staggeringly good, and I haven't got to grips with Blunt or the typey bits yet.

The Dredd I'm torn by... it does serve as a good epilogue to a solid saga, and the bits with Joe and Gregory are priceless, but I wonder if it should have been half the length and more importantly in the Prog. That said, I bought the Meg specifically to read it, so no fool that Tharg...

Is it wrong that the unexpected  SinDex floppy was such a major treat for me? I'd spend a lot of dosh on Complete Fact:Totem Downloded.

All in all the Meg seems in fine fettle at present.

TordelBack

So what do we all make  of Lewis's reading of Dredd?

For starters, I've always imagined that Dredd was a tricky proposition for psis to read (triple-zero rated and all that), but that's really an assumption, so not really relevant.

But the idea that Dredd isn't a 'complex mess of distractions, hopes regrets and dreams', or that he 'accepts his flaws and just moves on'? I always thought Dredd was chock-full of doubt, guilt and regret, but did his duty anyway.  Certainly any time we get his internal monologue it seems to be agonising about something: Rico, Vienna, Fargo, De Marco, Beeny, old cases, the citizens... I prefer the idea that Joe is unwavering and resolute despite his internal turmoil, rather than because of its absence.

Also, while a nice scene, why does Hershey bring up Dredd at a? Is it because she's doing to Lewis exactky what Dredd has done to her?

TordelBack

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 29 July, 2016, 02:22:38 PM
So what do we all make  of Lewis's reading of Dredd?

For starters, I've always imagined that Dredd was a tricky proposition for psis to read (triple-zero rated and all that), but that's really an assumption, so not really relevant.

But the idea that Dredd isn't a 'complex mess of distractions, hopes regrets and dreams', or that he 'accepts his flaws and just moves on'? I always thought Dredd was chock-full of doubt, guilt and regret, but did his duty anyway.  Certainly any time we get his internal monologue it seems to be agonising about something: Rico, Vienna, Fargo, De Marco, Beeny, old cases, the citizens... I prefer the idea that Joe is unwavering and resolute despite his internal turmoil, rather than because of its absence.
I think (to reconcile our view of his internal monologue with what the psis say) we'd have to use the trip zero rating to declare that they're missing all the inner turmoil and just getting the surface thoughts.  Film Dredd, on the other hand - anger all the way :-)