Main Menu

Ouch - Post Bexit price hike.

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 July, 2016, 06:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well the tumbling pound post Bexit has hit the comics distribution monopoly of Diamond. My LMS has sent a message today detailing the pricr hike they are passing down.

A $2.99 comic will cost £2.65

A $3.99 comic will cost £3.45

Now I know Bexit will have far more important and damaging impact, but you know GULP!

IndigoPrime

It's going to hit everything, from leisure to necessities. Along with comics, we'll soon see electronics hike during their next cycles, and probably US-based services increasing prices (such as the App Store). But everything from food to fuel is on the rise, too.

Frank

Hmmm. I see Lloyds are framing branch closures and job cuts as a result of Brexit, despite rising profits and Theresa May showing as much eagerness to trigger Article 50 as turkeys display when putting up the Christmas decorations.

My Gran used to describe this kind of retail behaviour at the time of decimalisation, where stuff that cost the equivalent of £1 on the Tuesday before the change over suddenly cost £1 and 10 new pence on the Wednesday.

Brexit will have real, measurable consequences - many of them long term - but I'm not convinced this is one of them:  http://capitalism.org/category/monopolies/

dweezil2

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 July, 2016, 06:32:10 PM
Well the tumbling pound post Bexit has hit the comics distribution monopoly of Diamond. My LMS has sent a message today detailing the pricr hike they are passing down.

A $2.99 comic will cost £2.65

A $3.99 comic will cost £3.45

Now I know Bexit will have far more important and damaging impact, but you know GULP!

Pisser innit?  :sick:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IndigoPrime

Butch: banks are bastards—no argument there. Lloyds framing nasty branch cuts as the fault of Brexit is ridiculous. This kind of thing's been on the cards for ages. All the other stuff, though, is direct or indirect consequence of our country collectively leaping off a cliff without first checking what's below.

Hawkmumbler

Brexit, the collective self detonating bomb that keeps on giving.

Fucking 'ell.

maryanddavid

I noticed that 2000Ad and the Meg was cheaper over here in the newsies last week.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: maryanddavid on 28 July, 2016, 11:20:23 PM
I noticed that 2000Ad and the Meg was cheaper over here in the newsies last week.
I'm surprised prices rebalance so rapidly, or do items marked in Sterling simply rise and fall in Ireland at the whim of the exchanges?

TordelBack

The do indeed. UK magazine prices seem to change weekly in response to sterling exchange rates. Very much swings wnd roundabouts though.

CalHab

This was inevitable. I'm just a bit surprised it's taken them so long to react to the massive drop in the pound.

Of course the real kicker will be the effect on energy bills and food, not on luxuries, and what that does to the most vulnerable. I doubt Boris, Michael and Nigel will lose any sleep over that, though.

Tjm86

I've been using ACE for a while now and they sent out an email a few weeks ago with the news.  Used to use a certain controversial shop in Cardiff near the station but mail order is much safer.  It's spurred me to review what is currently on my pull list.  With Johnny Red and Dreaming Eagles both ending there isn't a great deal.  Darth Vader ending soon so other than Star Wars it's the guilty pleasures of the X-men titles and the MLP's for my eldest daughter.  I do wonder how much further damage this is likely to do to the comic market in this country.

IndigoPrime

It's going to hit the singles market. When two floppies approach the price of a trade on Wordery or Amazon, many will wait.