Main Menu

Prog 1995 - Shoot on Psight!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 20 August, 2016, 10:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 24 August, 2016, 08:19:47 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 24 August, 2016, 08:17:24 PM
Quote from: Butch on 24 August, 2016, 08:12:04 PM

Does everyone else find lady Maybe attractive? Good, glad it's not just me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2djHEIxPVs

Ah, ye can trust Greg.

I am scared to click that link. Someone else do it and then post what it is, please.

Trout

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 August, 2016, 08:25:15 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 24 August, 2016, 08:19:47 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 24 August, 2016, 08:17:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2djHEIxPVs

Ah, ye can trust Greg.

I am scared to click that link. Someone else do it and then post what it is, please.

It's the Wayne's World clip where they're discussing Bugs Bunny dressing as a girl.

drsmuts

Can't help thinking that it's going to be [spoiler]Hershey [/spoiler]who Maybe goes for....

Muon

The prog is looking damn fine these days.

Dredd is great fun. This story is yet another reminder of what a great character Maybe is. I'm torn between what would be better: keeping him around as a villain to pop up every so often or have him go out on a high. The irrational way he's acting in this story suggests the latter.

I'm really enjoying both story and art in Scarlet Traces. Just love it.

Outlier looks great but I'm still getting a bit confused about who's who. I guess the big muscly guy the pony-tailed woman knocked unconscious with one punch is Caul with a beard?

The Thriller reminded me a bit of old-school Future Schocks. I think I got it but I'll have another look. Some of the aliens reminded me of DR and Quinch.

This Anderson story is a revelation for me. I haven't enjoyed a Judge Anderson strip for a while but this is well-paced and the art is great. I love it when Mega-City looks all colourful and crowded. The politician lady is turning out to be an intriguing character. I'm not sure why Anderson is suddenly channeling Grace Jones in A View to a Kill, though.

Magnetica

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 August, 2016, 05:31:34 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 22 August, 2016, 11:15:04 PM
PJ is the greatest Dredd villain ever. I'll be gutted if he is caught.

He is indeed the best-ever villian, and that's exactly why I'm praying that he is killed off (if not in this story, then soon). Let him keep his credibility, like Orlok - rather than go the way of Death or Mean.

PJ is the greatest Dredd villain for me too. I though, hope he remains alive at the end of this. He is a much more flexible character than Death or Mean ever were. There are only so many times Mean can head butt people, only so many times Death can attempt to cleanse the city. But with PJ there are just so many possibilities and the fun is in what new disguise he will use, what new plots he will come up with etc and it gets Dredd to do some actual detective work rather than just having a fight.

I am far from bored with it and long may it continue.

Satanist

I am absolutely LOVING Dredd at the moment. One of the things I've always liked about PJ is that he's roughly the same age as myself and along with 2000AD we have both grown together though his bodycount far exceeds my own. If he is killed then I'll be sad to see him go and would much rather see him come to his senses and flee. Then again there's the dark voice so there may be a much more creative route for PJ's future?

Scarlet Traces is also cracking and the art is just sublime.

3RILL3R – Pretty much an extended FS with lovely art.

Outlier – Nope, sorry just not for me.

I'm actually quite enjoying an Anderson story, WTF!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 25 August, 2016, 09:45:34 AM
...and it gets Dredd to do some actual detective work rather than just having a fight.

God, yes. A PJ story always sees Dredd (and Wagner) at his best, as he's forced to do some actual police work - sifitng clues, following leads, trying to out-think his adversary. I'd love to see a bit more of this and a wee bit less of 'Dredd shoots it with a big gun.'
@jamesfeistdraws

Will Cooling

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 August, 2016, 04:44:42 PM
Thankfully the four (Dark Judges) are dead ... yes?

Since 1981, at the latest. I loved Maybe's similarly pedantic qualification to his declaration that Dredd would regret the day he was born. I note that [spoiler]Corrigan[/spoiler] looks similar to Maybe in his non-female guise ...

Last week's red and green Martian art was some of the most wonderful ever to grace the comic. D'Israeli keeps it functional this week, emphasising the strength of his storytelling on an action episode that reads like the bit in Helium where Hodge borrowed an enemy ship to escape from captivity.

According to page 5, Dredd's spa day at Carousel appears to have left a transparent hole in his arse, through which the background may be glimpsed. Hope he kept the receipt.

Carlos Ezquerra has always been very, very good at drawing women. Surprised no one has ever got him to do a Shanna/Vampira style sex comic in the states. I remember they refer to this in Judge Dredd - The Mega History; that Carlos would never get editors in trouble for violence but they were constantly having to cover up his women.

And btw it has to be said - this is stonking good artwork. Its the first time I've read Carlos stuff digitally...and the colours are just popping out. But more than there seems something about the design that has more verve that some of his recent stuff. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.
Formerly WIll@The Nexus

Frank

Quote from: Will Cooling on 25 August, 2016, 01:50:24 PM
Carlos Ezquerra has always been very, very good at drawing women

Without that do-rag, PJ Mightbe would be a dead ringer for Angelina diGriz. And yes, the art sees Carlos at his very best once more.

It'll be interesting to see whether the disembodied voice interacting with BJ Maybe is something new, or if we're finally being let in on what's been driving his actions all along.

The obvious reference point is Barry Kurten's divided self (615-618), but I wonder if that middle name and his parents' longing for a girl refer to [spoiler]an actual sibling[/spoiler], who's as [spoiler]dead[/spoiler] as the [spoiler]In Memorium[/spoiler] speech balloons suggest.

TordelBack

The internal 'voice' really adds another layer of intrigue to this great Dredd tale! With Strepsil's money still in the foreground, it's clear that Wagner hasn't forgotten PJ's tussle with the terrible threesome... personally I'd love for it, and Maybe's apparent recklessness, to be connected. 

So what is it that PJ knows will hurt Dredd?  Vienna seems a bit obvious, as the second Rico and Giants, Hershey and Beeny, all a bit The Fink, or heaven help us, Blood Trails.  I'm hoping it's more abstract, a symbolic attack on Justice Dept, Fargo, MC-1 or the Law itself.

I love PJ, and I'd hate to see him die, but at the same time, I want the best possible ending to this and his story!

Goaty

Goaty

TordelBack

Terrific stuff, Goaty! Anthony Williams rides again! Glad to hear you eventually got back to your missus, and that she was at least not too seriously ill.

Looking at PJs old face, it occurs that with the Dr Carousel treatment plan he could regrow his skin and musculature so that he could look like himself agwin, and even use a facechanger again.

maryanddavid

Proudhuff

Quote from: Satanist on 25 August, 2016, 10:52:05 AM
I am absolutely LOVING Dredd at the moment. One of the things I've always liked about PJ is that he's roughly the same age as myself and along with 2000AD we have both grown together though his bodycount far exceeds my own. If he is killed then I'll be sad to see him go and would much rather see him come to his senses and flee. Then again there's the dark voice so there may be a much more creative route for PJ's future?

Scarlet Traces is also cracking and the art is just sublime.

3RILL3R – Pretty much an extended FS with lovely art.

Outlier – Nope, sorry just not for me.

I'm actually quite enjoying an Anderson story, WTF!

In the absence of Ghost, This ^^^ says it all for me.
DDT did a job on me