Main Menu

Adi Shankar Bootleg Universe script competition

Started by GordonR, 23 August, 2016, 09:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Shankar can shove this up his mascara lined arse.

blackmocco

Quote from: Steve Green on 24 August, 2016, 09:11:18 AM
That seems spectacularly pointless - I can't see much appeal in writing something then handing it over to someone else.

I can only speak for myself, but it's more about the whole experience, having a bit of fun and getting to grips with the whole process.

Sorry for the double response to this, Steve- was just thinking about this on the drive in. It really sums up a breathtaking arrogance on Shankar's part here, a well-trodden cliche via Los Angeles and 'Hollywood'. Namely: "Yeah, go create it and write it, whatever, but really as the non-creative part of all this- I'M the important element here." Absolute fucking nonsense, innit?

That's not to disparage all producers. Some get it, some don't. I've worked on a lot of big studio stuff and smaller more low-key over the years and seen the difference between a good producer and a bad one. At the end of the day, and I'm sure you can agree with this for both good and bad, Steve, but creating something like this- on whatever scale it is- thrives better on a healthy collaboration rather than one side or the other completely taking charge. (There's very much an argument to be made that creatives need a non-creative producer to keep things on track but I suspect that's a discussion for a different thread...)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Dandontdare

you could mark your entry "second prize only please"

Proudhuff

You have been reading Damage Report haven't you?  :o

Does Hee-Haw translate into english?  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Steve Green

Quote from: blackmocco on 24 August, 2016, 04:26:09 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 24 August, 2016, 09:11:18 AM
That seems spectacularly pointless - I can't see much appeal in writing something then handing it over to someone else.

I can only speak for myself, but it's more about the whole experience, having a bit of fun and getting to grips with the whole process.

Sorry for the double response to this, Steve- was just thinking about this on the drive in. It really sums up a breathtaking arrogance on Shankar's part here, a well-trodden cliche via Los Angeles and 'Hollywood'. Namely: "Yeah, go create it and write it, whatever, but really as the non-creative part of all this- I'M the important element here." Absolute fucking nonsense, innit?

That's not to disparage all producers. Some get it, some don't. I've worked on a lot of big studio stuff and smaller more low-key over the years and seen the difference between a good producer and a bad one. At the end of the day, and I'm sure you can agree with this for both good and bad, Steve, but creating something like this- on whatever scale it is- thrives better on a healthy collaboration rather than one side or the other completely taking charge. (There's very much an argument to be made that creatives need a non-creative producer to keep things on track but I suspect that's a discussion for a different thread...)

I absolutely agree - I seem to recall Alex Garland making a good argument for the collaboration.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 August, 2016, 04:41:35 PM
Does Hee-Haw translate into english?  ;)
"We've got your money, off you fuck mate!"

Jim_Campbell

That's not to disparage all producers. Some get it, some don't.

I've always thought, fancifully perhaps, that the role of a good producer was equivalent to that of a good editor in comics: to encourage the creatives to do their best work, with a minimum of meddling beyond a little... steering to keep the creatives on the project's agreed course, and otherwise ensuring that the creative teams are as untroubled as possible by the day-to-day shit that's essential to getting the thing done, but which has nothing to do with the creative process.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

dweezil2

I've just pitched my Max Normal/Shaft crossover!

Wish me luck!!!!!!!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

blackmocco

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 August, 2016, 05:14:37 PM
That's not to disparage all producers. Some get it, some don't.

I've always thought, fancifully perhaps, that the role of a good producer was equivalent to that of a good editor in comics: to encourage the creatives to do their best work, with a minimum of meddling beyond a little... steering to keep the creatives on the project's agreed course, and otherwise ensuring that the creative teams are as untroubled as possible by the day-to-day shit that's essential to getting the thing done, but which has nothing to do with the creative process.

Yep. They also have to weigh in with the unfortunate and thankless tightrope walk of watching the budget and making sure that whatever the creatives are up to somehow lines up with all that. But once again, a decent producer finds a way to walk that line and keep the machine working.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

NapalmKev

Quote from: dweezil2 on 24 August, 2016, 05:55:30 PM
...Shaft...

Send proper wanker Adi Shankar thousands of Knob pictures. He may just get the hint!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JOE SOAP

GordonR

I see the 'prize' for the 50 runners-up is the amazing opportunity to pay them another $50-$100 (on top of the $29 per script entry) to buy discounted software.

Zarjaz!

Dandontdare

Hey, that mascara doersn't buy itself you kmow!