Main Menu

2000 AD Southern Contingent Pre-Christmas Gathering - Sat 12TH November 2016

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 25 August, 2016, 12:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Quote from: sheridan on 12 November, 2016, 12:26:46 AM
Signings at FP:
13:00 - 14:00 Peter Milligan and John McCrea

The Milligan and McCrea signing is in Birmingham.

See you all later in jolly old London.  :)
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

COMMANDO FORCES

Setting off in 40 mins and I'll give one of the SD goody bags to Albion due to his sterling deaths and the spare will be in the free raffle ;)

Albion

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 November, 2016, 09:01:42 AM
Setting off in 40 mins and I'll give one of the SD goody bags to Albion due to his sterling deaths and the spare will be in the free raffle ;)

Awesome. Thanks John.  :D
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

COMMANDO FORCES

Excellent turn out yesterday and a big thank you to all who came, especially Magnetica who came to his first gathering :thumbsup:

After a quick look round Forbidden Planet, where Guy made a killing buying Disco Dredd and his Lawmaster, we moved to the pub and went straight upstairs, as it was chokka downstairs and soon after it was the same upstairs, especially as the contingent started to arrive.

A great afternoon and evening of chat, with sketches being drawn, comics being looked at, laughs been had and drinks being drunk. Oh yeah, Simon won the Strontium Dog goody bag.

All I can say is thank you everyone for coming along, as it's everyone that makes these gatherings so relaxed and enjoyable.

Roll on the next one, as we've booked the 40th as the show for it  ;)

Magnetica

Thanks John. It was great to meet all of you yesterday and have some Tooth chat.

SuperSurfer

That was another enjoyable Southers gathering on Saturday. Was great to see so many Southers stalwarts and to meet newcomers AlexF and Magnetica.

Here are a few pics taken towards the end of the evening in The Crown & Anchor, which doubles up as the Southern Contingent Nerve Centre.

Clockwise: Commando Forces, Sheridan, Rackle, Magnetica, Albion and Dunk

One for the caption comp

Sheridan, Simon and Magnetica

Albion's fine artwork for Simon's Mekon Challenge.

COMMANDO FORCES

Those were to the end of the gathering, as we'd moved away from the tables and retired to the fireplace and comfy seats.

Damn, I didn't realise AlexF popped in. That's what happens when you're deep in conversation. I do apologise Alex, hope to chat with you at the next one.

Great pics by the way SuperSurfer :thumbsup:

Dunk!

Damn, is it due to the camera angle or lighting or am I finally thinning on top?

Oh vanity, thy name be Dunk!

Great afternoon otherwise though. :)
"Trust we"

AlexF

Sorry I had to run off so early - I was very impressed at the turnout, and it was lovely to meet some actual comic fans in the flesh! Will aim to get to the next one for longer.

I did ponder as I was walking to the pub that rule 1 of the internet is 'never agree to meet people in real life who you only know from online'. Happily I discovered an addendum to that rule: 'unless they're 2000AD readers'.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Dunk! on 14 November, 2016, 09:21:49 AM
Oh vanity, thy name be Dunk!

Hold onto your follicles, Dunk you're doing fine in that department.

It looks to me as if it's the light.

Apologies, I should have been more careful about giving a fellow squaxx of roughly the same age as me a complex over such matters.

Who says comics are for kids?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dunk! on 14 November, 2016, 09:21:49 AM
Damn, is it due to the camera angle or lighting or am I finally thinning on top?

Don't. I spent 10 minutes the other day going backwards and forwards under a shop's CCTV trying to work out how far way I was from the full Friar Tuck.

sbelmont

As usual another excellent gathering organised by Commando Forces.

Can I also thank Albion and SuperSurfer for taking the 'Mekon challenge'. Both passed with flying colours and I am now the proud owner off more amazing versions of his old green bonce.

I, Cosh

Good to hear you all had a nice time. Not only wasn't I able to stop by for a pint, but I also failed in my other 2000AD related quest to recreate my favourite Bill Savage adventure aboard a genuine DUKW.

I did attempt to draw a Chopper tag on one of the exhibits at the Tate Modern.

Quote from: AlexF on 10 November, 2016, 11:41:46 AM
Although you'd have to brave the back streets of Soho and walk right past Gosh Comics, resisting the temptation to browse in there for a few hours.
As it happens, we stumbled across this place completely by accident. What an absolutely wonderful shop! I did feel a bit bad as some American people were there doing a signing for Shade the Changing Girl to very little interest.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 15 November, 2016, 12:36:32 PM
As it happens, we stumbled across this place completely by accident. What an absolutely wonderful shop! I did feel a bit bad as some American people were there doing a signing for Shade the Changing Girl to very little interest.
I had looked on the Gosh website for any events happening on Saturday just gone and found it pretty useless.  It doesn't surprise me that people missed that there was something happening on Saturday (the posts are sorted by when they were announced, not by what day the event is actually happening).  Shame, as I wouldn't have minded a look at the new Shade (used to get the early 1990s version).