Main Menu

Prog 1997 - got that back to school feeling?

Started by moly, 03 September, 2016, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

That black voice in Maybe's head can't be Judge Death - "Ask me that when we get our butt busted" just don't sound like him.

10 second review:

Cover & Dredd - awesome
Scarlet Traces & Anderson - good
Outlier - nah, it's lost me again.

Muon

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 September, 2016, 10:44:41 AM
That black voice in Maybe's head can't be Judge Death - "Ask me that when we get our butt busted" just don't sound like him.

I've been thinking more along the lines that Maybe himself has become some kind of dark judge equivalent, or is on his way to becoming one.

Proudhuff

Great cover and a list of comic greats coming home in Damage Report, what's not to like? oh yeah, the return of Sixdex  :(

Dredd; There's only one word for that: magic darts!

Scarlet Traces: Loving it, feels like a classic Sci-Fi with all the right notes played in the right order.

Outthere: not my bag of gruel,

Anderson: Working well, and dare I say moving the character forward... not sure of the Flash Gordon cliffhanger thro...

DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Quote from: Bogbrush on 05 September, 2016, 10:58:35 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 September, 2016, 10:44:41 AM

I've been thinking more along the lines that Maybe himself has become some kind of dark judge equivalent, or is on his way to becoming one.

Well possibly but I don't think that is what is going on. For one thing it's not consistent with the Dark Juudges previous MO. We have seen them transform corpses into hosts that they can inhabit and IIRC have influenced others to carry out tasks on their behalf, but we haven't seen them leave people alive long term to do their bidding or appear as a voice in their heads. Having said that "Wot I did During Necropolis" does feature the Sisters of Death giving PJ an approving pat on the back, but even he says that was probably just wishful thinking on his behalf.

No, I think there is a more mundane explanation e.g. PJ is now talking to himself.

Proudhuff

and isn't the Big W a bit bored with the gang of four, hence sending them off into deep space?
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

It's the same black brain voice as the one that's been quietly forgotten in the last couple of Strontium Dog stories and will conclusively prove whether or not Joe and Johnny share a timeline.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 05 September, 2016, 12:22:15 PM
It's the same black brain voice as the one that's been quietly forgotten in the last couple of Strontium Dog stories and will conclusively prove whether or not Joe and Johnny share a timeline.

perhaps its the voice of the Black Horse that mysteriously appeared then disappeared in Dredd?
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 05 September, 2016, 12:28:43 PM

perhaps its the voice of the Black Horse that mysteriously appeared then disappeared in Dredd?
It's the Monad from the End of Time, the gestalt entity comprising all of the descendants of humanity which were processed by the Terminators, and including Dan Dare (still trying to clear his name), Tyranny Rex, Blackhawk and all the other lost souls that have vanished from the pages of the GG over the years.

Magnetica

It's Mr Chubb and Mr Torso feeding signals into his brain to control him like they did with Artie Grubber in Inferno.

Trent

Or at least share a writer.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 September, 2016, 11:32:41 AM
We have seen them transform corpses into hosts that they can inhabit and IIRC have influenced others to carry out tasks on their behalf, but we haven't seen them leave people alive long term to do their bidding or appear as a voice in their heads.

Actually we've seen exactly that happen, starting with Xena Lowther during their second Mega-City One rampage; then there was luckless radlander Malachi, who encountered Death during his Cursed Earth wanderings. And we could count the six or seven actors from Mrs Gunderson's House of Horrors...
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

It's the same black brain voice as the one that's been quietly forgotten in the last couple of Strontium Dog stories...

That's because the brain-gremlin got killed about three stories ago!
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 05 September, 2016, 04:11:24 PM
We have seen them transform corpses into hosts that they can inhabit and IIRC have influenced others to carry out tasks on their behalf, but we haven't seen them leave people alive long term to do their bidding or appear as a voice in their heads.

Actually we've seen exactly that happen, starting with Xena Lowther during their second Mega-City One rampage; then there was luckless radlander Malachi, who encountered Death during his Cursed Earth wanderings. And we could count the six or seven actors from Mrs Gunderson's House of Horrors...

Good memory Jimbo.
And how long did they influence Kraken before he became a full Dark Judge?

Of course the 'Black voice' has to be related to the Dark Judges.

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 05 September, 2016, 04:11:24 PM
we haven't seen them leave people alive long term to do their bidding or appear as a voice in their heads

Actually we've seen exactly that happen, starting with Xena Lowther during (Necropolis)

I don't know; PJ Maybe looks very sexy for someone carrying Phobia and Nausea around in their head.

I mean, Xena looked sexy when she was all shrivelled and corpse-like, but it was a different kind of sexy - a Lara Flynn Boyle or Daniella Westbrook on coke sexy - to PJ's fuller figure. Everyone else finds girls with sunken black eye sockets and ruched neck skin sexy, right?

I'd still like the Black Voice to be a new insight into Maybe's long term mental illness, but I suppose Link Prime is probably right.

Fungus

The idea that PJ becomes a DJ is delicious, to me. Wagner is of course possibly misdirecting readers with the 'black voice', but if this conversion does pan out, he will have fulfilled his 'major character death' promise too. While upping the ante further, losing none of the cast. Grud, this is a great story.