Main Menu

Prog 2003: On The Warpath

Started by Trent, 15 October, 2016, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: The Cheat on 22 October, 2016, 12:54:57 PM
What was the point of all the subterfuge last week, keeping Anderson's presence a secret, if Dredd's just going to run around screaming her name this week

That was really more for our benefit, wasn't it. I'm not sure she's so famous (or distinctive) some Sov CCTV operator would recognise her and immediately intuit what the team were up to.

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 22 October, 2016, 04:43:34 PM
What was the point of all the subterfuge last week, keeping Anderson's presence a secret, if Dredd's just going to run around screaming her name this week

That was really more for our benefit, wasn't it. I'm not sure she's so famous (or distinctive) some Sov CCTV operator would recognise her and immediately intuit what the team were up to.

I'd imagine the woman who got the launch codes that permitted genocide of East Meg 1, and defended Dredd at his trial in the Mediterranean Free State, would be pretty darned famous.

Frank

Maybe, but I'm not sure how many of us could pick this bad hombre out of a line-up without Reverse Google's help:

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

dweezil2

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 October, 2016, 08:40:03 PM
Quote from: Frank on 22 October, 2016, 04:43:34 PM

I'd imagine the woman who got the launch codes that permitted genocide of East Meg 1, and defended Dredd at his trial in the Mediterranean Free State, would be pretty darned famous.

She had a bit of a 'thing' with Orlok too!

Do you think he kissed and told?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack

It's Sunday re-read time. Given that McKay had passed from contention, I wish Mark Harrison had been given the Flesh gig.

'Cos while I acknowledge the great skill and huge effort that goes into this work, and the stronge creative relationship between Pat and Clint, I just can't enjoy this at all. Ah well.

One man's meat, obviously, but give me the clear stylish lines of Holden's Rogue Trooper in Hunted any day. A masterclass in action storytelling.

Must be an interesting tale of deadlines re: Dredd: Get Sin, with the change in inker from parts 1 to 2 and the Ewinsesque photocopy techniques employed this week. But they deliver a very handsome strip all the same.

A.Cow

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 October, 2016, 10:26:43 PM
I'm assuming 'the thousand yard stare' is a method of getting visions of the distant future, so that future tech can be duplicated. Nice idea.

I'm presuming differently: that it's a kind of time stretcher (to use very retro 2000 AD terminology) -- a way of getting scientists to experience 1000 years in minimal real-world time, thus coming up with amazing hi-tech ideas.  I imagine they'd need to harvest these ideas quickly before the subject turns to dust.

TordelBack

Quote from: A.Cow on 27 October, 2016, 12:29:58 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 19 October, 2016, 10:26:43 PM
I'm assuming 'the thousand yard stare' is a method of getting visions of the distant future, so that future tech can be duplicated. Nice idea.

I'm presuming differently: that it's a kind of time stretcher (to use very retro 2000 AD terminology) -- a way of getting scientists to experience 1000 years in minimal real-world time, thus coming up with amazing hi-tech ideas.  I imagine they'd need to harvest these ideas quickly before the subject turns to dust.

Like!

Hawkmumbler

Interesting analysis. My take on it was somewhat more mundane. A drug of some sort that induces hyper creativity and foresight into the Volg scientists, causing them to think of mad creations for beyond the realm of modern understanding.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 27 October, 2016, 11:52:22 AM
Interesting analysis. My take on it was somewhat more mundane. A drug of some sort that induces hyper creativity and foresight into the Volg scientists, causing them to think of mad creations for beyond the realm of modern understanding.

Curse your Vulcan logic!

JPMaybe

I know Dredd ain't exactly hard SF but the ending sort of got on my tits.  "Psychic virus?"  What's one of them when it's at home Rob?  And it makes their aircraft crash?
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Frank

Quote from: JPMaybe on 27 October, 2016, 09:40:10 PM
I know Dredd ain't exactly hard SF but the ending sort of got on my tits.  "Psychic virus?"  What's one of them when it's at home Rob?  And it makes their aircraft crash?

It's either psychic in nature, in which case it wouldn't work on a computer, or it's computer code, in which case you don't need Megacity's top psychic to get it onto Sovnet - just a USB stick.

The problem might just be the terminology; if Anderson had said she was implanting a virus, everyone would have assumed she was using a psychic link with Martin to transmit code.

Everyone enjoyed the story, so it doesn't really matter.

ZenArcade

She need only be uploaded with the code (in a simple zero - one form or probably something much more groovy) in MC1 and psychically download it into his brain. The torture tech would then recover this data, collate/interpret and spread it throughout the Sovnet ™ ....I think. Z :o
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 October, 2016, 09:32:03 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 27 October, 2016, 11:52:22 AM

Curse your Vulcan logic!

Vulcan logic... or Volgan logic?

TordelBack

The Sovs' brain/computer interface just gave Anderson the opportunity to apply her decades of experience with controlling, and being controlled by, biological minds to whatever intelligent systems the Sovs use to run their various tech setups. A 'psychic virus' is possibly something like the AI-version of the Sisters' Half-Life. Alternatively, like Zen says, it's a pre-packaged set of binary code dumped into her mind then passed directky on to the Sov network. The key thing is that the Sovs weren't expecting the route of access, and thus have no antivirus in place (as they would for a putative USB key).

The bit that challenged my suspension-of-disbelief is that you'd have to resort to anything more than harsh language to have Sinfield singing like a canary.