Main Menu

ICE 2017 - Brighton

Started by Steve Green, 09 November, 2016, 02:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

ICE appears to have shifted to June and from Birmingham to Brighton (unless they're running another one in Birmingham at another date in the year)

I went to the 2015 Brum con and it was a great comic only con.

Seems to be a year for shifting things around, TB moving to End of September (and is or isn't moving from the RA), LSCC into the kiss of death August Bank Holiday, and NICE being rested.

Steve Green

Looking at their fb page, the Birmingham one is still on in September.

amines2058

Steve I believe this to be a 2nd ICE event looking at my FB updates from Shane the organiser. Hoping to get to the Birmingham one next year for the 1st time as heard so much good about it.

JLC

How is this event? Not been before.

Steve Green

Only been to one of the Birmingham ones, but it was fun - felt a bit like Thought Bubble, although not quite on that scale.

Steve Green

Current guest list is

HANNAH BERRY – Artist and Writer
RUFUS DAYGLO – Artist
JOE DECIE – Artist and Writer
DAVE GIBBONS – Artist and Writer
DAVID HINE – Writer and Artist
MATT HOLLINGSWORTH – Colour Artist
TANINO LIBERATORE – Artist
OLLIE MASTERS – Writer
PAT MILLS – Writer
BOB MOLESWORTH – Artist
ROBBIE MORRISON – Writer
SIMON MYERS – Artist
BEN OLIVER – Artist
DEZ SKINN – Publisher & Editor
DES TAYLOR – Artist and TV Host
ALESSANDRO VITTI – Artist
CHRIS WESTON – Artist
ROB WILLIAMS – Writer
With more big names to be announced soon

We also have a growing list of attending professionals joining us at the event including:

MIKE COLLINS – Artist
IAN EDGINTON – Writer
GARY SPENCER MILLIDGE – Writer and Artist
DAVID ROACH – Artist
CAM SMITH – Inker
LEW STRINGER – Writer and Artist
DYLAN TEAGUE – Artist

JLC

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 February, 2017, 08:40:14 AM
Only been to one of the Birmingham ones, but it was fun - felt a bit like Thought Bubble, although not quite on that scale.
Thanks, 2000AD's 40th was my first comic con although I did go to Star Wars Celebration last year.

PlanetReplicas

Planet Replicas will be there !
Its my home town so looking forward to a con I can literally walk to - the novelty!

( Im hoping they can do some thing with/ in the i360 seeing as its quite futuristic ? )

Brighton is highly recommended for a day out, the local shops beat London for their originality, crafts and variety, the restaraunts are great, pubs even more so, and of course there is the beach and pier.
Theres also the Levels - with a great purpose built skatepark and playground.
Family members would run out of time long before they can get bored.

I would flag the trains as being unreliable sadly, so account for this in your travel plans...I think the Gatwick Express to Brighton is normally running ok though.
The venue is probably a 10 to 15 min walk down the hill from the station to the seafront .
Dave's Comics is also a very good local comic shop, with a second shop two doors up offering some cool deals on related merch, back issues, board games etc etc

See you there !
www.planetreplicas.com

info@planetreplicas.com
www.facebook.com/PlanetReplicas

Mardroid

Hmm. I might go to this, depending on circumstances closer to the time. Relatively close (living on Kent) and the standard ticket prices aren't bad.

Cosplayers get in half price... if you're going as a Marvel or DC characters. Hmph! Not that I was planning on cosplaying myself, but I find myself feeling irritated on behalf of us fans of alternative comics and those of you who turn up in Judge regalia.

I wonder if Dreddpool would count? Heh.

Steve Green

It's a bit odd.

Especially the 'we'll charge you £6 on top (so more than the standard entry fee) if we don't think it counts'

I'm not really sure what the intent is - to thin out the TV/Film/Game cosplayers?

Mardroid

Possibly. Maybe they're also concerned we'll turn up in any old stuff with the hope of getting a half price ticket. If it's not DC or Marvel, they might not recognise it, etc. That being said, there are plenty of characters in DC and Marvel that aren't all that well known, so, where do they draw the line?

Shall I just come in a suit, and maybe a trilby hat and tell them I've come as Clark Kent? I've got glasses already, and I can get a hat for around a fiver, or borrow my Dad's.  :lol:

If I come as Bruce Wayne or Peter Parker, I don't even need the hat or glasses. (Although I'd see better with them.)

Mardroid

Come to think of it, I don't need the hat for Clark Kent either. (I was thinking of adult Christopher Reeve's early appearance.) But I should make some effort... :lol:

JLC

Quote from: PlanetReplicas on 23 February, 2017, 10:02:36 AM
Planet Replicas will be there !
Its my home town so looking forward to a con I can literally walk to - the novelty!

( Im hoping they can do some thing with/ in the i360 seeing as its quite futuristic ? )

Brighton is highly recommended for a day out, the local shops beat London for their originality, crafts and variety, the restaraunts are great, pubs even more so, and of course there is the beach and pier.
Theres also the Levels - with a great purpose built skatepark and playground.
Family members would run out of time long before they can get bored.

I would flag the trains as being unreliable sadly, so account for this in your travel plans...I think the Gatwick Express to Brighton is normally running ok though.
The venue is probably a 10 to 15 min walk down the hill from the station to the seafront .
Dave's Comics is also a very good local comic shop, with a second shop two doors up offering some cool deals on related merch, back issues, board games etc etc

See you there !
Yep, I travel to Brighton for work every so often. A great place. Some good craft beer pubs & the burritos at La Choza are amazing.

JLC

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.