Main Menu

politicians in tooth (and the meg)

Started by sheridan, 09 November, 2016, 09:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

I wonder how long it'll be before we get a Trumpalike* in the pages of the two best comics in the galaxy?

This led me to ponder what other politicians and leaders have appeared in those hallowed pages, either as themselves or parodies of real leaders.

The very first ones were in Invasion! in Prog 1, with King Charles the Third (who would have thought he'd still be a prince seventeen years after the story) and Lady Shirley Brown (obviously Margaret Thatcher).

I'm not overly familiar with pre-Thatcher politics so any references to 1970s politicians would go over my head, even now.  The next characters based on a real leader I can think of was Cal, in the Day the Law Died (and wasn't he based as much on Nero in a TV series at the time?)  There must be more than that!

So, British Prime Ministers and MPs:

• Thatcher - in addition to the above, Iron Aggie appeared in The Human League story in Robo-Hunter.  Also she asked Tharg to recover Croydon
  • John Major - certain grey-skinned bespectacled characters made appearances though no named characters
  • Blair - who can forget B.L.A.I.R.1?  Also the puppet Blair in Zenith
  • Gordon Brown - I think this one managed to escape being depicted in 2000AD
  • Cameron - again, I can't think of any appearances, despite ripe material for parody
  • Boris Johnson - making an appearance relatively recently in Bad Company
US Presidents:

• Carter - I thinkhe appeared in a Carlos-illustrated story, that Stainless Steel Rat time travel one?  A Tharg tale here or there?
  • Reagan - a young Ron appeared in a Future Shock, where he wants to destroy the rest of the world and create a Planet America, Strontium Dog where he gets dragged around an alien planet, You Are Ronald Reagan in Twilight's Last Gleaming
  • Bush - I don't recall either Presidents Bush making it into 2000AD or the Meg
  • Clinton - the mutant leader Box Clinton in the Three Amigos
  • Obama - I'd have thought he would have appeared, but can't think of any instances - what am I forgetting?
Other Politicos:

• not referring to the Megs, but wasn't there an Australian PM lampooned in the Chopper story Earth, Wind and Fire?
  • Hitler - has appeared once or twice...
*not counting Bad Bob Booth, who appeared in the 1970s and was reimagined for Origins before the real Donald was pres.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 09 November, 2016, 09:57:40 PM

..And as himself, twice - The Strange Case of Bill Clinton and Whatever Happened to Bill Clinton?.Hillary also briefly features.
@jamesfeistdraws

Albion

Bill and Hillary Clinton are also in B.L.A.I.R.1 as well as Jack Straw and some other politicians of the time.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 November, 2016, 10:25:51 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 09 November, 2016, 09:57:40 PM

..And as himself, twice - The Strange Case of Bill Clinton and Whatever Happened to Bill Clinton?.Hillary also briefly features.
Good call:

I, Cosh

JFK. Gets killed by [spoiler]Sinister & Dexter[/spoiler].
Peter St John is basically Michael Heseltine.
GW Bush and Obama are both killed by one of the gods in Ten Seconders (the second is a continuity thing to do with a long break and a different artist.)
We never really die.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

DarkDaysBish-OP

He wasn't alive in the story, but Jimmy Carter looms large - literally - in The Cursed Earth.

"No! Not the teeth!"

TordelBack

Al Gore (as PotUS) shoots himself in Maniac 5, succeeded by NY Governer Mario Cuomo, himself succeeded by Hillary Clinton in the sequel. At least we now can say with confidence that stranger things have happened...

And of course Dredd and Rico track Pink Eyes to eponymous underground arcology Gore City in Tour of Duty.

Steve Green

Oswald Mo-Droid/Mosely in Play it again Sam.

Churchill appeared doing a nazi salute in Mad Tommy's hallucinations in BAD Company.

Bilious Barage/Nigel Farage in that Dredd story in the Meg.

Not sure if any politicos in the more historical series - Stickleback, Red Seas, Defoe etc.

norton canes

Quote from: sheridan on 09 November, 2016, 09:57:40 PMThe very first ones were in Invasion! in Prog 1, with King Charles the Third (who would have thought he'd still be a prince seventeen years after the story) and Lady Shirley Brown (obviously Margaret Thatcher).

Thatcher... Iron Aggie appeared in The Human League story in Robo-Hunter. Also she asked Tharg to recover Croydon

Wouldn't 'Lady Shirley Brown' more likely be Shirley Williams?

Thatcher did also appear in the four-part M.A.C.H. Zero story where he finds his son Tommy.

Link Prime

It's been a while since I read The Clown- was Boris Johnson in that by any chance?

AlexF

As the board's most outspoken LibDem, dare I suggest Sensitive Klegg?

Steve Green

Not sure if it counts but Cameron, Clegg and Brown appeared in a Dredd story as judges having a run-in with Dredd.

Corbyn appeared as a statue in the Lion's Den Dredd strip.

TordelBack

D'Israeli drew his namesake in the most recent Stickleback.