Main Menu

Judge Dredd Mega Collection extension suggestions

Started by Trent, 11 November, 2016, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

The IDW stuff doesn't count surely (with the odd exception).
Case Files are great but I love the themed nature of these volumes, and better paper and colour centrespreads for some of the early stories.
Don't understand the 'they said 80 so leave it at that' logic. The 80 volumes is purely arbitrary, if they had announced 100 to start then presumably you would want 100 volumes.
Other than potential issues with the spine I genuinely fail to see a problem or why anyone would want LESS of Dredd given how fortunate we are to have the collection in the first place in a world dominated by Marvel, DC, Star Wars etc.

IndigoPrime

These things almost never stop either, unless sales dry up or content doesn't exist. The Marvel one's still going, well beyond its original 60-book run.

I'm not really fussed either way. I suspect the series couldn't cope with too many extra books, but if we got another 20 or so that were filled with great stories, I'm not going to complain.

Tony Angelino

Marvel have a lot more history and output to draw on than JD does. There has many more pages of Marvel printed over the years than 2000AD.

I think the key thing here is the "great stories". In my opinion too many volumes of Mega Collection have not exactly been filled with great stories. If I got another couple of packages like Inferno or Calhab then I maybe wouldn't stick with the series until the end.

Ultimately the Mega Collection got me back in to 2000AD but I think they should stop at 80 and then have a rethink on the type of the stories they should be reprinting in such a series.

COMMANDO FORCES

It's not less of Dredd when it's reprint. If it was a series of 80 books expanded to 100 of new material, that's different.

Trent

Well we're obviously talking about reprint but reprint in nice themed hardback editions is still new Dredd product as far as I'm concerned.

opaque

I'm with the stick at 80 as well. Unless someone would like to pay for any the extra ones for me. Anyone?

The Legendary Shark

Stick at 80, then bring out a "2000AD Zarjaz Collection," with the best 2000AD/Megazine stories reprinted in thematic chunks.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

I doubt 2000 AD has the pulling power of Dredd, in order to make viable a subscription-based thematic collection. There are also stories that simply wouldn't work if you took a chunk out of them, such as Nikolai Dante. And given the nature of the Dredd collection, which is mostly good but partly awful, I'd baulk at paying a tenner for some utter tosh dredged up from the bowels of 2000 AD – or, for that matter, a dozen Sin/Dex books.

Trent

Have to say that I would see a 2000AD based set of books as a new series rather than an extension.

I just think there is fairly obvious Dredd material likely not to be included in the series that could easily fill another 10 to 20 books with decent strips such as Enceladus, Every Empire Falls, Serial Serial, Ladykiller, Dark Justice, The Cop, Dead Zone, Block Judge etc along with the likes of Lawless, Angelic, later Anderson to name but a few.

Bear in mind that the series has another year to run so there is as yet unpublished material they could theoretically mine.

Probably, the view of Rebellion on the financial options of Hachette vs their own trades would have to come into it.

The Legendary Shark

I was thinking more along the lines of an anthology series; find themes and include several stories in each volume. There needn't be whole volumes of just Sinister Dexter, ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper and all that but themed volumes containing stories from each series - including Judge Dredd (that could be the bridge from one collection to another).

2000AD is an anthology comic so the "Zarjaz Collection" should reflect this. Some series are short enough to be included in their entirety, possibly split up over several volumes, and some long enough to be presented as "samplers." As with the Mega Collection, it would be a representative sample and not a completist project - that's what the Case Files, etc., are for. Pretty sure we could get 50 to 100 volumes out of 40 years' worth of material - especially now rights to other classic properties are coming available so that Twoothy needn't be the only fruit.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

As I've never read it, I wouldn't mind a collection of the best stuff from 'Lawman of the Future'. I think some of that was supposed to be pretty good (the Judge Death stuff?) and I'm not sure it's ever been reprinted.

IndigoPrime

I've only read that comic through once, and would say it's unfairly derided. It's a distinctly different take on Dredd, but it's not bad per se. That said, I'm not sure it's something anyone would want cropping up in these Dredd volumes – and certainly not heavily. Still, as an extension book, alternate Dreddworld strips could be interesting (bringing in Dredd movie tie-ins, the Alternity stuff, and so on).

seanharry

I'd like to see a collection comprising all the interviews with artists and writers that appeared in the Megazine, plus the articles.

How about a collection featuring all the stories from the kids spin off comic from the film, was it called Lawman of the Future?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: seanharry on 19 January, 2017, 06:28:49 PMI'd like to see a collection comprising all the interviews with artists and writers that appeared in the Megazine, plus the articles.
Five volumes of those exist in digital, although not in print.

Jade Falcon

Maybe a themed collection of stories in book form?

Example, one I wouldn't mind is a "War Stories", with something like Rogue Trooper/86ers and the VC's.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov