Main Menu

Rebellion To Reprint The Last American

Started by JOE SOAP, 16 November, 2016, 12:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Arkwright99 on 14 April, 2017, 11:38:43 AM
so feeling a smidge peeved with the shop's delivery service at the moment. Still, what can you do about it. Not much, I guess.

I imagine if you reported the product as having arrived damaged, they'd send you a new one.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Arkwright99 on 14 April, 2017, 11:38:43 AMMy 40th Anniversary 2nd printing prog arrived yesterday but was a little beat up which was disappointing (and unusual given the weekly prog normally arrives in good condition) so feeling a smidge peeved with the shop's delivery service at the moment. Still, what can you do about it. Not much, I guess.
Email them and they'll send a replacement. I've had a couple of duff orders from 2000 AD of late, neither of which were standard Progs, interestingly. The 2016 summer special arrived with a back cover torn away from the staples and a piece actually missing from said cover. I then got the 40th special, which had an indentation down the entire cover that corresponds with the envelope used to ship it in.

I asked for (and got) a replacement for the former, but wasn't fussed about the latter to the point of wanting another copy. Teething issues, perhaps. But, yeah, ping Oliver a line if you feel the condition of your purchase is not acceptable.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Woolly on 14 April, 2017, 07:35:55 AM
Surely its Rebellion who are the publishers?
I just find it a bit odd, as this wasn't published in the prog.

It's like DC Putting DC On all their books. Instead of the Warner Brothers shield, even though Warner is the parent company, DC is the publisher. Warner and Rebellion get noted in the copyright page, but the branding is the comics arm.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

SALMON63

Don't suppose there are any Com-X scans I can compare this edition to are they?

Here's a scan of pg 11 - compare with the book. You'll see how much darker the shadows are.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1131620

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SALMON63 on 14 April, 2017, 04:17:12 PM
Here's a scan of pg 11 - compare with the book. You'll see how much darker the shadows are.

Has anyone asked Mick what he wanted the pages to look like? You're asserting that these are objectively worse when all we can definitively say is that the two editions are different and that you don't like the newer one.

Woolly

Quote from: SALMON63 on 14 April, 2017, 04:17:12 PM
Don't suppose there are any Com-X scans I can compare this edition to are they?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1131620

See what you mean. McMahon's scratchy colouring of the shadows is completely lost in the hardback.
As Jim says though, ultimately it's Mick's call. Be nice to hear his opinion on this edition.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Woolly on 14 April, 2017, 07:09:21 PM
See what you mean. McMahon's scratchy colouring of the shadows is completely lost in the hardback.
As Jim says though, ultimately it's Mick's call. Be nice to hear his opinion on this edition.

This is the thing... Mick's a canny enough artist to know what repro will do to his art. It's well-established that his scratchy Slaine inks were a happy accident that he happened to like, so I hesitate to point to his originals and declare that this is how he intended the pages to look in print.

SALMON63

I only linked to an original page because when I compared it to the Com-X reprint it was pretty closeb for comparison sake and considering that this new book used the same digital files I don't quite understand the considerable difference especially in the magenta tones. Not heard back from Mick yet as he's away on hols . I daresay either way he'll want his opinion kept private knowing the man .One unequivocable fact is that detail is muddied in the oversaturated blacks of the Rebellion book and I've yet to hear from an artist who likes details of their work obliterated like this.Have you?

maryanddavid

Might be if interest! An ad for the original series that appeared in Speakeasy in 1990.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SALMON63 on 14 April, 2017, 09:18:14 PM
I've yet to hear from an artist who likes details of their work obliterated like this.Have you?

Again. You don't like it, and that's fine. I don't accept that you can assert that this edition is objectively worse (or better, for that matter) based on your personal feeling. I haven't fished out my Com.X version of this, nor had time to go through the new version in any meaningful way, so I'm not arguing a side-by-side comparison just that--again--I don't think we can second guess what the artist expected the published art to look like. For all we know, Mick expected the blacks to fill in (cf, Terry Austin's rather famous inking of Ororo's nipple in an issue of X-Men, knowing the halftone he laid down would fill in on the press, only for higher quality reprints in later years to reveal the breasty in-joke).

SALMON63

The main reason that he didn't fill in the flat blacks with a brush is because he wanted a more textural feel to the final work so I find it highly unlikely Mick would be expecting all the shadows to become solid with not depth. He's still doesn't use a brush but prefers Edding finepoints or Italic pens to do the job. It's a very conscious deliberate move that I've discussed with him and one of the things i"m sure you'll agree makes his work unique.So I feel I'm basing my comments on something a little more than a preference wether it looks that way to you or not.Enjoy the book!

Adrian

moly

SALMON63

Same here! Print is lovely. Now to stick in the bookplate without buggering it up.:)

Tjm86

... and here too.  Postage date is the same for the print and book so it looks like the system generates the email loon before posting.  Might be something to look at.  I'd rather have a 'we're preparing to send it but it might take a few more days' email than a 'it's in the post now, honest (fingers crossed)' email.  Would avoid premature missing post emails.  Plus the envelope they used leaves a lot to be desired.  I can see why some got dinged up in the post.

At a larger size than the com-x version, plus hardback it's been worth the purchase. Rebellion haven't included all of the image gallery that was in that version.  Not completely surprising as those were probably special commissions.  Plus the Gibbons and Ennis introductions have not been included, probably for the same reasons.

Bookplate signed by Mike M.  As Salmon says, now to figure out how to stick it in!

Tony Angelino

You would have thought they would have just waited and put the bookplates in themselves.

I didn't order this particular one, as I wasn't a massive fan of the story, but personally I would rather have waited a week or so and got everything together.

I know I would also make a mess of the bookplate.