Main Menu

Prog 2012 - Gone to Texas

Started by Dandontdare, 24 December, 2016, 12:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Looks like 'case' to me. I did hope they had reverted to Ye Old English fpelling (xon't know if it has a name) but I see not  :)
Quick look at TT's first page and it is very fine.

Anyway, WH Smiths are charging 4.99 for this prog again. You have been warned.

Hawkmumbler

Well thats was a tight pack of thrills, Dredd kicks off nicely, Kingdom and The Order kick all kinds of behind, Kingmaker is suitably amazing and Hope is actualy a lot better this week.

Frank

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 January, 2017, 02:35:38 AM
Dredd - I thought it was the young lady narrating ... turned out to be the old fella ... even if he is older there's no reason why his father couldn't still be alive ... but it was an interesting bit of misdirection ... I wonder if the judge's father is alive, or if it's just a habit he doesn't want to give up, from his early years ... it doesn't really matter ... it's a nice character moment

Two clever, original ideas, pulled off with aplomb. It's difficult to believe this and the equally assured In Denial (prog 2010) are from the same pen as the meandering Oswinvasion storyline.

Duke says he only graduated 22 years ago, so maybe there was a little miscommunication between script droid and art droid regarding the character's appearance. The script may have referenced eighties Sam Elliott, rather than nineties Sam Elliott:

T.C Eliot: From The Dude to the Duke

Smith

Judge Dredd,Kingmaker,Hope and Kingdom are off to pretty good starts.Never cared much for The Order,but all things considered,the year started pretty strong.  :)

jacob g

Damn good issue and Hope is my fav for now.
margaritas ante porcos

Verence

I wonder how long it will be before East Meg 2 starts something in Texas City

Pegasus P Artichoke

A top prog for me to start the new year with

Dredd was excellent, with brilliant art, and an interesting story going forward I feel.

Kingmaker I enjoyed, not sure if this is a new strip or it has been in the prog in the past but I liked it

The Order I  struggled with this the last time it was included but for whatever reason this story has clicked with me and the art is

Hope is a stand out for me, love the look and feel of it

Kingdom is another one that I first read about last time it was in the prog and really enjoyed it then and enjoying it just as much now

All in all some pretty top stuff
We'll give them back their heroes

Muon

That was a really entertaining prog.

The Dredd story was so well paced and constructed it was just a pleasure to read.

Kingmaker is like The Lord of the Rings and Krull got together and tag-teamed Game of Thrones but I'm having fun with it. It looks like the writer and artist are really out to enjoy themselves and the joy really shines through.

Hope is looking great. The setting reminds me a bit of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' The Fadeout but this is going in a completely different direction. Love the narrators' hard-boiled asides. His reaction to the question "you the dick?" Had me in stitches.

The Order is just as crazed and breathlessly paced as it's always been... Which is good.

This installment of The Kingdom is looking intriguing. It's going all shades of grey now, with the masters coming across as a bunch of snobbish assholes and Gene coming across as an accident waiting to happen.

Looks like it's going to be a great run of stories.

IndigoPrime

Is 2012 this week's Prog, or was it last weeks, in terms of on-sale dates? (I got mine on Christmas Eve, I think.)

Southstreeter

2012 is this week's, cover date 4 Jan. It reached me as a subscriber a week earlier than I would have expected. I'm expecting 2013 to drop through the letterbox today, to put us back on track.

flip-r mk2

Post's been, no 2013 in Bonnybridge today :(

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Jacqusie

I got prog 2013 waaay back in December 2012, it was alright I suppose...  ::)

TordelBack

Dredd is neat opener, TT looking remarkably like CC in colour.  Assuming Kirby graduated at 18, he's 40: plenty of us were grey at 40, ahem!

Kingmaker doing nothing for me so far, I'm afraid, but it is early days. Leigh's art, which I normally love, seems a bit dark under the colouring job, and I'm not sold on the character designs.  I normally do get Edginton's eager mining of pop-culture, and I can see that Game-of-Warcraft-of-the-Rings is ripe for a tongue-in-cheek 2000AD spin, but some of the lifts here are just too direct and too extensive to allow me to actually buy into the premise.  And if this turns out to be taking place inside a computer...

Hope on the other and ticks all the boxes, especially the one labelled 'I wish there'd been more of Family'.  It's great to see this team cracking on with their own creation in the Prog, they're both big talents on the way up.

Kingdom is as always beyond my ability to praise.  I've always loved it, I love it still.

And you can take my feelings about The Order to be much the same.  This series looks to be opening up the story very nicely, even if I do miss the simplicity of the first run.  Good to see Cyrano in action!

JamesC

Really surprised to hear that people aren't enjoying The Order and Kingmaker. I'm absolutely loving both of them! Brilliant art and character designs on both of them I think.
Dredd is solid but so far unremarkable.
Hope for the Future is enjoyable but I'm a little uncomfortable with how reminiscent it is of Hellblazer. I'm sure it will become more distinct as the story progresses.
Kingdom is great as always.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JamesC on 08 January, 2017, 09:46:02 AM
Really surprised to hear that people aren't enjoying The Order and ...

The Order does seem to polarise opinion. There are many folk who don't just like it, but love it. I certainly count myself amongst those. Then there are other who just don't get on with it at all.

Now someone will come along to prove me wrong no doubt but doesn't seem too much inbetween. Not many people think it's okay or just pretty good. Whichever side you sit on normally a good sign that it's interesting if nowt else!