Main Menu

Dredd a fitness

Started by The dude, 24 December, 2016, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The dude

I know there have been any references to Dredd getting old and slower, but has it ever been clearly articulated how he manages to maintain his fitness and ability to still do the job of a street judge in his mid 70's? A canon explanation would really help me get to the bottom of this. Merry Xmas

NapalmKev

Rejuvenation treatments have been mentioned in quite a few stories.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

The dude

Thanks I do recall after his bad burning in the Dead Man/Necropolis he recieved that but I wasn't sure if this continued. I alshave read about it dredd he somewhere

Dandontdare

I think the post-Necropolis treatments were more cosmetic than rejuvenating, but he has had several bits replaced by vat-grown organs or bionics, and had a cancer cured with a simple treatment. John Wagner, when asked this question, usually just says that thanks to 22nd century medical advances, 70 is the new 40

The dude

Thank you. I remember the post Necropolis treatments. Being stated by the tech as a rejuv. I suppose I am qurious as to how long the age issue can be realistically skirted? Is Dredd on Justice Dept stookie

Frank

Quote from: The dude on 24 December, 2016, 02:06:32 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 24 December, 2016, 01:07:16 PM
Rejuvenation treatments have been mentioned in quite a few stories

I remember the post Necropolis treatments. Being stated by the tech as a rejuv. I suppose I am qurious as to how long the age issue can be realistically skirted? Is Dredd on Justice Dept stookie

As Dan says, Dredd spent time inside a Brevill sandwich toaster after Necropolis, but that was to repair injuries to his skin (the machine is branded "RAPI-DERM"). Artists didn't draw Dredd looking any younger after his burns healed, and his age was still a feature of stories [1].

Every time Dredd gets in a fight we see him with his arm in a RAPI-HEAL, and stories have featured his cancer treatment and taking ten in the sleep machine, but the only mention of rejuvenation treatment was Michael Carroll and Ben Willsher's Carousel (Megazine 375)

The answer to the dude's question is that, prior to September 2016, Dredd was just a hard bastard, who wasn't going to let age beat him any more than Stan Lee, or being turned into a werewolf, or dying a few times. Carousel changed that.

[1] Garth Ennis has a couple of characters refer to Dredd having a rejuve (Death Aid, prog 711), but all they know is Dredd used to look like Pepperami, and now he doesn't