Doctor Who Christmas Special

Started by Steve Green, 29 December, 2016, 08:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

Getting out before the next series airs. This makes me nervous.

auxlen

QuoteI gave up on Doctor Who when I realised that it was no longer being made for me

truly this....I thought capaldi would save it but the 'funny' Sontaran and the interspecies couple/detectives are just too 'modern who' for me.....

Tony Angelino

I've mentioned this before but Capaldi playing guitar on the tank scene was the end for me. I think a huge amount of old fans probably dropped out with the Missy/Cybermen two parter.

Personally I think he could have been one of the best Doctors but to me he was saddled with some ridiculous, cringe inducing stories. I think my issue with the series lay with Stephen Moffett who I see as very much being about style over substance (same problem with Sherlock). Capaldi would have had the credibility and standing to curb some of Moffett's excesses but he obviously didn't.

Daveycandlish

I find it telling that more hasn't been made of this on the forums. Surely we are the perfect audience? Old enough to stay up for it (the last series was ridiculously late in the schedules for a family show) and nostalgic for the last century version. I think Who has lost it's way and needs a reboot so perhaps his leaving is a good thing. I expect the new Doc to be male, white and middle class and I don't think that's a bad thing. Give him the new companion and a Time Lady to travel with and ditch the season story arcs. Bring back the fun!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Leigh S

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 31 January, 2017, 06:45:06 PM
I find it telling that more hasn't been made of this on the forums. Surely we are the perfect audience? Old enough to stay up for it (the last series was ridiculously late in the schedules for a family show) and nostalgic for the last century version. I think Who has lost it's way and needs a reboot so perhaps his leaving is a good thing. I expect the new Doc to be male, white and middle class and I don't think that's a bad thing. Give him the new companion and a Time Lady to travel with and ditch the season story arcs. Bring back the fun!

I suspect Chibnall is not the man to reboot the series - I imagine it will be more of the same with diminishing returns, as another of the fan writers who seem too reverential to the admittedly very well orchestrated RTD reinvention to really break ranks with it 

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Three Doctors in a row have been awesome, perfectly cast actors performing in mostly mediocre or worse scripts.

Whomever replaces Capaldi will face the same challenge under Chibnall. Possibly moreso.

I agree that the show needs a proper reboot, and I reckon the BBC should also ditch the idea of a lead writer, in favour of empowering a good script editor.

IndigoPrime

I've been saying the same for a long time. The problem with Who is in placing too much control in the hands of a single person. With RTD, the series just about got away with it, due to his enthusiasm, goodwill from viewers, and the manic energy Eccles infused the Doctor with. But even then, you saw the cracks and issues – too much hand-wavey inconsistency and arcs that just didn't work at all.

But then this seems par for the course in an awful lot of television these days. I've been watching Lucifer on Amazon and, my word, it's like no-one's actually bothered to sit down and figure out how the leads should interact. Their relationship makes no sense whatsoever, and characters become chess pieces to further weak arcs and frequently nonsensical plot devices. 

dweezil2

Nu Who needs a fundamental rethink-it's been treading water for far too long.   
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dandontdare

I've gone through all the five stages with nu-who, denial anger etc ... I've now reached acceptance of it for what it is, and I'm much happier because of it. If I don't try to make sense of long arcs, or worry about annoying companions, I can enjoy the show much more than I used to.

I think Capaldi has been superb, and at least nowadays when it goes over the top (eg tank-guitar) it's for reasons of tongue-in-cheek humour rather than mawkish sentimentality, as it was with Tennant and Smith

dweezil2

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 February, 2017, 04:29:03 PM
I've gone through all the five stages with nu-who, denial anger etc ... I've now reached acceptance of it for what it is, and I'm much happier because of it. If I don't try to make sense of long arcs, or worry about annoying companions, I can enjoy the show much more than I used to.

I think Capaldi has been superb, and at least nowadays when it goes over the top (eg tank-guitar) it's for reasons of tongue-in-cheek humour rather than mawkish sentimentality, as it was with Tennant and Smith

Fair play, but when it's the flagship British science fiction show, let's face it the only British science fiction show, mediocre is just not good enough!
Especially when the premise offers so much potential. 
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

auxlen

just go old school or Big Finish and move to BBC 2 at 9pm ktnakjx

JLC

So, this is also the general Doctor Who thread?

New trailer is out!