Main Menu

New 2000AD Binding from Prog 1

Started by matty_ae, 27 January, 2017, 04:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

Matt of the Spurs - belatedly, yes I used a die stamp created by someone else.

And to Chiefy2Shoes - I would love your collection. I'm just dipping my toe in and would love to have that full set. Thanks for the advice & recommendation.

- I didn't include the Specials as I always found them unevenly produced and I was really just wanting to copy the original IPC archives - at one point I wanted them to look identical - just red material with simple spine and dates - but vanity took over.

Watch out for the Starlord balls-up where the page size changes so dramatically they cant be bound with normal progs. Bah

Mattofthespurs

Thanks Matty.

I was considering what to do with the page size change too and wonder if there is enough gap either side that the different sized ones could all be bound together.

Also, much later on, there is another page size change but I think that one runs for a lot longer.

matty_ae

This is how I was going to split them
26 progs a book, so 52 a year.

But that means the 'birthday issues' would be last in a book, when regularly they are celebrated with new stories. So from 156 I was going to drop an issue so I could start a new book with it.

So now the complication is that I think 110 - 127 would be best bound on their own as all a different size, meaning that the issue count either side would have to be larger to take up the slack.

Mute77

Really impressed with this idea. Ive got loads of progs in my mums attic and the thought of having them bound into a single volume appeals to me. Id only go for the period i remember most fondly-around the late 80s so it doesnt seem like such a mammoth task! Very nice looking volumes..

I, Cosh

Where are you including the Sci-Fi Specials?
We never really die.

matty_ae

I've never rated the Specials or the Annuals. Certainly early on they seems dogged by text stories and oddity fillers like Rick Random (?) so I'm only doing the progs.

Please share any new binds / insights and I'll share my new ones once done.

Leigh S

I aim for relaunch or landmark progs for the purposes of boxing - so 85, 178, 335 etc

If I had the money and shelf space I would probably go:

1 to 29 or 35 (all stories end in prog 35.... might be tempted to go there - whats the maximum number?)
30 (or 36) to 58 (last Dare cover and Dredd returns from Luna 1)
59-85 (up to Starlord starting)
86-109 (up to page size stuff intruding)
110 to 127 (page size and up to Tornado intruding)
128 - 155  (up to start of Judge Child)
156 -177 (up to relaunch issue)

Not sure how the size differences would look on the shelf though!

jpentz

As I am thinking of binding some issues myself, can someone tell me what are all the changes in size that happened during all the years of 2000AD being published? Thanks!

Also, I too have the same concern with the Starlord issues and the height difference of the binded books. Anyone else has an idea, aesthetically speaking?

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 February, 2017, 12:34:42 PM

1 to 29 or 35 (all stories end in prog 35.... might be tempted to go there - whats the maximum number?)

Hollingworth and Moss recommend no thicker than 2 inches.

All-Comic.com

Oh man, these looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty_ae

Here's the answer to 'should you get the Special bound in with the Star Lord comics?'

Looking at the Star Lords, the height is completely different way too much to trim. You can see it here.

Damn you IPC why did you do stupid things like this?

Can anyone show a comparison of a 1977 prog with either of the 1977 2000AD Specials, is it the same sort of difference?

Thanks to Martin/Maf who has been great supplying me progs and stuff like this.

kiwijohn

I was inspired by the bindings section on the Marvelmasterworks forum to start binding my comics. I've been binding 2000AD and the Megazine since 2012, and have slowly backtracked my way as far back as 2004.
They cost me around 85 New Zealand dollars each (or 45 quid), hence the slow pace.
I've been binding a whole year for the Megazines and a half a year in each volume,(ie: Jan to June and July to Dec) for the 2000ADs, with the 100page progs starting the year (hence those volumes are wider than the 2nd half year volumes).
I got a custom made stamp for the 2000AD 'fan' logo, which unfortunately the binders couldn't use on the spine, although they were able to use the Dredd badge for the Megazine binds. The other major task for the binds was compiling the title pages.

matty_ae

Cool. Add a photo. Love to see the die stamp. Why could they use the 2000AD one out of interest?
Mat

glassstanley

Quote from: matty_ae on 23 April, 2017, 07:32:13 AM
Here's the answer to 'should you get the Special bound in with the Star Lord comics?'

Looking at the Star Lords, the height is completely different way too much to trim. You can see it here.

Damn you IPC why did you do stupid things like this?

Can anyone show a comparison of a 1977 prog with either of the 1977 2000AD Specials, is it the same sort of difference?

Thanks to Martin/Maf who has been great supplying me progs and stuff like this.

I've had my Star Lord special bound with the comics. The binder lined it at the top - looks fine.

The 70s specials fit in fine with the progs. The tricky decision came with the 1981-1986 specials. They were as tall as the Star Lords, against the much shorter Progs. After much umming and ahing I decided to bind each of those specials separately so they could at least sit in the right place on the shelf.

matty_ae

I would like to see that shelf...