Main Menu

Meg 381 - Scales of Justice!

Started by Richard, 11 February, 2017, 03:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

I'm in two minds about that reveal.

I know it has been said many times that [spoiler]the Strontium Dog world is a possible future for Dredd's world, but I don't really want the strip to move more towards that. I have taken the view to date that the Dredd - Alpha cross-overs we have had so far were just a way of shoe horning the two characters into the same story, just because it would be a bit of fun*. I have never really taken them as canon.**[/spoiler]

*[spoiler]yeah I know "Judgement Day" and "fun" isn't necessarily a combination most would think of.[/spoiler]

**[spoiler]yeah I know #2: can-opened type situation risked.[/spoiler]

Bolt-01

[spoiler]Actually just because this has happened in the Meg it doesn't mean that the events from Alpha's past are going to be happening in Dredds world. After all, in the 'world' of S/D there are no mentions of Mega-cities so I doubt events are going to be put into place to wipe out M-C-1.

I personally think that Alpha's future is still a 'possible' future for Dredd, but this doesn't make it any more than that.[/spoiler]

The whole post is spoilered as it relates very heavily on the events in the latest Dredd in the Meg. If you click it- Don't say you weren't warned.

Proudhuff

Loved that reveal, well done the Car-Roll Droid! said as much in person at the fortieth but this is another great bit of shoehorning(in a good way!)
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 February, 2017, 07:57:19 AM
[spoiler]Actually just because this has happened in the Meg it doesn't mean that the events from Alpha's past are going to be happening in Dredds world. After all, in the 'world' of S/D there are no mentions of Mega-cities so I doubt events are going to be put into place to wipe out M-C-1.

I personally think that Alpha's future is still a 'possible' future for Dredd, but this doesn't make it any more than that.[/spoiler]
Very much this [spoiler]Dredds world can very much career of into the other trouser leg of time whilst still having these links and commonalities. You can even have fun with what causes these differences. Bunkie is on Dredds radar [/spoiler]

Prodigal2

Back buying the meg-loved Dredd and that ending.

I found Adrian Salmon's article insightful and interesting and was nodding my head vigorously at his predilection for searching out old youthful comforts in times of adversity. Lovely stuff.

I, Cosh

This week's Dredd epitomises everything I find wrong with Carroll's take on the story. Everything needs to tie back to something else rather than just being something new. It would be perfectly fine as a throwaway reference in an episode which the reader can either take at face value or consider as the writer's joke. Hinging a whole two part story on it forces you to treat it as An Important Revelation. Which sucks for people who either aren't versed in forty years of history or who think existing crossovers are fine for a laugh but the links really don't need to be pursued or nailed down.

Fortunately, Lawless was there to take the bad taste away. Great episode with more great crowd scenes from Marvellous Mr Winslade.

Anderson was fun enough. Quite like Marshall's take on her too.

Haven't read TotBM yet.
We never really die.

Magnetica

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 February, 2017, 12:06:43 PM
This week's Dredd epitomises everything I find wrong with Carroll's take on the story....

..Hinging a whole two part story on it forces you to treat it as An Important Revelation.

Now I do generally like Carroll's Dredd, but I agree with you on the "hinging the whole two part story on it". There was nothing in this story or indeed previous Carroll Dredd's to give any clue about it - it was just plucked from the ether at random as far as I am concerned.

I am going to chose to follow Bolt's advice and treat it as as just a one off for now and not read anymore into it (until such time as Michael Carroll follows it up I guess).

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 February, 2017, 12:06:43 PM
It would be perfectly fine as a throwaway reference ... (but) sucks for people who think existing crossovers are fine for a laugh but the links really don't need to be pursued or nailed down.

I'm not a fan of Avalanches-style story construction either, but the reaction here and the other 2000ad shaped recesses of the internet has been 100% awe and appreciation. Comic readers love them some continuity.

Steve Green

A nice bit of fun, enjoyable without knowing who NBK is + I don't think everything needs to be spoonfed to the reader.

I only got a fraction of the references in some of the LOEG strips, it was just as much fun finding out afterwards.

Shame someone posted the image on facebook in a couple of places a few days before the regular Meg shipped.

Will it amount to anything? Who knows, Bunky could end up in a similar position to Angel in the Angelic strip.

MC-1 managed to avoid City of the Damned after all.

I'm more bothered that we've got two (presumably separate) secret factions by different writers on the go at the same time.

Might be an idea to put at least one of them to rest soonish.

Proudhuff

Don't think the whole story hung on it, just a nice nod at the end.
DDT did a job on me

Richard

A new reader who doesn't know who [spoiler]Kreelman[/spoiler] is wouldn't even know that this was a nod to another story, so they wouldn't be put off by it. They literally wouldn't know that they had missed anything. They would think that the final panel was introducing a new character (which as far as Dredd is concerned is exactly what did happen). So I think Cosh's criticism is misplaced here.

I liked it.

And I don't think it means that [spoiler]Dredd's world is any closer to Strontium Dog's than it was already. We still don't know if the war of 2150 is still going to happen, or if the events of Judgement Day changed the course of history.[/spoiler]

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2017, 03:39:19 PM
We still don't know if the [spoiler]war[/spoiler] of [spoiler]2150[/spoiler] is still going to happen, or if the events of [spoiler]Judgement Day[/spoiler] changed the course of history.

On the understanding that it's all just a bit of fun, fiction doesn't have to obey the precepts of physics, and that none of us are Niels Bohr ...

I think if Judgement Day had altered Dredd's timeline in a way that meant Johnny Alpha no longer needed a special prescription from Vision Express, we'd already know about it. In their most recent encounter [1], Alpha clearly remembers and is on friendly terms with Dredd.

If Judgement Day had altered the timeline in a way that meant the war of 2150 never happened, John Kreelman would no longer be a mutant nor (presumably) a bounty hunter [2]. He and Dredd would never have met on Judgement Day.

If Tharg was planning to split the Dredd/Alpha timeline, he'd need to do so sometime in the next decade. After such a split, the Stronty Dog timeline would still feature Dredd in its history, but our Dredd's future would no longer feature the war of 2150 or a mutant called Johnny Alpha.

[1] By Private Contract, Wagner & Ezquerra (prog 2000)

[2] It would take a massive coincidence for the John Kreelman of that alternate, nuke-free post-2015 timeline to also have Rogue Trooper eyes, be friends with a guy called McNulty (who's attached lumps to his head and hacked off his own arm), and team up with the two Stix from current Strontium Dog continuity. This alternate Alpha, from a non-nuked post-2050, would also have needed to travel back in time and meet Dredd before, since he already knows Dredd in By Private Contract. He would need to have done so in some other story we've never seen.

Richard

Nobody is saying that the events of Judgement Day changed Alpha's past, only that it might have changed Dredd's future and sent it off into a parallel timeline. That needn't prevent Dredd and Alpha from meeting again in stories like By Private Contract. (Well maybe it should, but comics.)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2017, 05:53:37 PM
Nobody is saying that the events of Judgement Day changed Alpha's past, only that it might have changed Dredd's future and sent it off into a parallel timeline. That needn't prevent Dredd and Alpha from meeting again in stories like By Private Contract. (Well maybe it should, but comics.)

Yeah. I banged on about this at some length in a post I can't be arsed to google up, but, specifically supported by the way that time travel/paradoxes seem to work in the Dredd universe, it's entirely possible for Dredd's world to exist as part of Alpha's past, without Alpha's world having to exist as Dredd's definitive future. The timelines can diverge at any point after any of their currently documented meetings without implications for either timeline. In fact, Dredd could visit Alpha's future, but assuming a divergent timeline, he would need both time travel and a D-Jump to do it.

Al Ewing has already introduced the idea that Justice Dept has a dossier on what little they know about Alpha's future. It's possible that there is a plan being hatched (in-fictional-universe) somewhere to ensure that the timelines diverge, since ending up in Alpha's future requires the complete end of the Judges and, by implication, the Mega-Cities.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 16 February, 2017, 05:53:37 PM
Nobody is saying that the events of Judgement Day changed Alpha's past, only that it might have changed Dredd's future

Our Alpha's past is Our Dredd's future, Richey Baby.

Whatever happens to change Our Dredd's future is the cut-off point beyond which Our Alpha can no longer visit Our Dredd. Our Alpha could still go back and visit His Dredd (in a past where 2150 still happens), but he could no longer visit Our Dredd (to whom 2150 will pass without incident).

If something in Our Dredd and Our Alpha's shared past changed during Judgement Day (that means the war of 2150 will no longer happen), that's the point beyond which Our Alpha can no longer visit (not 2150 itself).

* According to The Exterminator (926), the timeline can absorb small changes like the timing of death for the childless passengers of the Pan Astra, but Our Dredd can no longer travel back in time and visit the survivors of the Pan Astra in the version of the past where they lived to spread the virus - just as Our Dredd can't go back and visit the Owen Krysler who went on to become The Mutant at a point beyond when Our Dredd travelled back in time (from 2120) and killed Krysler. Those versions of Our Dredd's past are no longer accessible to Our Dredd, just as none of Our Dredd's past after the timelines diverge would be accessible to Our Alpha. Our Alpha can only visit Our Dredd at a point before the timelines diverge.