Main Menu

Meg 381 - Scales of Justice!

Started by Richard, 11 February, 2017, 03:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 19 February, 2017, 01:10:20 AM
Quote from: Pegasus P Artichoke on 17 February, 2017, 07:59:21 PM
Wow

That Dredd story was a corker, fantastic stuff and hopefully an introduction to an interesting recurring character, but an absolute belter of a strip. A+ go to the top of the class

Glad you liked the Dredd story - and it shows that those who say you need to be familiar with forty years of 2000AD continuity to have enjoyed it were wrong!  The reason for that is because Bunky is [spoiler]Nelson Bunker Kreelman - a character who first appeared around Prog 200 (200, not 2000) and is the father of Johnny Alpha, and we found out about in Portrait of a Mutant.  The collection I linked to also has a follow-up story which I won't say anything about.[/spoiler]

So - you can't post links in spoilers then (and I haven't been given any option to edit).

Magnetica

Time to agree with Colin again - Lawless is great.

CalHab

The inscrutable oriental gentleman with the wispy moustache jarred a bit in Anderson. It seemed an unnecessary stereotype. I'm not sure why this bothered me, given that it was in a story about a future cop fighting psychic dragons conjured by mutants, but it did.

Pegasus P Artichoke

Quote from: sheridan on 19 February, 2017, 01:11:38 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 19 February, 2017, 01:10:20 AM
Quote from: Pegasus P Artichoke on 17 February, 2017, 07:59:21 PM
Wow

That Dredd story was a corker, fantastic stuff and hopefully an introduction to an interesting recurring character, but an absolute belter of a strip. A+ go to the top of the class

Glad you liked the Dredd story - and it shows that those who say you need to be familiar with forty years of 2000AD continuity to have enjoyed it were wrong!  The reason for that is because Bunky is [spoiler]Nelson Bunker Kreelman - a character who first appeared around Prog 200 (200, not 2000) and is the father of Johnny Alpha, and we found out about in Portrait of a Mutant.  The collection I linked to also has a follow-up story which I won't say anything about.[/spoiler]

So - you can't post links in spoilers then (and I haven't been given any option to edit).

Ah, thank you for taking the time to explain that to me Sheridan much appreciated
We'll give them back their heroes

Proudhuff

Shirley Owen Chrysler predicted all this? :think:
DDT did a job on me

Jacqusie

Just catching up on the pile of Megs, I though Anderson was the stand out and I like Marshalls take on her, It works much better than some of her recent sojourns anyhoo.

As for the Dredd / SD thing? Carrols Dredd is now becoming a rather silly parody that seems to want to use any connection going to create a story.

When's Ace Trucking going to get involved that's what I want to know... it wouldn't suprise me!

Steve Green

Al did the same in The Americans, John has done it twice + a Rogue Trooper story.

Then you've got Pat doing his bit with ABC Warriors and Savage, and Ian doing his Edgeverse thing.

I think it's unfair to single out Mike if you dislike that sort of thing.

Richard

Indeed. And I like that kind of thing anyway.

sheridan

Quote from: Jacqusie on 11 July, 2017, 10:40:04 PM
As for the Dredd / SD thing? Carrols Dredd is now becoming a rather silly parody that seems to want to use any connection going to create a story.

First, I like that kind of thing too (especially as it's just using connections that already exist) and secondly, on what other occassions have SD characters appeared in Carroll's Dredd?

A.Cow

Quote from: sheridan on 13 July, 2017, 03:30:58 PM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 11 July, 2017, 10:40:04 PM
... on what other occassions have SD characters appeared in Carroll's Dredd?

I'm not sure he means just SD characters -- recent "stunt" cameos by Armitage & Koburn come to mind too.  And Joyce & Dolman are more defined by their relationship to Dredd history than by their own personalities.

However, to play devil's advocate, he's created lots of original characters like Pax and Oswin.

I guess there's always a fanboy tendency to want to tie things to existing continuity.  Personally, I loved the Kreelman reference.  Michael Carroll possibly just needs to rein that kind of thing in somewhat, to keep it special.