Main Menu

40th Anniversary Special

Started by sheridan, 22 February, 2017, 12:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Mine came today and the Carlos cover is indeed mighty - much better in the flesh - a bold thing of substance which feels like 40 years gone by.  :thumbsup:

The Dante story is sublime and one wonders if this is just a one off, or we might see some more flash back tales in the future as we continue to wonder what happened next...

Mattofthespurs

No anniversary special for me today but I did get the prog.

user2000

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 25 February, 2017, 09:31:42 AM
No anniversary special for me today but I did get the prog.

LOL, I got the special but no prog  ::)

sheridan

Of the strips appearing, I'm happy to see more

• Dredd - naturally, but just being complete
  • Ro-Busters - good job, as I suspect we're going to be getting more!
  • Durham Red - written by Lauren Beukes and Dale Halvorsen, as I feel they really captured the character and feel of the stories (I'm also happy to see more of the Saint Durham version of the character)
  • Slaine - same as Ro-Busters - happy to see more, but moot point as we're going to get another book sometime in the future anyway!
On the flip side, I'd rather not see any more:

• Zombo - 'sokay, but I feel both Al Ewing and Henry Flint can do better work when they're not working on this parody / pastiche
  • Nikolai Dante - I liked this one-off, but the story as it stands is complete - more one-offs are one thing, but a new series would have to really add something to the beginning, middle and end which were planned for the whole of the ten year original run

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 24 February, 2017, 11:28:12 PM
And I liked the interview with John Probe.

Must have missed the Probe interview?

Richard

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 26 February, 2017, 04:16:03 PM
John Probe is MACH One.

I was thinking of the mini-insert bit with creator interviews.

Spikes

The Carlos cover has proved impossible to track down in the Grimsby/Cleethorpes conurbation, so online ordering it is then.

Looks to have sold out on the 2000ad shop?

Mardroid

Cover - Lovely. (I bought the Carlos Ezquerra one.)

I loved having the little gag 'tween' strips. Very amusing. The second one before Zombo with that chap being interviewed and sitting on the Zombo lookalike's lap (actually was that the Visible man?)  kind of went over my head. I'm assuming this is a character (Mach ...?) before my time in the prog.

Judge Dredd - Okay story, although quite linear. Nice art.

Zombo - This strip isn't usually my cup of tea, but I liked this one. Again the gag at the end flew over my head as I think it featured a character before my time.

Ro-Busters - The story was simple, amusing, but okay. The art was lovely. I really liked the lead-in one pager by TMO, and Mark Sexton.

Giant Robots two-page Spread - I don't remember those characters (apart from Mek-Quake at the bottom. Just shows how big the others actually are when you consider how dwarfed he is here in his kill-dozer mode), but it's a cracking picture.

Durham Red - Highlight of the strip in my opinion. Great twisty story and nice Ezquerra art. When I found out there wasn't a Strontium Dog story in the prog*, I'll admit I mentally questioned Johnny being on the front cover. (I kind of like my covers to have something to do with the contents, unless it's a big 'loads of characters included' crowd scene.) It turns out Johnny features a lot in this story though, so fair enough. In fact, it wouldn't be out of place as a Strontium Dog story, despite it being very much dominated by Durham Red. Its fitting she is the title character for this story, though, the conniving minx. She really owns it.

Slaine - Of the two Pat Mills stories, this is my favourite. That's unusual as I usually much prefer modern Ro-Busters/ABC Warriors to modern Slaine, but this was such an entertaining story. It was so very silly and twisted, but not in a bad way. Funny stuff, if rather warped (no pun intended). [spoiler]I wonder how Calad fared as a member of the Red Branch though. Did Cathbad magically reconnect his bits, I wonder?[/spoiler] I seem to remember the name 'Cathbad' from mythology, which is nice.

The lead in strip before Nikolai Dante - [spoiler]are they suggesting Tharg and Burt were having an affair in the broom cupboard, or do I have a filthy mind?[/spoiler]

Nikolai Dante - A great little one-off. I liked the 'sort of cameos' of other characters. I appreciate the storyline is over, but I probably wouldn't mind more if they had a good idea. The idea mentioned in the Primer of a story based on other characters in that world might be a better route to go though.

*Entitled 'Strontium Dog', I mean. The Durham Red strip does actually feature two dogs, but you know what I mean.

Magnetica

Quote from: Mardroid on 28 February, 2017, 02:52:30 AM

When I found out there wasn't a Strontium Dog story in the prog*, I'll admit I mentally questioned Johnny being on the front cover. (I kind of like my covers to have something to do with the contents, unless it's a big 'loads of characters included' crowd scene.)

I guess the thing about it is, it is the 40th Anniversary special and I think it is fair to say Strontium Dog is 2000AD's 2nd best well know strip, so given that I think it is perfectly reasonable for him to be on the cover. And Carlos is probably 2000AD's best loved artist and these are "his" two main 2000AD characters...so of course they are going to feature on the cover...I would have thought...

Spaceghost

Can't find this anywhere in Leeds and it's sold out in the 2000 AD shop too.

Hope I haven't missed out. Anyone know of a way to get hold of one?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

sheridan

Quote from: Spaceghost on 28 February, 2017, 08:06:42 AM

I'll try to remember next time I go to my local comic shop (which does mail order).

Mattofthespurs

Still no sign of my two copies.  :(

Link Prime

Great to hear that this has been a deserved success.
Sold like hot cakes in my LCS in Dublin. They have no Ezquerra covers left, just a few Aja.
They deliver to the UK if you're interested. Email; info@thebigbang.ie

Regardless, hope you manage to get a copy Lee.

dweezil2

You could give Big Bang Comics a ring, they had some according to their Twitter feed!

http://thebigbang.ie
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo